The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Should I use the bear as my elite skill on warden?

HunterTheCapricorn
I don't know but somehow both bear and bow have a bad aftertaste in my mouth because in a different MMO (I won't name it here since that's propaganda for another rival game that I've been playing for 8 years) both were a bad sign and don't want to come across as bad. I don't people judging me or making assumptions although this might be just my general anxiety and paranoia.
I'm mostly solo because I found nobody like minded so far (according to my post where I'm still looking for people to tag along in a different sub category) and I feel pressured to play something that is accepted rather than playing what brings me joy.
I stopped ESO for like a year and I just try to come back now but I don't feel very comfortable.
Anyways, I played with the bear for a long time but then I swapped it because it felt disgusting based on the bad experiences I had in the other game as "bearbow" was always considered useless and a sign of bad players back then in 2012. Funny that a lot of Soulbeast builds there now use the bear but that's a different topic.
So, what would you say?
I'd like to play how I want but that is a double sided coin since I'm always afraid of other people and the need to proove myself.
However so far I could solo dungeons and even world bosses fairly easy.
I'm Hunter|he/him|character page is in progress and will be coming soon
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would purge your memory of all other games when playing ESO. Some really weird stuff goes on here like vampires being able to wield fire and light magic and summoned Daedric pets not being criminal acts When in towns!

Anyhow about that bear. I also play warden and I solo a lot. I run DW front and Bow back bar. So 95% of my fights are right up in the enemies face. I utilize pretty much the entire animal companion skills to across my two bars. If I can summon it you better believe I’m bringing it to the party.

The bear is basically a second DD and a mini tank for you in most of your fights. Not all bosses will aggro to the bear but when they do that takes the pressure off you a bit and when soloing that can be a good thing. The Ult cost to use it is very cheap too so you can keep casting it fairly regularly and don’t really have to pick your spots like you do with some other class ultimates.

Personally I find the bear excellent for solo play but it can be a bit unruly in group play because sometimes it will aggro a boss fight when the tank is explaining mechanics so when I do bring my bear along I disable it after the last trash encounter and before the next boss fights. It’s not a big problem for some mini boss fights but final dungeon and trial bosses it will attack often without provocation especially when the group is trying to pre position and setup a good formation for a fight. Eventually you’ll learn that you need to sometimes lock him up and recall it as the tank move into position. You’ll understand the timing to more you do it.

Bear is also good for keeping overland trash off you in case you have to go AFK while wandering the fields and forests of Tamriel. He’s a loyal protector and does his job well!
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you have a personal aversion to the bear, whether because of bad memories or just because you don't like bears, don't feel like you have to use it. But if your bad feelings come from worrying about being judged harshly by other players, that's not something you have to worry about here. The bear is a perfectly valid combat option, and most stamina builds use bow on at least one bar, so anybody who gives you crap about using a bow is dumb. Like Everest_Lionheart said, you'll learn how to use both more effectively as you get experience in different situations.

Well actually, there is one thing people will judge wardens harshly on. Just keep that dadgum bear away from crafting stations and NPCs and anything else that can be interacted with. :grimace:
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Depends...do you enjoy it? That's where I start.

I have a Warden Healer who has totally different builds for Normal or Overland Vs Vet.

In vet, she is all about the healing forest as her Ulti, and runs Sanctuary and Lamia's - which sounds odd, but when the crunch comes, Lamia's procs a nice healing burst off her ulti that works fantastically.

Overland, being able to double up on "Bear Attack" AND a blast of healing, is a really nice combo.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My experience with the bear is that it is more bother than it is worth. It's been a while since I've used it, but when I did, I had to have the bear on both bars as my ultimate, or it would disappear whenever I swapped bars. The bear is ok for one bar's ultimate, but having to give up both ain't worth it for me, once I had others to choose from.
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For me I usually use the same ulti on both bars unless I have some reason not to; that's very much my preference.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry too much. If anyone critisizes you for how you play, they are ignorant morons.

Actually the Warden class lends itself really well to Bow/Bow Builds. Only StamSorc with their clanfear morph comes close. All others loose their pets on a timer. And the bear is an ultimate so you dont loose out on bar space. Meaning the warden can use 10 slots for active skills (StamSorcs only 8). You can slot one more heal or two! Slot CamoHunter or another supportskill.
    The bears Ultimateability can do a lot of damage. When it crits in execute range, mine can do a whooping 70k to 80k damage. How is that wrong?

Two builds as comparison:
    BowBow: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=262488 (That one is a beast)
    TwoHand: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=235582

Your bear makes you better. Never forget that!
    Edited by Zodiarkslayer on August 1, 2020 9:50AM
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play pve only and mostly solo. I have a bow/bow stam warden with bear and assure you it can be an effective build. I run pure archers on sorc, ward, templar and NB and rate the warden for that purpose way up with my sorc and well above my templar and NB. My warden does more dps than my sorc but the sorc is a little better at both survival and sustain. Both are very fun and solid archers. Overall, I find the bear to be the best ultimate for the bow warden (over ballista or dawnbreaker).
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • what_the
    what_the
    ✭✭✭
    and then some Stamdens run a werewolf ultimate.....
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. The warden is nothing like a Guild Wars ranger. I imagine that's true of Guild Wars 2 rangers as well, but I never played one in that game.

2. People complain in this game that no matter what class you play, you wind up using many of the same skills, especially for stamina-based characters. Wardens (magicka- and stamina-based alike) can be an exception. It makes sense when soloing to literally put all 6 Animal Companion skills on your front bar and play mainly from that bar. My bow/bow warden is almost as strong solo as my magicka characters, and the only weapon skill he uses is Arrow Barrage.

