The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Seriously the lag is ridiculous now

LeifErickson
LeifErickson
✭✭✭✭✭
I have played this game since 1.6 with breaks every now and then, but the lag is currently worse than its ever been since I started playing. I'm not sure if it's a combination of more ball groups running now and the influx of Japanese players, but there is now no time of the day (except maybe around the 1am to 5am range, I have never played then so I don't know what the performance is like) where you can play in the main campaign. The main campaign is unplayable. It's pretty much at the point where I am trying to unlearn light weaving because it's no longer possible. Skills are not on a 1 second global cooldown, it's more like a 2 to 5 second global cooldown. You cannot use your abilities. It's as simple as that.

At least there is the standard campaign, right? Nope. Yesterday (July 21), I hopped on standard and the pops were locked EP, high bar DC, and medium bar AD. It was unplayable. Okay so main campaign is unplayable, standard is unplayable. What about no CP? No CP is unplayable as well.

The main campaign is unplayable. So now there are a couple scenarios. Either the other campaigns are completely dead or they are also unplayable. Luckily there are some small periods of time a day where standard and no CP are actually kinda alright, but it's rare. So now all that is left is IC, battlegrounds, and dueling.

IC is alright, but it's usually very dead and if not you just fight the same 3 people over and over. When there are actually groups running the pvp is great and completely lag free and it's awesome. If IC got some work done to it, it could be the saving grace of pvp. I don't have any ideas for what to do to it, but I'm sure others do.

Battlegrounds are alright, but 4v4v4 is awful. 4v4v4 is not competitive, instead it should be 4v4. The reason why 4v4v4 is not competitive is because the best strategy to win is to wait for the other two teams to fight and then swoop in and steal the kills or do the objectives. 4v4 would prevent that from happening. It would be nice if there were also other queues like 2v2 and 1v1. I also personally believe that you should be able to duo queue. Duo queue doesn't make a big enough impact to get a free win like a 4 man queue does and then it allows people to play with friends. If you don't want to add 4v4, at least add custom servers so that the players can at least make battleground matches themselves. There used to be a guild that did this back in the day and just had everyone queue up at the same time, but you can no longer do this effectively since you can't queue with someone and the odds of getting the match with the people you wanna team with and fight against is super low. These custom battleground matches we used to do were amazingly fun and I miss doing them.

Dueling is good. I'm not sure it needs any improvements.

What ZOS can do to fix this:

1. Buy more servers. ZOS, just buy more servers. Everyone knows you buy more servers when a DLC drops or it's Midyear Mayhem and that's why pvp is suddenly not laggy anymore. I know you will say it's too expensive, but if pvp was lag free it would be amazing. So many people would come to this game because Cyrodiil is truly unrivaled. Every pvper would recommend this game to their friends when they haven't before because the lag is so bad.

2. Actually fix the lag. It seems like you are trying to do this. It doesn't seem possible to me, but let's see.

3. Rework some of the campaigns. In Planetside 2, a game very similar to Cyrodiil, when the populations are low in certain campaigns they reduce the map size tremendously so that people who are playing there can still get good pvp. Standard would be awesome if it worked this way. Instead of having the whole of Cyrodiil, reduce it to something like 3 to 6 keeps. Or even better, 3 to 6 outposts. It would be awesome and a lot of fun.

4. Make the options outside of Cyrodiil more appealing. Breathe life into IC, make Battlegrounds better or at least add custom games. Give us a pvp DLC.

ZOS, the pvp in this game when it isn't laggy is second to none. It is amazing. It's the only reason people are able to play in the laggy messy that Cyrodiil is because the combat is just that good. I know you think it isn't worth spending time with pvp because it doesn't seem like it's cost effective, but if pvp was great and playable I would be shocked if it didn't bring in so many new players and tons more money.

For those wondering why I spent the time to type this, I am typing this because I am bored because I usually pvp at this time but it is currently unplayable.
  • sinz_xb16_ESO
    sinz_xb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to be impossible to fix the Cyrodiil lag during primetime so I just try and look for the positive things.

fMFcPnB.jpg

"We will make sure that no matter where you live, every player in North America, Europe, Oceania, and many places beyond will have a polished, lag-free launch experience" - Matt Firor

