Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Home Envasion

Kazren
Kazren
✭✭✭
Should I be alarmed? The only people who have visitor rights to my home are those in my #1 guild. At the time this event happened, there was only one other guildie on, and he was in Coldharbor. And I wasn't in my primary residence, yet I found someone running around in my home. How could this happen and what can I do to prevent it?
  • Athyrium93
    Athyrium93
    ✭✭✭✭
    Double check housing permissions and send in a bug report
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Can you be sure it wasn't a guildie? They could be marked as offline, so if you're assuming only one guildie was online because you checked the guild list, you may have been mistaken.
  • kadochka
    kadochka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You sure it wasn't a guild member who was simply showing up as Offline under the roster?
    If it wasn't.. :anguished: spooky!

(edit: posted this moments too late, I see.. :D)
    Edited by kadochka on July 22, 2020 3:43PM
    if I could make another character, their name would be Cries-For-Character-Slots. AKA, I need more.

• Kazren
    Kazren
    ✭✭✭
    Not a guildie, like I said only one of my guilds has permission to visit and in that guild only one guy was on and he was in Coldharbor. I did put in a bug report immediately after checking my persmissions.
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kazren wrote: »
    Not a guildie, like I said only one of my guilds has permission to visit and in that guild only one guy was on and he was in Coldharbor. I did put in a bug report immediately after checking my persmissions.

May I ask how you know this? Did you ask to ensure that no one was in offline mode? Don't want this to come off the wrong way, could be a bug, but I think it's important to rule this out.
  • Kazren
    Kazren
    ✭✭✭
    Raisin, the person in my house was running around. He or she ran through one of the portals (it was the Hall of the Lunar Champion). I belatedly thought to chase after, but by the time I got out there, they were either ported away, hiding, or offline.
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    1 btw what platform? and 2 is that your username? Double checking I didn't visit your home.
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
    streamer: http://twitch.tv/stabbitydoom
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Out of curiosity and as it's somewhat relevant, who can access my homes? Lets say that I put one guild on my visitor list as well as my friends. My understanding is that those are the only people that can access the house. If anyone else was to try to port to someone that is there, they would get a message telling them they don't have permissions.

If it doesn't work this way, how do you lock down your house? You can ban guilds or individual players, but how do you just basically turn off access to everyone?
  • Kazren
    Kazren
    ✭✭✭
    Redspecter23 - I guess that's my question because I have it set up for only members from my first guild can visit, so where this UI person came from, I can't imagine.
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    yeah haven't visited your home under "Kazren"

By the way, why is this a problem? are you scared of what people might say about your work?
    Edited by StabbityDoom on July 23, 2020 1:55AM
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

By the way, why is this a problem? are you scared of what people might say about your work?

I know if it were me, I wouldn't want randoms I don't even know coming in and using training dummies intended for friends and guildmates. In addition, I'm hearing reports of some "trollish" interactions that some players are able to perform on others that will impact their gameplay in negative ways while in houses and I won't say much more than that on that particular issue.

Needless to say, if someone doesn't want others in their house, there are tons of potential reasons, though in most situations, I don't think there would be an issue. Troublemakers will always find a way to troll.
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Raisin, the person in my house was running around. He or she ran through one of the portals (it was the Hall of the Lunar Champion). I belatedly thought to chase after, but by the time I got out there, they were either ported away, hiding, or offline.

You don't seem to understand that if one of your guildies is playing in 'offline' mode, they won't show as playing on the guild roster. So, if that was one of your guildies, you wouldn't know unless you ask.

Also, just curious, but doesn't their name show if you move your mouse over them?
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Out of curiosity and as it's somewhat relevant, who can access my homes? Lets say that I put one guild on my visitor list as well as my friends.

I think if you're offline (or outside the house), then people can only travel to the house you've selected as your main home. People = users from your friends list and maybe(?) guildmates.

Other houses can only be accessed if you're inside and people teleport directly to you (through friends list or guild member list).

Or am I wrong?
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hippie4927 wrote: »

You don't seem to understand that if one of your guildies is playing in 'offline' mode, they won't show as playing on the guild roster. So, if that was one of your guildies, you wouldn't know unless you ask.

