The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What non-trial sets for a MagDk?

Stx
Stx
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Hello all!

I am almost max level on my Mag DK and I was wondering what sets would be good for optimal dps in a 4 man dungeon or arena setting. Excliluding trial sets as I dont have the time to run those.

I currently have a full set of elemental succession including an inferno staff for front bar. I also have a perfected vma inferno staff for the back bar. I have a full set of mothers sorrow. I have access to any crafted gear.

I was looking at burning spell weave and even after the nerf next patch it looks like a good option to front bar and I can solo farm city of ash.

I have never played with elf bane but for dungeons it honestly doesnt seem like a great set due to mobs potentially moving out of your dots before they run their course, or stuff might just die before your dots run their course.

I am a breton so sustain may be less of an issue.

Any input is appreciated and thank you in advance.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I ran Elf Bane, Grothdarr, and False Gods (I know, a trial set) for a while. I also run a Breton. It is a great setup. You could easily swap out False Gods for Mother's Sorrow or Julianos and be okay. BSW would also work. No issues with sustain. The mob moving out of your AOE is not a problem. Assuming you already have a Maelstrom Staff, you should be dropping the Flaming Wall of Elements and Eruption then flip over to the front bar and LA/whip things to death. Even if you don't have the VMA staff, its the same result for trash mobs.

As for bosses, even a mobile boss has a hard time getting away from your AOEs. Unless you are fighting something like the mechanical spider boss in VMA/Darkshade 2, or the indrik in MOS, most of them stay in your DK's AOE radius for it to be effective.

I think Elf Bane is one of the best non-trial sets for MagDKs in the game, even with the nerf to Zaan. That combo with Grothdarr and the extension to your Wall of Elements is worth the gold you pay. Will Wall of Elements alone, if you have the VMA staff, that is at the bare minimum a 20K kick to your DPS over that 5 seconds
  • DomstarX
    DomstarX
    ✭✭
    Use BSW+MS. You can use an easy static rotation and still hit 80k with this setup and because of breton you should not have any form of sustain issue. Change MS for FGD if you have access to it and still have sustain issues ... because of DK things.

Cleared nearly all vet DLC Dungeon Achievements with BSW+MS. When you are getting more comfy with your DK you can try switch to Elfbane. To maximize DPS with it you need an dynamic rotation which is way harder to keep up.
    PS5 - EU
    PvE DK Main