Proud second-rate customer (PC-EU)
  • SweepsAllClowns
    SweepsAllClowns
    ✭✭✭✭
    Today's ridiculous level of lag will be the standard level of tomorrow and so on, just works!
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its all about server capacity, ZOS keep cheaping out to maximise revenue, its hard to believe that with the game in the state it is ZOS would buff proc damage sets and make DOTs stronger, these will meta purely because nothing works better than 5k a second of DOTs on someone who can barely barswap, let alone get skills to fire
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like the past couple of days were worse than last week. As much as people hate downtime; them going every other week is going to impact this. Can't wait to see performance over the weekend.
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It seems to be impossible to fix the Cyrodiil lag during primetime so I just try and look for the positive things.

fMFcPnB.jpg

Don't need skills, if in ball group with loads of procc :D
  • Ahtu
    Ahtu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Actually the lag is pretty horrendous at 2 AM sometimes too. Had some good fights at 7 am though 30v30.
  • Deathweeps
    Deathweeps
    ✭✭✭
    Is ZoS doing anything at all to fix it or have an idea of why it gets that bad? I have never seen it that bad on any other game, ever. Midyear Mayhem still lagged but not as bad. You're right though, the pvp is amazing when there is no lag. It's frustrating when you know you have the skill to react to situations but lag shields and 6 second lag in general hit you when you're sporting 600-700Mbps internet.
    The bravest man in the world is a man that cooks bacon in the nude.
    -Deathweeps-
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My take is that COVID is stress testing the internet in general
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Spartabunny08
    Spartabunny08
    ✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    My take is that COVID is stress testing the internet in general

LMAO You sound like my grandma when I sneezed in December of 1999 and she thought I had the millennium bug.
  • Aquatorch
    Aquatorch
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, my lag is insane. To the point where I can't even play on Blackreach at 7am EST without severe issues.

Although this is a video someone posted several years ago, this is exactly what happens to me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YLzWXqcQ9U

Adding to it, I can't even see the graphic when I use Flame Clench. It takes about three seconds to hit, then the enemy gets knocked back, seemingly randomly.

I don't know what ZOS has done recently, but this is bad, really, really bad. All of my friend are having issues now as well.
  • ItsJustHashtag
    ItsJustHashtag
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think something ZOS could or should take a look at is guards being able to be healed, being given buffs/debuffs, being able to apply debuffs, and etc. It’s creating unnecessary calculations to the server.
  • bigdavid11b16_ESO
    bigdavid11b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The day that nobody could group game wide, was the day that cyrodiil had zero lag with full pop. nobody in groups meant that nobody was spamming all of these utility skills like PURGE, which produces a debuff check among 24 players , times that by how many people are spamming, times how many casts per person. A massive part of our issues are group size and group utility skills multiplied by casts x people.

The reason i know this, is i was there and experienced it fully. it was the most fun ive had in the game, in years. All to be patched a day later, and everything + lag went back to normal.
  • TineaCruris
    TineaCruris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the servers are officially melting down

this is unparalleled, continuing failure on the part of ZOS
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The day that nobody could group game wide, was the day that cyrodiil had zero lag with full pop. nobody in groups meant that nobody was spamming all of these utility skills like PURGE, which produces a debuff check among 24 players , times that by how many people are spamming, times how many casts per person. A massive part of our issues are group size and group utility skills multiplied by casts x people.

The reason i know this, is i was there and experienced it fully. it was the most fun ive had in the game, in years. All to be patched a day later, and everything + lag went back to normal.

Or the other day siege actually was a threat and had to be cleaned off fast or you died...
  • Snowgoons
    Snowgoons
    ✭✭✭✭
    Everything ZOS can gut from Cyrodiil has been gutted:

-the stability
    -the now server side calculations
    -the player cap
    -the unique upgrading of resources and the tower being able to be destroyed,

like every, single, aspect, of this game, to make Cyrodiil possibly run better has been gutted.

AND NOW:

The game runs worse than it has ever run, on PC running worse than Console launch.

[snip]

Everyone's just watching the MMO with the best PvP turn into a PvE only and still lag filled experience.

What is going on?? [snip]

[edited for bashing and spam]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on August 6, 2020 1:47PM
    Rollin' round Tamriel on that skooma wasted like a failed Grand Theft Auto mission.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at the bright side. We probably won’t even notice the aoe cooldown tests, we’d be lucky to get a skill off every 3 seconds most nights.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • TineaCruris
    TineaCruris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    Look at the bright side. We probably won’t even notice the aoe cooldown tests, we’d be lucky to get a skill off every 3 seconds most nights.

