Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "ESO is coming to the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5"

ZOS_SarahHecker
ZOS_SarahHecker
✭✭✭✭✭
8n3ybeydwqpk.png

This is the official discussion thread for the blog article "ESO is coming to the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5"

The Elder Scrolls Online is coming to the Xbox Series X and PlayStation®5!
Staff Post
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "In addition to this, we also plan to support backward compatibility. What does this mean, exactly? We’re working hard so that when the Xbox Series X and PlayStation®5 launches, if you are a PS4 or Xbox One player, you can continue playing with your same accounts via backward compatibility on your respective next-gen consoles without interruption or loss of progress--same characters, servers, everything!"

My expectation is that this would be a given, not something that needs to be worked on. I don't care if it is free to upgrade, if I have to start over, just "no".
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    "In addition to this, we also plan to support backward compatibility. What does this mean, exactly? We’re working hard so that when the Xbox Series X and PlayStation®5 launches, if you are a PS4 or Xbox One player, you can continue playing with your same accounts via backward compatibility on your respective next-gen consoles without interruption or loss of progress--same characters, servers, everything!"

My expectation is that this would be a given, not something that needs to be worked on. I don't care if it is free to upgrade, if I have to start over, just "no".

This.

Furthermore, I play on xbox one x, which has significant graphical enhancements over the normal xbox 1 version of eso. I expect to see further graphical improvements on xbox series x. I'll be very disappointed if I learn that the xbox series x version looks the same as the xbox one x. Even worse, I'll be ready to call it quits if the xbox one x runs the regular xbox 1 version, and playing eso on next gen results in a graphical downgrade.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Same. As the GM of a guild, I was expecting not to abandon everything simply because I upgraded my console. But I guess "yay" for confirmation of that? :/
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • ZOS_SarahHecker
    ZOS_SarahHecker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to clarify: you will be able to carry over your progress no matter what. It's just that the upgraded version will not be available immediately upon the launch of the Xbox Series X and PlayStation5.
    Staff Post
  • devildog13_93
    devildog13_93
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any information of what the upgrade contains?
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just to clarify: you will be able to carry over your progress no matter what. It's just that the upgraded version will not be available immediately upon the launch of the Xbox Series X and PlayStation5.

Okay, so we upgrade when it is available and keep everything we already have - all progress, guilds, etc. Fantastic thing.

What all is going into the upgraded version? Just the backwards compatibility of not losing our stuff or is there more to it than that?
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • Jarrods32
    Jarrods32
    ✭✭✭
    Digital copies will carry over or do u need a hard copy
  • ZOS_SarahHecker
    ZOS_SarahHecker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We don't have more information to share at this time about the next-gen versions. Stay tuned!

@Jarrods32 digital and physical copies will count.
    Staff Post
  • DarkPicture
    DarkPicture
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does ps4 and ps5 players will play together on the same server or separete? Im curious.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Browart wrote: »
    Does ps4 and ps5 players will play together on the same server or separete? Im curious.

Same, it's stated in the article.
  • mdylan2013
    mdylan2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Browart wrote: »

Yes
    PS4/EU
    CP-1300+
    PSN - LookoutLuke
    15 Max level toons
    PVE/PVP
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ahh. Ok. Thanks!
  • WoppaBoem
    WoppaBoem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a hard copy with that be upgraded for free to a digital copy please please?

And awesome looking forward to the re-relause of ESO on next Gen, build it towards awesomeniss thanks.
    Xbox EU & NA - PVP Only
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want the team to confirm @ZOS_GinaBruno or @ZOS_SarahHecker specific to Xbox.

-If we own it digitally on Xbox One and upgrade to Xbox Series X, will our save sync if I play on either console after the upgrade?

This is VERY important for Xbox due to how the family of consoles work. It would be the first game to limit a save but I know your DRM is outside of Xbox Live for a lot of content so I must ask for clarification.

This isn’t an Xbox Live question.

Specific examples:

1. If I buy DLC on your in game store after I upgrade, will that DLC apply regardless of the console I choose to play on. Xbox One or Xbox Series X

2. If I subscribe to ESO Plus in the Xbox Live Store, will that subscription apply to both the Xbox One and Xbox Series X sku’s after an upgrade? (I have an active sub is why I need to know)

3. If I’m playing on Xbox Series X and decide to exit out. Then log into the Xbox One X in another room, will my status immediately carry over? (This works on Xbox one a and Xbox one x today)
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on August 6, 2020 4:31PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So the game not working on 4 platforms wasn't enough huh? 😂
  • jbOblivion
    jbOblivion
    ✭✭
    Will the Xbox live (not just in-game) achievements for Savior of Elsweyr, Wrothgar Adventurer and Big Score (Tel Var stones) work on Xbox Series X? If so, will the dev team be able to fix these for the current Xbox One generation?

