The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

BATTLE ROYAL THAT YOU CAN'T DO WITH YOU FRIENDS?!!?! SERIOUSLY?!?!?!

Vizzini
Vizzini
✭✭
So me and a bunch of friends have been moving over to ESO and one be one we are completely disappointed and even more so surprised that ESO decided to make battle royal that you can only do ALONE. Like holy hell. This is what battle royal is all about. I have to assume this happened because a few ppl complained in the forums. But seriously ppl will always complain in the forums. How could you have thought that literally destroying the whole point of battle royal would solve the problem.

The way to solve the "new ppl getting clobbered" problem was solved by other games. Its just a simple ranked system. when you start battlegrounds you are rank 1. The system attempts to pull in other ppl close to your rank depending on who else is in que. If you are winning frequently you rank up and the process continues. If you loose frequently you rank down. Ranks go up to 50. New ppl love it because you fight other new ppl. Then even if you don't have a group to que with you can still do ok. Experienced ppl love it because they know they are not getting better by killing noobs. They get to always be tested and have their skills honed as well. Plus it makes it super addictive. In every group sometimes there are a few higher ranked or lower but the average is usually the majority. It worked beautifully in Halo pvp and several other titles.

But holy Lord of hosts please change this. The more i play ESO the less I play with other ppl. They have to be at the exact same place in quests to do quests so i can usually be more productive by myself. Group queing helps cultivate friendships. But yes Ranked is a necessity. But don't separate ppl and not let friends play battle royal together. Im not one to post in forums like ever. But im sitting here playing the one of the best games ever made in my opinion, and am looking at battlegrounds, and can't que with friends , so already feel like my mind is wandering and wanting to play something else. Please developers, Change your battle royal to let group que. It is seriously incomprehensible to me and the overwhelming majority of gamers that you would not let groups que. Not to mention completely go against every industry norm and expectation.
  • Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not actually a battle royale. So there's that. They also have no current intention of changing it, in spite of dozens of threads making the same demand over and over again.

Contrary to vocal belief, many if not most of us like BGs better this way. Go to Imperial City if you and your friends want to beat up on people. Or ride a zerg in Cyrodiil somewhere and fight people farming AP for transmute stones.
    "I haven't really played much yet, but lemme tell you all about how the game should include X and be a lot more like Y!" - Half the posters on this forum.
    "I've been here for years, and lemme tell you all about how they should never change or evolve Z, because then the game would be ruined forever." - The other half of posters on this forum.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a rank system currently, however, ZOS refuses to tell people their ranks (something about elitism) so we don't know what our actual rank is and have no way to tell if our matches are even taking that into account.

Basically, there is no ranking system if there is no way to check that it exists even if ZOS says it does.

If we had a working ranking system that we could see in action, it might solve some of the issues at least.
    Edited by redspecter23 on July 15, 2020 3:56AM
  • Vizzini
    Vizzini
    ✭✭
    Hanokihs wrote: »
    It's not actually a battle royale. So there's that. They also have no current intention of changing it, in spite of dozens of threads making the same demand over and over again.

Contrary to vocal belief, many if not most of us like BGs better this way. Go to Imperial City if you and your friends want to beat up on people. Or ride a zerg in Cyrodiil somewhere and fight people farming AP for transmute stones.

Uhhh its totally Battle Royale. And yes lets go with that . Ppl don't like to play battle royale with their friends. Some of the biggest triple A titles are made with just that one game mode as the entire game. But ya ok sure thing bud.
  • Vizzini
    Vizzini
    ✭✭
    There is a rank system currently, however, ZOS refuses to tell people their ranks (something about elitism) so we don't know what our actual rank is and have no way to tell if our matches are even taking that into account.

Basically, there is no ranking system if there is no way to check that it exists even if ZOS says it does.

If we had a working ranking system that we could see in action, it might solve some of the issues at least.

Thats sad , because i get completely shattered regularly by ppl I can't even damage. If what your saying is true that must mean that barely anyone is on :/
  • Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vizzini wrote: »

Uhhh its totally Battle Royale. And yes lets go with that . Ppl don't like to play battle royale with their friends. Some of the biggest triple A titles are made with just that one game mode as the entire game. But ya ok sure thing bud.

Okay, then go play one. And Google the definition of "battle royale."

