The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Question about AOE Calculations: Ground vs. DoT

ealdwin
ealdwin
✭✭✭✭✭
With the announcement of the tests in Cyrodiil down the road, there is a question regarding AOEs that I was hoping someone might have some insight into.

Is there any difference in the number of calculations involved between skills similar to Soul Splitting Trap and skills similar to Wall of Elements?

It is my assumption that skills like Soul Splitting Trap would be less taxing on the server calculation-wise since the AOE is only calculated on the initial hit, and then a dot is applied to each target in the area defined by that initial hit. Whereas skills like Wall of Elements require calculations every tick in order to redetermine which targets are affected and take damage, and would therefore be more taxing on the server.

Anyone know? Thoughts?

(I know that everyone has some strong opinions about the tests, and whether they will help and the effect they will have on classes & play-styles, and there are plenty of threads already on the forums about them. I would appreciate it if this thread could stay more focused on a discussion about AOE types & their differences rather than the merits and effects of the tests. Thanks)
  • Thoragaal
    Thoragaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ealdwin wrote: »
    Is there any difference in the number of calculations involved between skills similar to Soul Splitting Trap and skills similar to Wall of Elements?

My thoughts are along the same lines. That's what I think :tongue:
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    "I've always wanted to kick a duck up the arse" -Karl Pilkington, on the question what he'd do if it was the last day on earth.