The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Heavy attacks sustain gain

zvavi
zvavi
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
We all love heavy attacking for resources (no we don't) but it seemed like zos wanted to make heavy attacking more viable against off balanced targets, therefore the suggestion, instead of double resources gain when target is off balanced, make it X2.5. Still damage loss, still worse than spell symmetry, but definitely more viable.

While at it:
Fix lightning staves getting X4 bonus from vMA staff.
Make vMA staff giving heavy attacks triple the dmg boost (to better compare damage gain on la vs ha compared to time taken to use).
Rework fire & ice animation + sound to feel more fun.
  • Playboy_Shrek
    Playboy_Shrek
    ✭✭✭
    it doesn't even make any sense why HA gives resources. like what logic is behind it?

anyway. just reduce HA wind up animation to maximum charge by like 30%.
  • SedoUmbra
    SedoUmbra
    ✭✭✭
    it doesn't even make any sense why HA gives resources. like what logic is behind it?

I agree that thinking logically, it makes no sense for a more powerful attack to, not only not drain, but in fact restore resources. Weird design decision.

But as a game mechanic, I have absolutely no issues with it yet, but I'm yet to even touch Trials, so I don't know all the struggles yet.

• LovesCoffee
    LovesCoffee
    ✭✭
    While at it:
    Fix lightning staves getting X4 bonus from vMA staff.

u're talking about heavy attacks i belive, then restro staff heavy works same way because it's channeling attack too so there is really nothing to fix, it works as intended, i don't see a lot of ppl using lighting staves and there is a reason for it, atm they're outperforms fire staffs on trash packs only, if devs will make only last tick to get bonus from vMA staff this will make them useless completely even on trash packs (if we're talking about using it in pair with vMA lightning staff to get juicy heavy attacks from front bar), as for light attacks there is no X4 bonus as u told. So bonus from vMA staff blockade to each tick of channeling attack only used by absulute minority of players because all this game and rest of it's skill mechanics build around light attacks where lightning staff got disadvantage, light attack rotations giving best results compared to heavy attack rotations which, as i wrote before, only used by few players in a specific builds without pretending to outperform meta builds based on light attacks. I don't get what u meant by triple bonus, vMA staff currently boosts light and heavy attacks for 1353 damage, so u want it to be 4059 damage boost for heavy attacks? This could be nice for ppl who using HA builds but this will break a lot of stuff, i think devs wanted fire staffs to give more damage on single target, and if they will boosts vMA bonus to heavy attacks to x3 and at the same time remove this bonus from channeling attacks this will kill lightning staffs completely because even now ppl who using it doing a trade off, they're getting less damage from actual skills in exchange to get more damage with heavy attacks, which, currently, giving u less damage overall in exchange of having better sustain, which is not a big deal even in dungeons, not saying about trials. But im agreed it's looks wrong when ppl using heavy attacks to restore resources and getting less damage compared to light attacks, it's just doesn't sounds "heavy"
    Edited by LovesCoffee on August 9, 2020 10:52AM
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember when they tried to change HA and LA last patch on the PTS and everyone lost their minds because the LA’s were going to restore rss and be true “light attacks”

The comments on the forums were a real clown show. Heavy attacks should probably hit a lot harder and light attacks a lot weaker. Honestly both should restore rss in my opinion. But I can understand why they have done it this way because if you took sustain out of the equation players could build massive bursts more often and that would be equally as bad.

I’m the end you can’t win with the ESO crowd when it comes to changes. Half the players will be upset regardless.
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really understand why LA or HA would restore rss in the first place. They should be just dealing damage. LA damage feels too high as well. It'd make sense if rss came from skill or racial passives imho.
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Attempting to find logic in how things work in a fantasy game is a futile effort. How do we throw fire, frost, and shock, from a stick?

As for the history of this, when the game launched the rStaff had a passive that provided a return of resources when doing a heavy attack. Clearly, something to keep healers in magicka. The rStaff also had a passive that increased all damage, while the rStaff was active, by 10% which went with the theme that healers should ber able to do damage.

That resulted in many DD builds using the rStaff for non-weapon skills as it boosted the damage. It was great for sorcs running haunting curse and frags. Zos seemed to want to curb the use of the rStaff for this unintended purpose and remove the damage passively and gave all weapons the sustain on heavy attacks.

On a side note, immediately after this change players started picking up the bow to use it's passive that increases damage when at range. It was quickly changed to only affect bow skills.

This is just a history of the game. I am not arguing either way with what OP is saying.