Battlegrounds are based on 4 different team-based challenges, and unlike a battle royale, there's no reward for being the last man standing in any of them, including deathmatch. Because players constantly respawn to continue fighting/completing objectives, and individual point tallies aren't particularly important on their own.
    "I haven't really played much yet, but lemme tell you all about how the game should include X and be a lot more like Y!" - Half the posters on this forum.
    "I've been here for years, and lemme tell you all about how they should never change or evolve Z, because then the game would be ruined forever." - The other half of posters on this forum.
  • Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apologies for the double post (provided nobody else posted while I was tapping) - mobile won't cough up the edit button. I tried.

Anyway. The real reason people prefer solo BGs over the group queue we had is because the MMR system isn't intelligent/optimized. For one, there was nothing separating groups from solo players. And for two, your MMR rank apparently only resets when they wipe the system. What this means is that, the more you play, the higher your rank. Has nothing to do with skill, it's based on points accrued over time. And while the algorithm does artificially heighten the rank of grouped players, it ultimately can't compete with sheer time played.

What we ended up with was a system that punished solo players for playing too often, because once you crossed the threshold into group territory, there was no turning back. So coordinated pug stomping teams would just faceroll the same solo/duo players over and over and over again, because that's who they always got paired with. So after enough people noted how decidedly unfun it was to keep getting blasted by teams with voice comms and dedicated tanks/healers, they wiped the MMR and made the queue solo-only to more accurately match players and give everyone a fighting chance. So here we are.
  • Weesacs
    Weesacs
    ✭✭✭✭
    'The way to solve the "new ppl getting clobbered" problem'.

That wasn't really the problem. Low MMR matches where pretty much balanced (unless of course you had experienced players playing alts however that's another issue). The main issue was high end MMR matches. For example, 90% of my time is spent in BGs. This essentially gave me high MMR (regardless of whether I'm a good player or not). This meant that most of my matches was against premades.

My inflated MMR (which never decreases) meant I was 90% of the time up against premades. This wasnt fun. Getting stomped by an organised, synched group on comms while being in a pug wasn't fun.

Because of this solo queues where absolutely needed.

On the other hand, the current system isn't fair for players like yourself and your friend's who want to play together. This is why a group queue should be added. No one really knows the reason why they aren't introducing one. The main reason being touted is that there isn't enough players to do that however there have been many suggestions on these forums on how to increase the population but nothing has been implemented to date.

Lastly, it's obvious they don't put much resource, time and effort into BGs because they could be so much better than they currently are ... but BGs don't make money so there focus is more aimed at new content and the crown store.

High Elf Templar
    PS4 - EU - DC
    Over 37,500 Achievements!
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apologies for the double post (provided nobody else posted while I was tapping) - mobile won't cough up the edit button. I tried.

Anyway. The real reason people prefer solo BGs over the group queue we had is because the MMR system isn't intelligent/optimized. For one, there was nothing separating groups from solo players. And for two, your MMR rank apparently only resets when they wipe the system. What this means is that, the more you play, the higher your rank. Has nothing to do with skill, it's based on points accrued over time. And while the algorithm does artificially heighten the rank of grouped players, it ultimately can't compete with sheer time played.

What we ended up with was a system that punished solo players for playing too often, because once you crossed the threshold into group territory, there was no turning back. So coordinated pug stomping teams would just faceroll the same solo/duo players over and over and over again, because that's who they always got paired with. So after enough people noted how decidedly unfun it was to keep getting blasted by teams with voice comms and dedicated tanks/healers, they wiped the MMR and made the queue solo-only to more accurately match players and give everyone a fighting chance. So here we are.

Stop speaking as if a majority prefer solo queue. ZOS has no vision for PvP, so acting as if their decisions have any thought behind them is kinda laughable. BG's are alot worse now compared to when you could group up.

BG's now is basically a dice roll on who gets the least amount of inexperienced players who feed. The amount of pugstomping has only increased with the removal of group queues. The only difference is that instead of a group pug stomping an entire team, it's an individual player or two/BG who does it instead.

Another thing that is more common since the removal of group queues is that more people leave matches and you're also more likely to get ported into a game that is already in progress.

If you wanna fix BG's you start by fixing the horrible MMR system (and let us see it ffs) and add GOOD leaderboards with propper rewards. Then add group queues back and make it so that leaderboard and rewards connected to them are only available through group queues. We can still keep a solo queue only option, that doesn't have any mmr system associated to it. But with Cyrodil being unplayable 90% of the time, and imperial city dead outside of 2 events/year, group BG's is needed.
  • Freakin_Hytte
    Freakin_Hytte
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol you have absolutely no idea what battle royal even is if you think battlegrounds are the same thing.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weesacs wrote: »
    'The way to solve the "new ppl getting clobbered" problem'.

