The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mask dyeing disappointment

AefionBloodclaw
AefionBloodclaw
✭✭✭✭
Just like to give a headsup that although the Reveries masks are pretty cool, as soon as you try to dye them different colours they lose the nice matt colour and are replaced with this horrible shiny plastic look. Except for one colour - Annequina Sunrise. Pretty disappointed with that, it would've been great to have the smooth matt finish on them but the ability to have them in different colours :/
Edited by AefionBloodclaw on August 1, 2020 8:52AM
'For love, for friendship and for valour, I stand with the Aldmeri Dominion.'

Zephyrle Starbreeze, Bosmer Nightblade
Aefion Bloodclaw, Bosmer Sorcerer
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like most matte armours, costumes etc, it depends on what dye you use. If you use a dye with a matte finish they will be matte, if you use a glossy dye, they will get a glossy look. Most common dyes are matte, with some exceptions in the uncommon section.

For example. On this one I used both a matte and a glossy dye.
    9KRn7S0.png
    Edited by NotaDaedraWorshipper on August 1, 2020 11:35AM
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • AefionBloodclaw
    AefionBloodclaw
    ✭✭✭✭
    That can't be right, I went through almost every single colour and it came out glossy...

I just checked, I have 44/64 Common Dyes and every single one I have is NOT matte, it's glossy.

I also have 72/90 Uncommon Dyes and the only one I have that is matte is Anequina Sunrise.

I also have 23/68 Rare Dyes and only 2 of them are matte, the rest are glossy. Those are Liar's Linen, and even then it looks slightly shiny because it's silver, and Coldharbour Ash Black.
    Edited by AefionBloodclaw on August 1, 2020 1:58PM

• NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That can't be right, I went through almost every single colour and it came out glossy...

I just checked, I have 44/64 Common Dyes and every single one I have is NOT matte, it's glossy.

I also have 72/90 Uncommon Dyes and the only one I have that is matte is Anequina Sunrise.

I also have 23/68 Rare Dyes and only 2 of them are matte, the rest are glossy. Those are Liar's Linen, and even then it looks slightly shiny because it's silver, and Coldharbour Ash Black.

Neither Liar's Linen nor Coldharbour Ash Black are matte. They are more semi glossy.

If the common dyes doesn't give it a matte finish, then it probably can't be more matte. Atl east not without unique dye stamps or Anequina Sunrise. Which is a rather unique dye, because it's one of the very few (or maybe even only) recent dyes we have gotten that is matte. So it works a lot like some dye stamps, which sometimes override whatever finish the material has determined. Not that it's easy to notice, since it's so damn bright you can barely see if something is matte or shiny.
  • AefionBloodclaw
    AefionBloodclaw
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Semi glossy"? Whatever, they are more matte than glossy. And it's pretty easy to see that Anequina Sunrise is matte, and it's not that bright its just vibrant, maybe you've got your settings turned up too much.

The point is, there are almost no matte colours and I think that is a major oversight.
    Edited by AefionBloodclaw on August 2, 2020 1:58AM

• Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can submit a Support ticket to get your Crowns refunded, @AefionBloodclaw.

But, I wouldn't expect a lot of players to share the same niche views on the distribution of dyes in the game.

Only certain dyes work well on certain fabrics/metal/woodwork.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on August 2, 2020 4:17AM
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Semi glossy"? Whatever, they are more matte than glossy. And it's pretty easy to see that Anequina Sunrise is matte, and it's not that bright its just vibrant, maybe you've got your settings turned up too much.

The point is, there are almost no matte colours and I think that is a major oversight.

Yes, they are not glossy, but they ain't completely matte either. It's quite noticeable on some materials.

Anequina Sunrise is indeed matte. It also seem to work like some dye stamps, so it overrides the material and always makes things completely matte (Materials and styles have a tendency to dye differently). But it is way too bright and pigmented on most things. You can barely see textures on some things when you use it.

I do fully agree that we do need more matte dyes, they are my favourite. Especially ones with more colour.
  • AefionBloodclaw
    AefionBloodclaw
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can submit a Support ticket to get your Crowns refunded, @AefionBloodclaw.

But, I wouldn't expect a lot of players to share the same niche views on the distribution of dyes in the game.

Only certain dyes work well on certain fabrics/metal/woodwork.

lol, there's no way they'd refund my crowns, if you knew who I am you might understand XD Besides, I want to keep the masks, the masks themselves are pretty cool.
    Edited by AefionBloodclaw on August 2, 2020 4:43PM