The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Ideas for Protective Scale (Dragonknight)

HowellQagan
HowellQagan
✭✭✭
Let's be honest, the skill and its morphs are a bit lackluster, it would be nice to spice it up a bit. There is another "wing" skill, Falcon's Swiftness (Warden) which as the name suggests, makes the user run faster.
How about adding an extra niche use to Protective Scales and making it even more protective? For example it could grant the player a 50% fall damage reduction for the same 6 seconds it lasts.
Why? Well it's 1) protective 2) dragon wings, and dragons do land with a big boom and they don't get damaged, do they? Plus it looks super cool to use the skill before jumping off places.
That annoying dude on PC-EU.
  • HowellQagan
    HowellQagan
    ✭✭✭
    *Maybe even allow use mid-air?
  • paganslyer
    paganslyer
    ✭✭
    that skills need to go back and allow to reflect spells like before
    i agree that it was little bit OP ....but increase to cost of this skill and adding increase cost for spamming like dodge and streak wiil be enough nerf
    the reflect was define DK back then like cloak define NB
    now DK has no identity :(
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The patch they removed wings was a tough one, because it was also the patch that they gave us our 'stam whip' in the form of Molten Whip without loosing stacks on use. It was clear that it was more about maintenance issues than actual balance. They had to review the list of skills it could and couldn't reflect nearly every patch and players on both sides had to keep these lists in mind. But there could have been an easier way to solve the issue (in terms of gameplay, probably would have been some extra overhead on the tech side) if they just took into consideration *why* the skill existed in the first place.

DKs are notoriously melee-ranged combatants and the purpose of the original Wings was that it could be used to close the gap. A small change could have kept this original use in mind while still providing better balance. Make it reflect all player projectiles if they are fired outside of melee range, 8 meters. Inside of that range, do nothing, or maybe just give reduced damage or something. Now DKs have a way to force players to close the gap for them. And range players still have counterplay.
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Imagine still complaining about wings in 2020. Literally just don't slot the POS. Works well for me on both my DKs.

Woops, all three of them.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are so many ideas to beef them up. My personal favorite is the minimum range reflect to allow a certain degree of counterplay.
    While the fall dmg suggestion makes sense, I don’t feel like it fits the class at all.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wings needs something to compete with RAT because at the moment it is out-classed in basically every way by that skill.

The reflect minimum distance is interesting but failing that you need something to enhance the mobility of the class, which means either Major/Minor Expedition or a heaping-long period of snare immunity.
    Kadoin wrote: »
    Imagine still complaining about wings in 2020. Literally just don't slot the POS. Works well for me on both my DKs.

Woops, all three of them.

I mean, nobody should embrace having a useless skill as part of their class kit.

By that logic, magCros should simply shut up and enjoy their broken Blastbones forever and resign themselves to having a permanently useless Grave Grasp skill eating up valuable class skill real estate.

Certainly, drop the skill from builds at the current moment but one should never stop advocating to improve their class.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wings need major expedition added to the base skill of Protective Scale for 6 seconds same as Falcon's Swiftness for wardens. Remove it from chains.

Be safe and have fun :)
  • HowellQagan
    HowellQagan
    ✭✭✭
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »
    Wings need major expedition added to the base skill of Protective Scale for 6 seconds same as Falcon's Swiftness for wardens. Remove it from chains.

Be safe and have fun :)

Yep, it makes no sense to have it on chains. I'm already next to my target, why would I need to run faster?
  • NeillMcAttack
    NeillMcAttack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your idea is actually a good one, the reason being is that StamDK, ever since the healing reduction to BS, they are not in a good place, all they have is leap, which just leads to dysync’s but that’s another story.
    But on the other side you have MagDK, whereby they are in a solid place and a proper buff to wings may be a bit much.