That wasn't really the problem. Low MMR matches where pretty much balanced (unless of course you had experienced players playing alts however that's another issue). The main issue was high end MMR matches. For example, 90% of my time is spent in BGs. This essentially gave me high MMR (regardless of whether I'm a good player or not). This meant that most of my matches was against premades.

My inflated MMR (which never decreases) meant I was 90% of the time up against premades. This wasnt fun. Getting stomped by an organised, synched group on comms while being in a pug wasn't fun.

Because of this solo queues where absolutely needed.

On the other hand, the current system isn't fair for players like yourself and your friend's who want to play together. This is why a group queue should be added. No one really knows the reason why they aren't introducing one. The main reason being touted is that there isn't enough players to do that however there have been many suggestions on these forums on how to increase the population but nothing has been implemented to date.

Lastly, it's obvious they don't put much resource, time and effort into BGs because they could be so much better than they currently are ... but BGs don't make money so there focus is more aimed at new content and the crown store.

I think you've highlighted the main issues with MMR. It never goes down, meaning that no matter what your skill level is, you keep getting pushed up as even the worst players get wins from time to time and that it is character based and not account based. A top tier player on an alt is still an amazing player. The player skill level is still there.

If both these points are true and currently in place for matchmaking then it's a complete fail of logic, math, common sense and respect to players.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah man, Battlegrounds are 100% NOT battle royal.

You should check your assertions before portraying such confidence in them.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    battlegrounds are not a battle royale. Battlegrounds are small team, objective based gameplay.
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    To each others, they're not a battle royale.

They're three team Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, King of the hill etc.

And yes, they're so much better than group queue. They're nice when you have a bit of time to hop in. If you go alone, you get farmed by pre made groups.

There's cyrodiil and imperial city for organised group play.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What is this.......
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Less toxic now a-days that much is for sure.
  • Mortiis13
    Mortiis13
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think a Groupe and a solo queue would be a acceptable solution for everyone. Pre made fight premades, solo players solo players.
    But the management seems to think it cost to much to implementing it or the recoding is to difficult, who knows.

Zos don't like to communicate a lot, especially when they not able to do it (c advanced justice system years ago, spellcrafting etc.)
    I understand the issue group players may have, but it may never change.

Alternative you can go to IC with your friends or ball group in Cyrodiil resources/outposts/villages, play the tower game.
    For solo players( beside gank/bombing) their is only bg and that's not Realy solo play anyway, because zos seems to do anything to f... Up solo play in ic/cyro with the massiv amount of heal/defense nerfs.
    Edited by Mortiis13 on July 17, 2020 3:01PM
  • AMeanOne
    AMeanOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Battle royale lol. I don't think you know what that is
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Contrary to vocal belief, many if not most of us like BGs better this way.

While it is easy to suggest a majority of players like or want something a certain way it is highly questionable as we do not have the means to actually find things like this out. Even the forum polls fall greatly short of indicating what the player base likes as the forums tend to attract extremes.
  • Algorax
    Algorax
    ✭✭✭✭
    And then there is me, who's playing since 2015 and suddently believed that missed a BR mode for years.
    Now i do not know if i have to be glad about not have incurred in such an oversight or sad that no BR exists in this game...
  • precambria
    precambria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solo only queue is only preferred by people who do a low amount of BGs per day, all the BG regulars are over it and want duo queues. The matchmaking system will never be good enough to make balanced teams so the only way to have good comps is to make them ourselves, the idea that we just want to pug stomp is false we want to face eachother but with groups that don't have a random lowbie or one team with a dedicated healer a dedicated CC spammer a DK and a dps vs 4 skilled players that also happen to all be bowtards or a melee caster with 3 magsorcs.
  • precambria
    precambria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They all but completely banished support players with this change, imagine queueing for a BG as a healer and you get a bunch of stamsorcs who start kiting in 3 directions, or that fact that most people don't even know what defensive pressure is, it's sad we lost a lot of good players over this. I feel like this discussion has been had so many times and no matter how clear we make the issues or the solutions it is falling on deaf ears.

Based on the polls, the conversations within the community and the forums people DO want grouping in battlegrounds to be a thing. The idea that there is some silent majority who are happy with how it is, it's just not accurate yes there are some people who prefer solo but the population of people in battlegrounds has DECREASED a lot especially in high MMR where advancing tactics means group play there is not much else to learn about how to farm solo queue we can't hold the entire PvP community hostage because a few folks don't like the prospect of losing to communication despite their "elite solo pvp god dueler" status, seriously just go duel oh but wait than you would have to face good players when what you really want is a buffet of ill prepared disorganized rando's to flex on with minimized risk of being outplayed.