Also, just curious, but doesn't their name show if you move your mouse over them?

You can have your guild roster show offline members. You can just sort the list alphabetically and check to see if they are a guildmate. You can have it hide offline members if you choose to, which sounds like the setting you have on. I can see all 500 members of my guild whether they are on or offline at any time.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    Out of curiosity and as it's somewhat relevant, who can access my homes? Lets say that I put one guild on my visitor list as well as my friends.

I think if you're offline (or outside the house), then people can only travel to the house you've selected as your main home. People = users from your friends list and maybe(?) guildmates.

Other houses can only be accessed if you're inside and people teleport directly to you (through friends list or guild member list).

Or am I wrong?

I've changed my housing settings to check. I set it to no access by default then specifically selected the guilds that I want to have access. I would assume that anyone not in those guilds would then not be able to enter.

Normally, you can travel to a primary residence of anyone allowing access even if they are offline and even if they aren't present and addons may allow you to bypass some of those restrictions. I'm not huge into housing or know all the ins and outs of all housing addons so I'm interested in hearing from anyone with more housing experience than myself. More info is always welcome.
    Edited by redspecter23 on July 23, 2020 3:40AM
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I know if it were me, I wouldn't want randoms I don't even know coming in and using training dummies intended for friends and guildmates. In addition, I'm hearing reports of some "trollish" interactions that some players are able to perform on others that will impact their gameplay in negative ways while in houses and I won't say much more than that on that particular issue.

Needless to say, if someone doesn't want others in their house, there are tons of potential reasons, though in most situations, I don't think there would be an issue. Troublemakers will always find a way to troll.

of course there are many legit reasons to not want someone in your house, I was just curious if it was that.
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
  • Kazren
    Kazren
    ✭✭✭

Not scared, but if they can hack their way in, could they hack their way into my bank? Could they steal my furnishings?
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

You can have your guild roster show offline members. You can just sort the list alphabetically and check to see if they are a guildmate. You can have it hide offline members if you choose to, which sounds like the setting you have on. I can see all 500 members of my guild whether they are on or offline at any time.

Yes, I know, but whether a person is actually offline or playing in offline mode, they show as offline. So the OP wouldn't be able to tell that the one who is playing in offline mode is actually playing. Therefore, it could be a guildie in the OP's house who is playing in offline mode.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I know, but whether a person is actually offline or playing in offline mode, they show as offline. So the OP wouldn't be able to tell that the one who is playing in offline mode is actually playing. Therefore, it could be a guildie in the OP's house who is playing in offline mode.

I think we just don't understand eachother on this one. Lets assume I see someone in my house and take down the name. I can cross reference that with my guilds and friends list. Whether they are playing offline or not, I know their name and can check to see if they are a guildmate. Their offline status doesn't matter at all. I can see their name on the name plate above their head, even if they are in offline mode. I can check to see if that name is on my guild roster, offline or not. I can know if the person in my house is a guildmate if I know their name. The ability to be online and show as offline is not a factor in any sort of way if I have physically seen them in my house.

Yes, their location on the roster will be locked to wherever they set themselves to offline, but that's not what I'd be looking for. I'd only be concerned with whether or not the person I saw with my own eyes has the same name as someone on my guild/friends list.
    Edited by redspecter23 on July 23, 2020 10:26PM
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I think we just don't understand eachother on this one. Lets assume I see someone in my house and take down the name. I can cross reference that with my guilds and friends list. Whether they are playing offline or not, I know their name and can check to see if they are a guildmate. Their offline status doesn't matter at all. I can see their name on the name plate above their head, even if they are in offline mode. I can check to see if that name is on my guild roster, offline or not. I can know if the person in my house is a guildmate if I know their name. The ability to be online and show as offline is not a factor in any sort of way if I have physically seen them in my house.

Yes, their location on the roster will be locked to wherever they set themselves to offline, but that's not what I'd be looking for. I'd only be concerned with whether or not the person I saw with my own eyes has the same name as someone on my guild/friends list.

