The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can't drink a potion even while walking

StarOfElyon
StarOfElyon
✭✭✭✭✭
Why when I'm under pressure and I need to use a potion must I remain perfectly still to do it? I can't be walking, much less sprinting. I've bit my tongue about it for so long but I can't take it anymore. I understand not being able to drink s potion while using skills but I can't even drink a potion while walking. It's insane.

Please change this.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't drink potions while:
    Stunned (and similar effects)
    Sprint
    Channel skills (heavy attack included)

Walking should not stop you, you were probably ZoSed
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been this way for a while. I can't remember how long. I have to stop moving completely, drink the potion, and then continue moving. I'm like, what's even the point when people chasing me are going to catch me if I stop moving.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i agree, horrible, its to the point i almost never bother because i know i cant do it untill i forcefully stand still and stop everything and wait a few seconds and THEN drink, but if i do that, the damage from enemies will Kill me, so whats the use!?

this needs to change!
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like lag. I know sometimes I found better performance when I stopped moving and started casting skills while stationary. Whether this actually helped or is a placebo effect I have no idea but if you spam the drink potion button eventually your character will pop the cork off and drink the liquid. Might take pressing it a half dozen times though.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    Sounds like lag. I know sometimes I found better performance when I stopped moving and started casting skills while stationary. Whether this actually helped or is a placebo effect I have no idea but if you spam the drink potion button eventually your character will pop the cork off and drink the liquid. Might take pressing it a half dozen times though.

It's the same way bar swapping only works for me sometimes. When it comes to bar swapping, I have to wait at least a second after getting up or breaking free, and make sure I'm very deliberately hitting that bar swap button and nothing else for it to work.
  • Wuuffyy
    Wuuffyy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Literally so dumb. Let’s forgot role play for a minute b/c they legit pick and choose what they want to be in the game at this point. Why is my pot which is directly tied to the resource sustain the game requires me to reach subjected to so many unnecessary usage blocks. Literally blocking and *sometimes* walking. Can’t run, roll, cast or anything.

Such a bad change that like many other that have been reverted from prior poor combat design, needs to be reverted.
    Wuuffyy,
    ESO player since 2014
    -PM for questions
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's it. I can't take it anymore. Not only because the potions don't work unless I'm standing perfectly still but also because bar swapping takes a concerted effort, and because of skills not activating. It's driving me mad. I just want to see what the next part of the story is after Greymoor but honestly, I just dont like this game anymore.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to necro this because it's still a horrible problem. I can't drink a potion when I need it. I have to stand perfectly still for a whole second to drink a potion. If I'm out of stamina and I need to drink one after a knock down so that I can block or roll dodge, I can't. The game is too fast paced for me to stand still long enough to drink a potion.
  • MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to see potion become a free action that you can use during skills or while sprinting, it can be really inconsistent registering the potion input during the fraction of a second period between skills.
  • Mankeyyyyy
    Mankeyyyyy
    ✭✭
    It's great when you hear the potion sound multiple times while slamming the button but the potion never actually goes off.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea why doing other off-GCD actions such as Dodge-Rolling or Blocking are seemingly so much smoother and less lag-prone than using a potion.

Maybe it is due to some sort of action hierarchy in the engine and potions, while still being off-GCD, are down at the bottom or something?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »
    You can't drink potions while:
    Stunned (and similar effects)
    Sprint
    Channel skills (heavy attack included)

Walking should not stop you, you were probably ZoSed

This.

I have not been having problems using potions while in combat. I have not tried to use them while walking outside of combat though.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mankeyyyyy wrote: »
    It's great when you hear the potion sound multiple times while slamming the button but the potion never actually goes off.

Yes, there are times when I'm shocked to look down seconds later and see that the potion was not actually consumed.