It’s really a catch 22 with wings right now.
    PC EU - NoCP PvP, is real PvP
    Tiidehunter Nord StamDK EP PvP Main
    Legion Commander Tresdin Stamplar DC PvE Main
    Sephirith Altmer MagPlar EP Gondar the Bounty Hunter Khajiit StamBlade DC
    The Dirge Redguard StamNecro EP Disruptor Stormcrafter Nord StamSorc AD
    Lone Druid Bosmer Stam Warden EP Necro-Phos Argonian MagBlade AD
    @ McAttack in game
    Played since beta, and then on console at release, until the game became unplayable on console.
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    paganslyer wrote: »
    i agree that it was little bit OP ....but increase to cost of this skill and adding increase cost for spamming like dodge and streak wiil be enough nerf

“A little op” - literally this 1 skill negates the almost the entire toolkit of a magsorc and mag nightblade.

“now DK has no identy” - it has by far the best PvP ultimate in the game leap, which is incredible as an offensive and defensive ult with the strongest uncleansable snare in the game, the strongest and most DOT skill toolkit, the best sing target CC around fossilise and the only class with minor brutality, access to major mending, minor vitality and 12% on some other passive, the best sustain passives getting stats for applying poisoned, burning and ult use. I would say overall its probably one of the best PvP classes for stam and mag is incredibly strong in no CP, whilst being basically the undisputed PvE tank meta for as long as I’ve played the game.

Complaining about ‘class identity’ is usually followed by a request for some incredibly overpowered skill to be changed back like cc on c frag or major defile on incap. No class is homogenous everything feels and plays uniquely and the devs add class skills like a spammable for stam DK and added one for stamsorc, its just no one does or will use them.
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fawn4287 wrote: »
    paganslyer wrote: »

“A little op” - literally this 1 skill negates the almost the entire toolkit of a magsorc and mag nightblade.

“now DK has no identy” - it has by far the best PvP ultimate in the game leap, which is incredible as an offensive and defensive ult with the strongest uncleansable snare in the game, the strongest and most DOT skill toolkit, the best sing target CC around fossilise and the only class with minor brutality, access to major mending, minor vitality and 12% on some other passive, the best sustain passives getting stats for applying poisoned, burning and ult use. I would say overall its probably one of the best PvP classes for stam and mag is incredibly strong in no CP, whilst being basically the undisputed PvE tank meta for as long as I’ve played the game.

Complaining about ‘class identity’ is usually followed by a request for some incredibly overpowered skill to be changed back like cc on c frag or major defile on incap. No class is homogenous everything feels and plays uniquely and the devs add class skills like a spammable for stam DK and added one for stamsorc, its just no one does or will use them.

You could argue that shield stacking negates the damage toolkit of literally everything in the game but at the end of the day, shields are just another tool which costs time and resources to maintain, just like wings. I'm still sticking with my suggestion that requiring a maximum distance before reflection would have be a nice solution. The key aspect of the skill was that it was fun and rewarding to use when it reflected things.

However, I will agree with you that a lot of people get carried away with this whole 'my class has no identity'. For me, all of my characters have a unique feel and playstyle to them, some I prefer more than others simply because they lend themselves to how I like to play. For example, I feel fast, brutal, and indefinitely sustainable on my stamsorc.
  • lucky_Sage
    lucky_Sage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could reduce all dmg by 10%
    DC PC NA
    Magdk - main
    Stamcro - alt

AD PS4 NA -retired (PC runs way better to play on console)
    magdk
    magblade
    stamplar
    magden
    magsorc

• Spartabunny08
    Spartabunny08
    ✭✭✭✭
    Let's be honest, the skill and its morphs are a bit lackluster, it would be nice to spice it up a bit. There is another "wing" skill, Falcon's Swiftness (Warden) which as the name suggests, makes the user run faster.
    How about adding an extra niche use to Protective Scales and making it even more protective? For example it could grant the player a 50% fall damage reduction for the same 6 seconds it lasts.
    Why? Well it's 1) protective 2) dragon wings, and dragons do land with a big boom and they don't get damaged, do they? Plus it looks super cool to use the skill before jumping off places.

90% damage reduction they are after all The Tank class if the game. Oh and if not this then absolutely absorbs all projectiles. Everyone complained about dying from eating there own projectiles so why did they stop it entirely? DragonKnight needs minor and major protection in the toolkit they have.

Buff DragonKnight...