The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Making New Warden and Necro Characters

Seravi
Seravi
✭✭✭✭✭
I would like to make Warden and Necro characters. I haven't made any of this type so far. It would seem they need a lot of magic based on what I am seeing. Am I limited to High Elf for both or can I use a Wood Elf or Dark Elf? I don't want to start one only to find out I made a huge mistake in my race choice. Any help is much appreciated. I only have two vets right now and both are Templars, one High Elf and one Imperial. Just looking for a change of pace. :) Thanks!
  • Phoebe
    Phoebe
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've never played a Necromancer (tried it on PTS back then but didn't like it), but Wardens are a lot of fun as StamWardens (with either Dual Wield or a two-handed weapon, and a bow), too! You can choose any stamina race for these, I have Redguard, Wood Elf and Orc, but Khajiit and Dark Elf should work fine, too.

Also, if you're not aiming for endgame-raids and meta-builds yet, just choose any race you like :wink:
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks! Nah I play PVE, very little PVP. I like builds that can keep me alive since I solo most of the time. :)
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    High Elves are the best magic race by a little bit, but dark elves are fairly close, and their racials give you the option to switch between mag and stam, down the road.
  • Freakin_Hytte
    Freakin_Hytte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would choose a hybrid, kahjiit or dark elf. Its always nice to be able swap and try out both.
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the answers! I love my High Elf templar but really my Imperial isn't bad as a Templar. She is only about 2K short of the same magica my elf has so not bad. I just don't want to have an army of High Elf characters.

So it seems both classes offer abilities to be stam based instead of magica. With that I could get away with something other than a High Elf and probably be okay. Sweet!! Thanks again for the info! :)
  • Athyrium93
    Athyrium93
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can also go breton, they lose out on a bit of damage but the extra sustain means they are a bit easier, and you can build for more damage. You might lose a bit of damage at in the top 1% of builds but for everyone else it's just easier.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Are you only thinking of making a Magicka character? Both classes have good Stamina OR Magicka builds. ANY class can play Stamina DPS, but Warden & Necro have a LOT of flavorful class skills with Stamina morphs

You don't need to pick an *optimal* race, but here are the races with relevant bonuses:

Stamina:
    Orc (favorite)
    Dunmer
    Redguard
    Khajiit
    Imperial/Wood Elf are least preferred but have relevant passives

Magicka:
    Breton (popular, best magicka recovery)
    High Elf (my favorite)
    Dunmer
    Khajiit

Dunmer are just only slightly behind High Elves for Magicka (barely ANY difference), but on the Stamina side, Orcs get a nice Health bonus that Dunmer don't.

Dunmer and Khajiit are both races that are just as good Stam or Mag, so a good race to try out a class with. I love my Khajiit as much as my Altmer/Orc characters, and that's really what matters.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner