The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Help me decide on class please

Kamekko
Kamekko
Soul Shriven
Hi all, I'm a new player and I think I want to play stamina DPS, but I can not decide whether to go Stamina Warden or Stamina Sorcerer. I want to be able to solo pve content. PvP doesn't appeal to me rn as I just want to quest and pve but I'm not against doing PvP in the future when I'm much more comfortable. I know there's updates and what not coming so alot of what I read is very out dated and I'm unsure how much these 2 classes could be impacted? which is also why I can't decide. Just wanna do good DPS and solo and be useful in group content too and just enjoy the class. Thanks 😊
  • Athyrium93
    Athyrium93
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pick the class with flavor you like better because the balance of which class is "best" will always be shifting due to buffs and nerfs that happen every few months. There really isn't a bad class in the game, and as DPS all six classes can do really well. If you pick the class that is "better" this patch or that will be next patch you'll only be disappointed when it isn't the patch after that. To be completely honest you're at least two or three patches out on reaching truly "end game" content where 3%-5% DPS differences between classes will matter.

There isn't a class in the game that can't do at least 50k DPS right now, on the other hand somewhere around 80%-90% of players aren't ever going to get any character over 50k DPS. Most players are doing around 20k DPS and that is plenty for all but the hardest content in the game.

My recommendation would be to make one of each, in a good stamina race (Orc, Khajiit, Wood Elf, Redguard and maybe Nord or Dark Elf... Idk, don't take my advise on that just google it, I play magicka so I'm not sure of the ranking for the Stamina races) and then play both characters to at least level 10, but 15 or 20 would be better. Try different weapons on both (two handed, dual wield, and bow) and unlock as many skills as you can.

Once you know which class you like the flavor of better, start leveling. Make sure you pick up fighters guild and mages guild as soon as possible, even though you plan to play stamina, if you ever want to swap to magicka you will be glad you started the mages guild.

For stamina equip as much medium armor as possible, and then go have fun, do quests and dungeons, level your riding skill everyday, find a cool guild, explore different zones and find sky shards, just play and don't worry about being the best. Another thing to do is to research and deconstruct all the gear drops you get that you don't plan to use, even if you don't like crafting it's completely worth it, because later in the game it is the only way to change the traits on gear (which I promise you will want to do!)

Once you get to level 50 the real fun begins, and by that I mean grinding out Champion Points. Once you hit CP160 they don't matter nearly as much because that is the level cap for gear. And now after that seriously long detour, back to the main point of picking a class, if you aren't completely happy with the race/class/appearance/faction/any thing else about your character, go start a new one, using the knowledge you now have to make better informed decisions. That second character and all characters after the first will be so much easier to level because you can use your CP on them from level one giving them a power boost, you will have extra XP scrolls laying around by then, and the moment they hit Level 50 you can put any gear from your first character on them.

Have fun and good luck! If your on PCNA and need any help feel free to message me (user name same as here)
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any class would be good for the content you want to do, but stamsorc and stamden both have good survivability & self-healing. Stamsorc's self-healing is way easier to use — the Surge skill heals you when you deal critical damage (including from damage-over-time). Whereas for stamdens, they have a good burst heal (Soothing Spores morph of Fungal Growth), and their passive heals depend on light attacking (Lotus Blossom) or using Cutting Dive with the Bond With Nature passive. Both can use a pet to tank some damage sometimes.

Stamsorc: Tanky, easy self-heals, great AoE damage, uses more weapon skills due to fewer good class skills. Very mobile. Has a cool battlemage/berserker/moving storm feel
    Stamden: Tanky, good active self-heals, great AoE damage that takes good timing to use correctly, can use more class skills due to more class skills that have Stamina morphs. Can use a bear. Has more of a friend-of-nature/hunter vibe

As far as next patch, stamsorc is getting a new Stamina morph spammable skill, but the classes aren't changed that much.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run both a stamsorc and stamward. Both are bow/bow and pve only soloists. Both wear the same simple but effective gear (Spriggansx5, Hundingsx5, Slimecrawx2). From that perspective, I agree with @tsaescishoeshiner assessment. I find the stamsorc has better survivability and burst damage but the warden does better sustained dps. Both have reasonable sustain. And both are great choices - again from my bow/bow pve perspective.

Surge + Hurricane is a bit simpler and more effective to keep up on the sorc than the warden's netch, ice fortress and green lotus. Shalks takes some practice but is an excellent warden skill. Some say bowsorcs lack spammable but the FG crossbow and/or snipe work fine. In fact, my warden archer uses crossbow instead of cliffracer.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Milli_Rabbit
    Milli_Rabbit
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a solid video about how each class fairs in solo content, including harder content.

https://youtu.be/L9IaijV3830
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whether you are choosing Class A or Class B, always take recreationals responsibly. Happy gaming.

• Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whether you are choosing Class A or Class B, always take recreationals responsibly. Happy gaming.

^ Criminally under Insightful, Agree or Awesomed comment.

I come back after my holidays and the community has ignored what gaiming.org and meatagame.com, among several other high profile gaming outlets, all identified as "comedy gaming comment of the century". Incredibly short sighted of the ESO community. For shame.
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just look at the skills you want to use. Don't think of classes as they are. I did that, and so I wanted to be a mage with swords, so went with sorcerer and didn't have fun. Then tried nightblade, and found I was more of a mage than the sorcerer I was trying to do at the time.

The way I see it, is any class can be anything. So all classes for example can be a mage. A sorcerer can me a swordsman for example.

So look at the skills you think you will have fun with and choose that skill instead of thinking the class has to be played a certain way. I learned the hard way that is not they way ESO works.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • Spartabunny08
    Spartabunny08
    ✭✭✭✭
    To simply answer your question warden is much better as stamina than a sorc. One example minor protection built right into the toolkit when you buff your resistances.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You get to respec skills and attributes for gold or as you close in on level 50 you got (and I think still get) freebie scrolls for it so you can go with the flow and see where it takes you and if need be respec for end game.

Warden works well as a solo, it's got a good mix of direct and aoe attacks, healing and of course you can run with the bear as partner which really helps for some things and gets you out of a lot of holes when learning!

The main thing IMHO for all classes in solo is not to stick all your attributes into one stat - you need a chunk of health and a chunk of other. Whether that's health leaning and tanky or stam/magicka leaning and damage is a play style question and one you can play with as you go along.

In fact you can turn a warden into pretty much anything - DPS, tank, healer, solo.

You can start multiple characters and see too. I started with a nightblade and no clue how to play - bad mix, but changed main char to something else and then got the hang of it.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly "best" class is one you can comprehend easly and enjoy. Personally I love stamblade werewolf build. It's a bit unorthodox but with my heavy armor medium mix I run around 3k wep dmg 50% crit un buffed. Change to ww and it's a 30-45% dmg boost as well as tankyness.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Templar is the best all around class in the game a perfect pick for someone that is not sure what class to play. Both stam and mag templars are good for dps and Templars have great skills for being Tanks and Healers as well so there's alot of Variety when it comes to playstyles.
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.