The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Pelinal's Aptitude Set Questions: How it works? How CP effect it?

Scion_of_Yggdrasil
Scion_of_Yggdrasil
✭✭✭✭✭
I finally got my hands on the set! Before I get into my catastrophe though, I want to ask anyone who runs a Pelinal build, what they recommend? Do you like it? Are you Stam or Mag or both? What does your weapon dmg look like?

My first, semi-committal build bombed... so I am starting to wonder if it was a waste. I recently decided to experiment as a stam healer, and like it! I prefer to run with bows. But I would like to have the security of a large magicka pool, without sacrificing too much bow dmg. So how can I make this work with a magicka build?

What I currently run:
  • CP 460+ Breton Warden
  • 64 Stamina
  • Medium Armor and passives
  • Hulking Draugr and Spriggan sets (as I said, just recently decided to try a stamina build, and this gear is what was easily available).
  • CP invested in physical dmg, physcial penetration, weapon crit, DOT dmg, and melee weapon expert.
  • Weapon dmg boon

What I used with Pelinal as a test:
  • 64 Magicka
  • Light Armor Passives
  • Pelinals Aptitude and Winters Respite
  • CP invested in magic dmg, spell penetration, spell crit, DOT dmg
  • Spell dmg boon

No food buffs, my weapon dmg went from around 3K+ on a direwolf, and dropped to 1K+ on a dire wolf using my bow. Is there a way I can improve that? I hadn't put any glyphs on my new pelinal set yet, would that make much of a difference? I'm okay losing some dmg, but.... ouch. Did I do something wrong?

More importantly, how do CP calculate in the mix? Would it behoove me to invest in physical weapon expert even though Im running mag? Does that CP skill calculate before or after gear and other such things?

My bar that I would like to keep the same (but swap here and there when necessary):
  • Polar Wind, Ice Fortress, Winters Revenge, Bull Netch, Whirling Blades, Permafrost Ult
  • Symbiosis, Green Lotus, Arrow Barrage, Time Freeze, Budding Seeds, Healing Thicket Ult

My Original Plan for Pelinals Aptitude:
  • Iceheart for Head and Shoulders
  • Pelinals Apt for remaining gear
  • Mothers Sorrow for Jewelry and Duel Wield
  • Maelstrom for Bow

Any advise would be greatly appreciated! I already wasted so much gold doing a soft switch to see what the numbers would look like, only to pay more gold switching back. And no.... I am PS4 NA so unfortunately I could not try the PTS first, otherwise I would have. (>_<)
Edited by Scion_of_Yggdrasil on July 28, 2020 4:05PM
  • Celestro
    Celestro
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not 100% clear on what it is you're trying to do exactly. You mention stam healer that uses a bow but is that the main objective with a decent amount of Magicka? What skills are you trying to use with said build as well?

Also, if you want to look at general numbers, you can use the ESO Build Editor to get a decent idea before making actual changes in the game.

http://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildEditor?id=230254
    Edited by Celestro on July 28, 2020 6:19PM
  • Ladislao
    Ladislao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not run pelinal builds atm but I recommend you to set a clear goal for which a hybrid pelinal build is well suited.

I do not like hybrids for the sake of hybrids (with no reason) so I see two main reasons to use pelinal:
    1) As stam you want to get some magicka utility for cp/non-cp pvp. For example, stamplar with Rushed Ceremony, stamblade with Malevolent Offering, and so on.
    2) You want to make some combos, including stam and mag skills in non-cp pvp. For example, dragonknight with Inhale, stamplar with Radiant Destruction, stamsorc with Mages' Fury, and so on.

In both cases you should stack as much weapon damage as possible to use magicka abilities properly. Most likely, you will lack of sustain and survivability, becoming a glasscannon, but this is the price to be sacrificed for a quality pelinal build.
    Everything is viable
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to make a hybrid do more than tickle your opponent, you're going to be a glass canon.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only place it has any place on live IMO is with a stamina build wanting to use Thrassian Stanglers in places like VMA. That wont be necessary next patch.

Otherwise, Hybrid builds are going to disappoint in this game 99 times out of 100.
  • Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know theres a price to pay no matter how you slice a hybrid build. Im just trying to maximize its potential.

What I'm gathering though, is I need to build for weapon dmg, and sacrifice the added stamina scaling to invest in magicka, so that I can have a better pool for heals. If thats the case, I will just remain as is and start farming stamina gear. My hope was to make a magicka build with Pelinals Aptitude.

@Celestro thanks for the link! That actually helped lot.

New questions:
    • Hypothetically speaking... If I make a medium armor pelinal build and maximize weapon dmg... does that scale my magica abiliites too? Or will they still be weak and scale off max magica?
    • If I invest in CP for physical dmg, does pelinal also convert that buff to my spell dmg? Or does it solely influence the dmg I would do with a staff?
    I guess I'm just trying to figure out what all pelinal effects.
  • Celestro
    Celestro
    ✭✭✭
    Magicka abilities scale off Spell Damage and Max Magicka inherently, so they'll be stronger than using Magicka skill on a pure Stam build but still weaker than a pure Mag build, even if you stack Max Magicka. At least in the case of stacking Weapon Damage and Max Magicka, you kind of get the best of both worlds if you also use other sources of increasing max Magicka like Inner Light, Sorcerer's Bound Aegis skill or Warden's Northern Storm ultimate.

But no for CP. Only equalizes Weapon and Spell Damage. I wish it did since that would help hybrid builds out that much more. Or even just equalizing Max Stamina and Magicka in addition.