This was my first thought as well. If the cool down is ONLY 3 seconds, that would be an improvement during prime time compared to now. (I'm being literal here, no exaggeration)
  • Hämähäkki
    Hämähäkki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing is, the lag is contagious...

https://i.imgur.com/ydiEIdi.mp4
    TherealHämähäkki
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I currently dont play anymore due to lagg, and wont start playing again as long as threads like this keeps getting made. It informs me that nothing has changed. Lagg ruins all the fun.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • SweepsAllClowns
    SweepsAllClowns
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »

This was my first thought as well. If the cool down is ONLY 3 seconds, that would be an improvement during prime time compared to now. (I'm being literal here, no exaggeration)

There's definitely a high possibility for the abilities being able to actually work faster overall than currently.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For some reason the delay on skill is hilarious when attacking resource or keep guards, as shown in the video above. I try to dizzying swing those DK guards on resources and it takes a full 3s for the skill to fire, while my character twitches throughout the broken animation. I leap the guards on the flag, I land, it takes 3s for them to start flying. And the ping counter stays at 150-200 ms. I mean it's clear the ping towards the server interface is normal, but the server processing takes longer than that.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • SweepsAllClowns
    SweepsAllClowns
    ✭✭✭✭
    olsborg wrote: »
    I currently dont play anymore due to lagg, and wont start playing again as long as threads like this keeps getting made. It informs me that nothing has changed. Lagg ruins all the fun.

Nowadays when some new online game is coming, which I'm interested in, the first and the most important thing is the level of lag when I see some gameplay for the first time. Recently I got very interested in Marvel's Avengers, I think tomorrow is the Playstation beta and someone will probably stream some gameplay, if I see significant lag times even only few times, then my interest will drop very fast. I don't want to buy a game just to get some long term fixing schedule for gamebreaking issues and empty promises.
  • ItsJustHashtag
    ItsJustHashtag
    ✭✭✭✭
    Snowgoons wrote: »

-the stability
    -the player cap

like every, single, aspect, of this game, to make Cyrodiil possibly run better has been gutted.

AND NOW:

The game runs worse than it has ever run, on PC running worse than Console launch.

[snip]

Everyone's just watching the MMO with the best PvP turn into a PvE only and still lag filled experience.

Revert bridge and mile gate changes and remove the hammer from pvp is something they should do.

As soon as that hammer spawns the campaign gets even worse.

The mile gates and bridge just create bottlenecks.
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on August 6, 2020 1:48PM
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

-the stability
    -the player cap

AND NOW:

[snip]

Revert bridge and mile gate changes and remove the hammer from pvp is something they should do.

I agree with this.

Hammer could be fun but encourages the exact things that cause issues.

Bridge and milegates just feel stupid as you have to take them all the way to 0 to destroy but then only have to repair part way to open. Then one side can go over a gate while the other can't but then there are bridges that are different and confined to one side. It's just dumb.
  • TineaCruris
    TineaCruris
    ✭✭✭✭✭

-the stability
    -the player cap

AND NOW:

[snip]

I don't really see how the bridges and mile gates that have always been there contribute to laggy situations. The hammer, on the other hand, there is no question, the hammer guarantees performance issues when people stack on it.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

-the stability
    -the player cap

AND NOW:

[snip]

I don't really see how the bridges and mile gates that have always been there contribute to laggy situations. The hammer, on the other hand, there is no question, the hammer guarantees performance issues when people stack on it.

Destructible bridges and milegates have not always been there. Ironically; they added them after removing destructible resource towers in attempt to ease lag.
  • TineaCruris
    TineaCruris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »

-the stability
    -the player cap

AND NOW:

[snip]

Destructible bridges and milegates have not always been there. Ironically; they added them after removing destructible resource towers in attempt to ease lag.

Oh yeah, it's been so long ago, I forget resource towers had doors and you could siege them. As I recall, population caps were more than double what they are now at that time, and performance was quite a bit better too.

At any rate, I don't see how being able to break the bridges and mile gates could be adding to lag, where as the hammer very obviously adds to the problems of faction stacking resulting in lag.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    olsborg wrote: »
    It informs me that nothing has changed.
    Well, you are wrong. If you would play eso you would know that problem became even worse :confused: . It painful to watch old videos in a times when input delay didnt existed, good old times...
  • Daviiid_ESO
    Daviiid_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    works fine in housing and roleplay, stop complaining :DDDDDDDDD
  • JoeFrazierJr
    JoeFrazierJr
    Soul Shriven
    I have the best internet possible in my country, and probably some of the best in Europe and i'm averaging 300 ping in Cyro and when ballgroups come I can't even use any skills or anything. I literally cannot play the game I want to play, I still play but i've cancelled my sub till ZOS gets their *** *** together.