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/533772/why-have-these-three-xbox-achievements-been-broken-since-nov-2019-savior-of-elsweyr

It is dispiriting to see that this issue has not yet been officially acknowledged by the dev team over other (very welcome) game announcements.
    Edited by jbOblivion on August 6, 2020 7:00PM
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jbOblivion wrote: »
    Will the Xbox live (not just in-game) achievements for Savior of Elsweyr, Wrothgar Adventurer and Big Score (Tel Var stones) work on Xbox Series X? If so, will the dev team be able to fix these for the current Xbox One generation?

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/533772/why-have-these-three-xbox-achievements-been-broken-since-nov-2019-savior-of-elsweyr

It is dispiriting to see that this issue has not yet been officially acknowledged by the dev team over other (very welcome) game announcements.

I'm sure they will. Achievements follow your xbox account, and xbox should recognize eso and next gen enhanced eso as the same game.
  • ZOS_SarahHecker
    ZOS_SarahHecker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jbOblivion wrote: »

We have a fix for these in the works. Exact timing is still TBD but we're hoping to have it in Update 27.
    Staff Post
  • Jeirno
    Jeirno
    ✭✭✭✭

This.

Furthermore, I play on xbox one x, which has significant graphical enhancements over the normal xbox 1 version of eso. I expect to see further graphical improvements on xbox series x. I'll be very disappointed if I learn that the xbox series x version looks the same as the xbox one x. Even worse, I'll be ready to call it quits if the xbox one x runs the regular xbox 1 version, and playing eso on next gen results in a graphical downgrade.

Sorry, but I couldn't help but wonder. you really play an MMO for the graphics? The game don't look good on PC and I wont look good on console, what you want is an performance increase not graphical improvement at least from what I've heard and seen on how bad the performance is on console
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZOS_SarahHecker

Ok, without adding anything, can you confirm the following understanding:

1. Eso should be playable on next gen consoles when they launch via backwards compatibility.

2. People who own eso on console any time before the release of the next gen upgraded version will get the next gen upgraded version for free.

3. All aspects of your eso console account will transfer between current gen and next gen, on the same server, preserving all gameplay and social elements of your characters.

4. The next gen upgraded version of eso will have some enhancements from the current gen version.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeirno wrote: »

This.

Sorry, but I couldn't help but wonder. you really play an MMO for the graphics? The game don't look good on PC and I wont look good on console, what you want is an performance increase not graphical improvement at least from what I've heard and seen on how bad the performance is on console

Eso on regular xbox 1 is rough, but on xbox 1 x, it's solid 30fps at 4k, with some decent fidelity enhancements. Obviously not mind blowing, but the the game looks and runs great of xbox 1x, all for a good value.

If they leverage a significant prtion of xbox series x's power for the next gen enhanced version, the result should be something that rivals most mid to high end gaming PCs, again for a good value.
  • WildRaptorX
    WildRaptorX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All our characters, achievements, paid expansions and eso plus are saved to our PS/Microsoft account. All data transfers over, if you use the same account, you’ll have all your stuff. That’s how it works for current comparability.

When you get the PS5/Series X, all you have to do is log in with the same account/gamertag what you’re using now and everything will still be the same.

I just wanna know if we will get updated graphics! I bet we will still be stuck at 30fps because of balance. -.-
    Edited by WildRaptorX on August 6, 2020 9:22PM
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keylun wrote: »
    All our characters, achievements, paid expansions and eso plus are saved to our PS/Microsoft account. All data transfers over, if you use the same account, you’ll have all your stuff. That’s how it works for current comparability.

When you get the PS5/Series X, all you have to do is log in with the same account/gamertag what you’re using now and everything will still be the same.

I just wanna know if we will get updated graphics! I bet we will still be stuck at 30fps because of balance. -.-

I think there is more to it because the Xbox Series X is a backwards compatible console, which means by default the game would play on the console "as if its an Xbox One game" but Zenimax is choosing to offer an upgrade so its an Xbox Series X game. That's what being discussed here...and while Zenimax may be unclear on how exactly backwards compatibility will work, that is being done by Xbox, they wouldn't speak or write on that part here logically. *(reference at bottom)

There is an important distinction there which seems to require an official "upgrade" that one company is encouraging developers to offer for free while the other is not.

