The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

A Small Suggestion to Make Stage 4 Vampire a Little More Viable in Combat

Vevvev
Vevvev
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Stage 4 vampire is arguably one of the oddest stages in the game right now when it comes to the pros vs the cons. While it can be fun using the invisibility sprint perk when you're actually in combat it doesn't become as useful as many would imagine it being. A lot can happen in three seconds that could interrupt you getting back into invisibility or pull you out. (For example in flight projectiles.) Here are the pros and the cons of the 4th vampirisim stage.

Pros:
  • 24% cheaper vampire skills.
  • 300 weapon and spell damage for 6 seconds upon leaving invisibility, stealth, or mistform.
  • Up to 30% damage resistance based on your missing health. At 50% health for example you'd have an additional 15% damage resistance.
  • Can turn invisible after sprinting for 3 seconds and sprinting costs 50% less.
  • Ignores the sneak speed penalty and enters sneak 50% faster.

Cons:
  • 20% increased flame damage.
  • 12% increased non-vampire ability costs.
  • Able to be damaged by the Prismatic weapon enchantment. The most powerful enchantment in the game.
  • -100% health regeneration. That health bar won't move till you get healed.
  • 20% increased damage from Fighter's Guild abilities.

Analyzing the pros vs the cons we can see that that many of the pros favor stealth and initiating fights. On paper this isn't an issue but after having played vampire for several weeks after Greymoor came out I've realized the only passive really helping me in these melee engagements for the long term is the stage 3 passive. This has led to me staying in stage 3 and not going the extra step to go stage 4. ZOS didn't want people to all stay at stage 4 so fair enough, but they also didn't want people staying at stage 1 and treating vampire like some extra skill line. They wanted vampire to be a play style so my proposal is to give the stage 4 vampire passive Minor Expedition which increases movement speed by 10%.

Hear me out on this before calling me crazy! One of the issues with the vampire skill line people point out is the lack of a gap closer for a melee focused skill line. Templars, Dragonknights, Nightblades, the Dual Wield, the 2 handed, and the Sword and Shield skill lines all have gap closers in them. Instead of dismantling everything ZOS has done they could just put Minor Expedition onto the stage 4 passive and it'd mean a lot. At stage 4 you're already fully committed to being a vampire and being just slightly faster means you can stay in range of your target due to the lack of snares in the vampire skill line, and be able to close the distance on that archer or sorcerer much easier. It'd also make the passive ability live up to its name "Unnatural Movement" and make being a stage 4 vampire a little more fun while still costing you a lot.

What do you all think?
Edited by Vevvev on August 2, 2020 4:12PM
PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they should remove the cost penalties of skills and make fire dmg taken ramp up to 30% (0 10 20 30)
  • Ulthlian
    Ulthlian
    ✭✭✭
    Great suggestion! It fits vampire hit & run theme pretty well as developers see it. But I am still thinking, that health regen penalties are too harsh and should be reverted to pre-re-vamp values. Maybe at the cost of increased fire damage taken as was suggested above.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love this change!

Of my four vampires, I only keep one at Stage 4 (the rest are, as you allude to, hanging out at Stage 1) and that's the Wild Hunt-wearing magBlade that has the best synergy overall with the skill line.

Even with Concealed Weapon, the advantages of Stage 4 are really more of a novelty than a genuine tactical advantage. The three seconds takes aeons to proc in combat (and even longer with server lag...) and slight variations in elevation will temporarily break the Sprint animation and drop you out of Stealth randomly.

Thematically, you're quite right that something titled "Unnatural Movement" implies superhuman speed which is categorically not a current feature of the vampire line. Minor Expedition is a small but noticeable boost that would proceed a ways toward that end as well as elegantly buff skills such as Mist Form and the Vampire Lord.
  • SlimeBro1
    SlimeBro1
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love this change as it would help make Elusive Mist fast as well as make Blood Scion easier to stay on top of people.

The skill line's abilities still need a LOT of work tbh, but this would be a decent step in the right direction. The skill line needs more changes like this. If they want vamp to be a hit and run line, it needs to be more like this.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not an "over the top" suggestion like some of the other threads misplaced in PTS (Greymoor PTS was back in early May people!).

Nice job, @Vevvev.

I hope your idea gets implemented.
  • Rampeal
    Rampeal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly think they want you to be a Vampire and not just cherry pick skills. As for me I love it. I role Vampire lord+Vampire Cloak+Earthgore. 80% of my skills are Vampire abilities and what few I have of my class(necro) are either ultimates or skills that use little to no magicka.

I love it as it is.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rampeal wrote: »
    I honestly think they want you to be a Vampire and not just cherry pick skills. As for me I love it. I role Vampire lord+Vampire Cloak+Earthgore. 80% of my skills are Vampire abilities and what few I have of my class(necro) are either ultimates or skills that use little to no magicka.

I love it as it is.

Um... okay. I run vampire with Grothdarr + Elf Bane + Burning Spell Weave and have used this combo to actually find a use for Blood Frenzy. Still can't find a use for Vampiric Drain but that's not what this thread is about. I was just suggesting adding minor expedition to make stage 4 more useful in combat because as it is right now its more of a gimmick. Helps you get into a fight but doesn't help you much after that, and its very easy to get pulled out of stealth or interrupted before you do.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • SlimeBro1
    SlimeBro1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rampeal wrote: »

I love it as it is.

Here's an idea: Just because you love it as is, doesn't mean it can't be made to where others love it too. Also doesn't mean it can't be made to where you'll love it even more....

Also you lose absolutely nothing with this change.

Imagine having $20 and being offered another $10, only to decline because why would you want that when you already have $20.

Like somehow if this change happens you'll apparently lose all love for vampire.....

And the thing is, they want you to be a vampire, but you can't fully utilize vampire's kit because it all clashes with itself and isn't even a complete toolkit.(It isn't, no matter how much you look at it.) I also don't see what your statement about skills or even your build has anything to do with this thread. All this thread is about is adding on a buff to stage 4 vampirism.
    Edited by SlimeBro1 on August 5, 2020 8:56AM