The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why is onehanded skill line not a thing?

Kardrik
Kardrik
✭✭✭
Thought about this when I made a new character, it had I think a staff, a twohanded sword, and a onehanded axe.
Nothing to pair it with, just that axe. Kills I got with just that one wouldn't advance a skill line unless paired with another onehanded or a shield.

That got me thinking, why not have that as its own skill line?
Specifically make it a magicka skill line, borrow things from the dual wield and destro staff lines, and have the heavy attacks restore magicka.
I strongly believe there needs to be a more melee weapon skill line. I want to like Magblade, but I can't get over the play of a stealthy assassin while lugging around a full body staff like a wizard.
Gandalf was not known for shanking punks, okay? Its weird!

I am sure this idea has been brought up many times before, because mag DPS builds only getting shoehorned into weapon line whereas stam builds get three is a bit unfair.

There are tons of melee magicka builds, why are there no melee magicka weapons? The game has a potential one right there, just needs a skill line!
I'll kind of throw some ideas together a little later as kind of a fun musing of what a melee magicka line would look like, maybe kind of a mix between the Destro staff line and dual wield.
Anyhow, what do you all think?
  • TwinLamps
    TwinLamps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess its because all characters in eso have two hands.
    Awake, but at what cost
  • VaxtinTheWolf
    VaxtinTheWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Argonians blocking with a single handed weapon looks pretty neat.
    || AD - Rah'Jiin Lv50 Khajiit Nightblade (Damage) || EP - Generic Argonian Lv50 Argonian Nightblade (Tank) || DC - Zinkotsu Lv50 Breton Nightblade (Healer) ||
    || DC - Ja'Kiro Feral-Heart Lv50 Khajiit Dragonknight (Damage) || EP - VaxtinTheWolf Lv50 Redguard Templar (Tank) || AD - Velik Iranis Lv50 Dark Elf Sorcerer (Tank ) ||
    || EP - Einvarg The Frozen Lv50 Nord Warden (Tank/Healer) || EP - Keem-Ja Lv4 Argonian Necromancer (Healer/Tank) ||
    PC - North American Server (Champion 1300+)
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well, I were running around a world where monsters, mercenaries, soldiers, and the undead appear all over the place, I'd want more than one dagger in my hand. Unless the one-hand weapon is a HK .45, I'll stick with what there already is
  • skooma_dealer
    skooma_dealer
    ✭✭✭
    1H means minus one set bonus.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well, I were running around a world where monsters, mercenaries, soldiers, and the undead appear all over the place, I'd want more than one dagger in my hand. Unless the one-hand weapon is a HK .45, I'll stick with what there already is

There are plenty of real-life fighting styles that only involve a weapon in one hand. And in ESO there's magic, and plenty of spellsword enemies use one hand to keep one free for magic. That's been an Elder Scrolls thing for a long time now.

This is the real problem. I actually ran a 1-handed build recently for battlegrounds. Mythic items make it easier to run 11 items (2 full sets and 1 mythic item instead of a 2-piece monster set). It was pretty successful. Just use Crushing Weapon from the Psijic skill line on a class that doesn't need many weapon skills (I was on Warden). I had to rank up the Fighters Guild AoE stun lol. It was pretty fun!! Follow your dreams, OP
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We already have a skill line that uses a weapon on one hand. What is great is we have the ability to put a shield in the second hand.
  • Kardrik
    Kardrik
    ✭✭✭

So does running a staff, Bow, or twohanded weapon!

I still think Magicka builds need a melee weapon skill line, and there is the potential for one right there under our noses!
    A magblade, magdk, and certain Magplar builds in particular would make a lot more sense with a onehanded sword than a staff!
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kardrik wrote: »

I still think Magicka builds need a melee weapon skill line, and there is the potential for one right there under our noses!
    A magblade, magdk, and certain Magplar builds in particular would make a lot more sense with a onehanded sword than a staff!

2h weapons count as 2 peices for set bonuses......
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kardrik wrote: »

Not the case. All the 2H weapons you mentioned have two set bonuses. It has been this way for a while.
  • Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised some are opposed to this. It makes more sense to keep a hand free when you want to cast spells more readily. Instead of 'hang on gotta unequip my hand before I cast' dual wield/shield.

Give it more evasion (backflip/swashbuckler) and weapon infusion oriented abilities and make the single weapon count as 2 for a set. Done, new magicka melee weapon and no need to design new weapons.
    Edited by Ryuvain on August 6, 2020 3:52AM
    That one khajiit obsessed with werewolf behemoth and vampire lord. Lady Thorn is bae, dont @ me.
    Werewolf behemoth=vampire lord>blood scion>werewolf>vampire.