3. My magicka warden is indeed stronger than my stamina warden. He also uses just a single weapon skill.
  • dogshaman
    dogshaman
    ✭✭✭
    Before the INCIDENT, Washargo would always have the bear by his side. Whether from afar with the bow, or upclose with maces, the bear would always keep the enemy at bay when needed.
    (( warden is the best class at generating ultimate quickly and bear's ultimate attack can be used very often ))

It was also fun in Cyrodiil, hiding in the environment or behind allies and sending a bear after enemy combatants!
    (( holding the Y key and left click on the enemy to send the bear to attack ))

But after the INCIDENT, Washargo has the lycanthropy and bear cannot stand to be around him.
    However, this one now has two vicious, but friendly, wolves to hunt with Washargo!
    Bear is good, but having wolf friends and being part of a pack is better for this one.
    Washargo ~ Khajiit Warden Werewolf
    a.k.a. Wrongway Washargo, Wash the Elderly
    ~ Wanted by the Daggerfall Covenant and Ebonheart Pact for thievery, pickpocketing, impersonating a Daedric Prince, pandemonium and general mayhem
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A bear update from my perspective.

I’m a stamina DPS on my warden and the damage the bear deals is just too great to pass up especially on its ultimate because it charges so fast. I’m looking at critical hits in excess of 120K a pop. That’s without bloodthirsty jewelry during the execution phase. I’m interested to see what kind of numbers I can pull on my bear once I get the BT jewelry equipped.
  • joseayalac
    joseayalac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bear is good, the bear is effective in this game.
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    dogshaman wrote: »
    Before the INCIDENT, Washargo would always have the bear by his side. Whether from afar with the bow, or upclose with maces, the bear would always keep the enemy at bay when needed.
    (( warden is the best class at generating ultimate quickly and bear's ultimate attack can be used very often ))

It was also fun in Cyrodiil, hiding in the environment or behind allies and sending a bear after enemy combatants!
    (( holding the Y key and left click on the enemy to send the bear to attack ))

But after the INCIDENT, Washargo has the lycanthropy and bear cannot stand to be around him.
    However, this one now has two vicious, but friendly, wolves to hunt with Washargo!
    Bear is good, but having wolf friends and being part of a pack is better for this one.

After Yffre abandoned the Bosmer this is what happened with my main Bosmer Warden. Bye, Bear, don't eat my boat, Bear; hello Hircine.
    My other Bosmer remain faithful to the Green Pact, but that's more inertia than anything else. The pact is dead. There are no Bosmer anymore.

Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • dogshaman
    dogshaman
    ✭✭✭
    When this one still ran with the bear, Washargo wanted to truly experience the "elf life" while visiting Grahtwood.

Although following the Green Pact and eating only meat for months did not sit well with this one, or bear's stomach.
    There was much growling and gurgling to be heard.

It was then, that Washargo decided to never go full Bosmer again.
    And as for bear?
    Bear is good and loyal companion, but flatulent bear? ....... Not so fragrant.

Washargo ~ Khajiit Warden Werewolf
    a.k.a. Wrongway Washargo, Wash the Elderly
    ~ Wanted by the Daggerfall Covenant and Ebonheart Pact for thievery, pickpocketing, impersonating a Daedric Prince, pandemonium and general mayhem
  • Mortiis13
    Mortiis13
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bear could be nice if it's ultimate where more defensiv. So u have the additional dot and an oh *** button.
    Something like :bear soaks x% of the dmg u take for x sec but stops attacking.

That execute it has is so slow rn^^

Edited by Mortiis13 on August 7, 2020 3:40PM
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3qhEIZBlX8&t=85s

Bear apparently has enhanced resistance to poison and immunity to the poisoned effect. Ergo: warden bears are actually former Bosmer. Gosh darn it.

So the video evidence is pretty convincing. Use the bear.
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow...words fail me about that video 🤣
  • WastedJoker
    WastedJoker
    ✭✭✭
    My only issues with the bear are:

Visually it often looks like his swipes do no damage - like I'll see the animation for the bear on an enemy but their HP bar doesn't move :(

Takes too long to summon

Would prefer more manual control over when it performs the AoE move. It seems to not be optimized for when there's a group to use it on.

Let me guess, someone stole your sweetroll!
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elvenheart wrote: »
    Wow...words fail me about that video 🤣

I feel that video in my soul when I’m delve diving and looting containers on my warden!

“Bear please stop!”

Always getting in the way!
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Visually it often looks like his swipes do no damage - like I'll see the animation for the bear on an enemy but their HP bar doesn't move :(

Takes too long to summon

Would prefer more manual control over when it performs the AoE move. It seems to not be optimized for when there's a group to use it on.

The regular bear attacks don’t hit that hard but the ultimates make up for it. Mine often go for 120K+ in the execute phase.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of ESOs little pleasures, is playing a Warden, with a bear pet, bear mount and bear ultimate out.

Aww... a bear family!

Don't judge me.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of ESOs little pleasures, is playing a Warden, with a bear pet, bear mount and bear ultimate out.

Aww... a bear family!

Don't judge me.

That's unbearably cute.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on August 11, 2020 10:16AM
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Takes too long to summon

yup....needs a fix that does....
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joxer61 wrote: »

Takes too long to summon

yup....needs a fix that does....

Cast bird of prey before summoning the bear and dance around all those incoming attacks. Works great for stamina at least. Most people only slot the skill for the extra 8% damage and never use it, but it’s definitely useful in certain situations.