To be more specific, on Xbox Live at least, this is the ONLY game where paid content purchased on the Xbox store isn't shareable. (DLC, Chapters, etc.) I also had a thought that I detailed above.

*Preserving Your Gaming Legacy

As gamers, we also know how important it is to preserve and respect our gaming legacies. Your favorite games and franchises, your progression and achievements, and the friendships and communities you create through gaming should all move with you across generations. Not only that, your favorite gaming accessories and peripherals should also move forward with you as well.

Our goal has always been to empower gamers to play the best versions of games from across four generations of Xbox at the launch of Xbox Series X. These principles were key to us from Day 1 and influenced many of our design decisions as we started on our journey to create our most powerful and compatible console ever.

All Games Play Better on Xbox Series X

Not only should gamers be able to play all of these games from the past, but they should play better than ever before. Backwards compatible games run natively on the Xbox Series X hardware, running with the full power of the CPU, GPU and the SSD. No boost mode, no downclocking, the full power of the Xbox Series X for each and every backward compatible game. This means that all titles run at the peak performance that they were originally designed for, many times even higher performance than the games saw on their original launch platform, resulting in higher and more steady framerates and rendering at their maximum resolution and visual quality.

Link to articlehttps://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/05/28/xbox-series-x-next-generation-backward-compatibility/
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on August 6, 2020 9:42PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Asdara
    Asdara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_SarahHecker Does that mean that the housing/performance team will reconsider the furnishing cap for house? My hope is that these limitations are a direct cause of console performances, since we now know for sure that eso will be on the next gen console I hope this will make them re-consider the slot cap. Right?
    You're creating so much good content i CAN'T buy because i have 0 slot for it, its depressing.
    Forget new content for a while & forget adding new DLC, this is a list of what is actually needed in the game:
    1: Handheld magic/ giving you the option to not use your staff to L/H Attack but instead it will shoot from your hand, like a spell.
    2: Spellcrafting.
    3: Combat pet skin / summon Atronach.
    4: Summon weapon.
    5: Change the Housing item limit.
    6: Multi Attunable crafting station.
    7: Add Writ boards and Writ Drop-off's for housing.
    8: Cut the crown price of Mundus stones (4000x13? 52000 crowns?).
    9: Visual upgrade for all spell and animation.
    10: More structural item, door, floors, arch, walls for all size and shape.
    11: Dusting and adding things to the mage guilds.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asdara wrote: »
    @ZOS_SarahHecker Does that mean that the housing/performance team will reconsider the furnishing cap for house? My hope is that these limitations are a direct cause of console performances, since we now know for sure that eso will be on the next gen console I hope this will make them re-consider the slot cap. Right?
    You're creating so much good content i CAN'T buy because i have 0 slot for it, its depressing.

If the cap was in place because of hardware restraints, then PC wouldnt have the same cap we do. Its a game engine issue.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    Asdara wrote: »

If the cap was in place because of hardware restraints, then PC wouldnt have the same cap we do. Its a game engine monetization issue.

Fixed that for you. :smile:

And why should they have a different housing cap for different platforms when they can just store one number for them all?
  • jbOblivion
    jbOblivion
    ✭✭
    We have a fix for these [Xbox achievements] in the works. Exact timing is still TBD but we're hoping to have it in Update 27.

This is great news, thanks very much for the update.

• Jeirno
    Jeirno
    ✭✭✭✭

This.

Eso on regular xbox 1 is rough, but on xbox 1 x, it's solid 30fps at 4k, with some decent fidelity enhancements. Obviously not mind blowing, but the the game looks and runs great of xbox 1x, all for a good value.

If they leverage a significant prtion of xbox series x's power for the next gen enhanced version, the result should be something that rivals most mid to high end gaming PCs, again for a good value.

Well 30fps is *** you know that right? So like I said performance increase so you can get that sweet 60 at least.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This.

Well 30fps is *** you know that right? So like I said performance increase so you can get that sweet 60 at least.

4k that never drops below 30fps isn't ***. It's not mind blowing, but it's about what you'd except from a midrange PC.
  • sharpshooter2342
    sharpshooter2342
    ✭✭✭
    So if I upgrade on ps5 will I still be able to log in on my ps4 and play. Will I be able to play on either console or will this be similar to how PC players transferred to console.