Gonna butt in here since it was my original point: OP drew the conclusion that because only one guildie was showing as online, only that guildie was actually online. And because that guildie was in Coldharbor, that means the person in their house cannot have been a guildie. That was the thought process. What you're describing isn't wrong, it just doesn't apply to the situation and no one ever disputed it. It's simply in no way relevant to what happened, as OP didn't say 'I saw their name, checked my guild roster and they weren't a guildie'.
    If OP had gotten the person's name they wouldn't have to check their guild list and draw a conclusion based on online status in the first place, they could have messaged the other person and otherwise have better options in handling this in general. As you said, it's clearly a misunderstanding as you are talking about a situation different from the rest of the people in this thread.

Anyway, I think it would've been good to ask in guild chat as soon as they noticed, or the next day, but depending on the size of the guild that's probably a worthless endeavor. I know housing permissions have been glitch before in the past, so it'd hardly be a surprise. I'd personally just prefer it if it turned out to be a guildie after all, and not a concerning bug.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Which means it could have been a guild member. Also, seeing which guild members online does not actually tell you who is online since we can mark ourselves offline and no one would know the difference unless we typed in chat or they saw our character.

This means if you actually see someone then note their name but make sure you are able to see their @name since that is what all our characters are tied to.
    Edited by idk on July 23, 2020 10:46PM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP, why didn't you just whisper them and ask who they are and how they got in your house?

Also, if you think they were hiding somewhere, you can see how many players are in your house from decorating mode.
    PCNA
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Also, if you think they were hiding somewhere, you can see how many players are in your house from decorating mode.

Wait, what?

Please tell me more about this!
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Raisin wrote: »

Gonna butt in here since it was my original point: OP drew the conclusion that because only one guildie was showing as online, only that guildie was actually online. And because that guildie was in Coldharbor, that means the person in their house cannot have been a guildie. That was the thought process. What you're describing isn't wrong, it just doesn't apply to the situation and no one ever disputed it. It's simply in no way relevant to what happened, as OP didn't say 'I saw their name, checked my guild roster and they weren't a guildie'.
    If OP had gotten the person's name they wouldn't have to check their guild list and draw a conclusion based on online status in the first place, they could have messaged the other person and otherwise have better options in handling this in general. As you said, it's clearly a misunderstanding as you are talking about a situation different from the rest of the people in this thread.

Anyway, I think it would've been good to ask in guild chat as soon as they noticed, or the next day, but depending on the size of the guild that's probably a worthless endeavor. I know housing permissions have been glitch before in the past, so it'd hardly be a surprise. I'd personally just prefer it if it turned out to be a guildie after all, and not a concerning bug.

Thank you for 'butting in', @Raisin ! I couldn't have explained it better myself! :)

If the OP had seen the @name, this whole conversation would be moot.
    Edited by Hippie4927 on July 24, 2020 9:10AM
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Not scared, but if they can hack their way in, could they hack their way into my bank? Could they steal my furnishings?

I have never, ever, ever seen that happen or even heard of that happening, and I'm very involved in the housing world. I wouldn't worry too much.
    Edited by StabbityDoom on July 24, 2020 1:00PM
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »

Wait, what?

Please tell me more about this!

Hit F5 and go into decorating mode. Then hit R for browse. Over to the left is a panel that gives you information on how many slots you have, and how many used etc., plus how many players are currently in your home (Population).

zdwgoor2u67k.png

Edited by SilverBride on July 24, 2020 3:55PM
    PCNA
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never, ever, ever seen that happen or even heard of that happening, and I'm very involved in the housing world. I wouldn't worry too much.

Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it can't. If someone really did find a way to get themselves on your guest list, or bypass the list completely and enter your home, why isn't it feasible that they could alter your other housing permissions, too, and take your furnishings?
    PCNA
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it can't. If someone really did find a way to get themselves on your guest list, or bypass the list completely and enter your home, why isn't it feasible that they could alter your other housing permissions, too, and take your furnishings?

Because there’s no setting, even decorator, that allows you to take furnishings out of a home you don’t own.
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because there’s no setting, even decorator, that allows you to take furnishings out of a home you don’t own.

This brings up another question about housing and decorating. My friend wants me to decorate his house. His question was "If I give you permission to decorate my house does it use just my furniture or can you use yours, too?" I assume it only uses his, but am not sure.

PCNA
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did he have a lute or a drum?