Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Question about crafting and vet dungeon

devildarklink
Hi ! Like the title says I have two questions.

Crafting: I notice that my equipment daily writs give me always low inspiration experience and always the same kind of materials as rewards (oak in case of woodworking), why is that? At first I thought it was that my skill line was low level, but now that I am at lvl 40 of woodworking skill line it doesnt make sense, also my daily writs always request me to do the same type of material, in woodworking is always oak. Is this related with the level of skill? because I can only till oak? I didn't leveled up more the skill, it's still only allows me to craft till oak, is that the issue?

Vet dungeon: so what is a veteran dungeon? I notice for example there is the dungeon Darkshade I and Darkshade II, is the version II of any dungeon a veteran dungeon or what? Also why should I do veteran dungeon instead of normal? I assume better loot but would like to confirm, more experience also? I notice on activity finder the bonus experience is the same doing normal or vet.

Thanks!
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You have to level up the skill. You might be at level 40, but have you put skill points into improving woodworking? Here's a list of the levels and the mats used: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Woodworking

1 1 free​ Allows the use of Sanded Maple wood.
    5 2 Allows the use of Sanded Oak wood.
    10 3 Allows the use of Sanded Beech wood.
    15 4 Allows the use of Sanded Hickory wood.
    20 5 Allows the use of Sanded Yew wood.
    25 6 Allows the use of Sanded Birch wood.
    30 7 Allows the use of Sanded Ash wood.
    35 8 Allows the use of Sanded Mahogany wood.
    40 9 Allows the use of Sanded Nightwood.
    50 10 Allows the use of Sanded Ruby Ash.

The materials you find are 50/50 with your skill level and your crafting level. For example, my cp160 character with maxed crafting skills will only find rubedite ore, rubedo leather, and ancestor silk. One of my alts that I did NOT put skill points into the crafting lines will find rubedite/rubedo/ancestor silk about half the time. The other 50% will be iron, jute, and maple.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    #1 has already been answered, it gives you writs of the level you can work with - in your case, writs that require you to make oaken things but also grant you oak in return. As you put more skill points in the passive, you'll start getting higher tier writs that require higher level mats and award higher level mats as well, along with slightly higher xp.

Veteran dungeons are more challenging versions of dungeons that become available after level 50. Far as I and II go, back at the dawn of ESO there used to be no I and II, say, what is now known as Spindleclutch I was simply Spindleclutch, a level 15 dungeon, and what is now known as Spindleclutch II was a veteran Spindleclutch, a vet rank 5 (back then we had no CP but champion levels after hitting level 50) dungeon. A lot of things have changed since then, now everything is the same level and ALL dungeons have normal and veteran versions so in order to avoid confusion those that had second version were renamed to I and II. Ergo, dungeons II tend to be a little bit longer and more challenging than dungeons I.

You can switch from normal to vet in group tab, or/and you can explicitly choose normal or vet when queueing for specific dungeons/random dungeon. Notice that you'll have to be >lvl 50 for that, and for some vet dungeons, more challenging ones, you'll have to be >300 CP in order to queue for them (you can still enter them manually with a team of your own though).

Rewards-wise, I'm honestly not sure on xp, if it's higher in vet dungeons, it's not by much. You get same sets but in purple quality vs blue in normals (especially important for jewelry since that's very costly to upgrade) and you also get monster helms off the last boss - which does not drop in normal (unless that's being changed recently? I don't think it has, been a while since I ran normals). Vet dungeons have a lot of achievements normal dungeons don't, such as speedrun, no death and hard mode (a way to buff the last boss, making the encounter a lot more challenging). Running a dungeon on vet and activating HM is the only way to get 2 keys in daily dungeon quests, pledges. A lot of dlc dungeons also have motifs drop off last boss, the chance of motif drop being guaranteed in HM, mediocre in veteran non-HM and low on normal.
    Edited by Magdalina on July 20, 2020 1:16PM
  • devildarklink
    Okay thanks guys for the help, I understand now both my questions. I will use this topic to ask another related question then:

I haven't upgraded my crafting passives yet because I was wondering about the shortage of skill points.

I have around 40 skill points to use now, but I still need some points for my dual wield/bow/two handed skill lines, not all skills are unlocked.

So my question is: is it possible to have a fully crafted character and still be able to use it for combat (pve and pvp) properly, I mean I know about skyshards and quests that give skill points, if I pick all of them, I will be able to have all skills of crafting and still be a good character for combat? Or I need a separate character just for crafting?

Thanks!
  • VoluptaBox
    VoluptaBox
    ✭✭✭
    Okay thanks guys for the help, I understand now both my questions. I will use this topic to ask another related question then:

I haven't upgraded my crafting passives yet because I was wondering about the shortage of skill points.

I have around 40 skill points to use now, but I still need some points for my dual wield/bow/two handed skill lines, not all skills are unlocked.

So my question is: is it possible to have a fully crafted character and still be able to use it for combat (pve and pvp) properly, I mean I know about skyshards and quests that give skill points, if I pick all of them, I will be able to have all skills of crafting and still be a good character for combat? Or I need a separate character just for crafting?

Thanks!

Yes, there are more than enough available skill points to max crafting and have a character with all the skills necessary to do combat, either PvE or PvP (or both). Sources of skill points are quests (main quest, zone quests, guild quests, dungeon quests), skyshards, public dungeon events and alliance war ranks.
  • devildarklink
    VoluptaBox wrote: »

Thanks!

Yes, there are more than enough available skill points to max crafting and have a character with all the skills necessary to do combat, either PvE or PvP (or both). Sources of skill points are quests (main quest, zone quests, guild quests, dungeon quests), skyshards, public dungeon events and alliance war ranks.

Okay great that's what I would like to hear, then I will use my points on crafting in this char :D
  • Athyrium93
    Athyrium93
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is something like 400 skill points available (not sure on exact total as of Greymore)

You can MAX

All Class skills (60)
    All Crafting (156)
    All Racial skills (9)
    All Armor skills (39)
    All Mages or Fighters guild and Undaunted(33)
    4 Weapon skills (88)

and still have 15 points left over
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Athyrium93 wrote: »
    There is something like 400 skill points available (not sure on exact total as of Greymore)

455 total skill points available, @Athyrium93.

Though a few of those are the "missing skill points" from the older tutorial missions (e.g. Firemoth Island; Vvardenfell).

Still plenty, though, to max out crafting and combat ...

Edited by Taleof2Cities on July 20, 2020 4:57PM
  • Athyrium93
    Athyrium93
    ✭✭✭✭
    Athyrium93 wrote: »

455 total skill points available, @Athyrium93.

Though a few of those are the "missing skill points" from the older tutorial missions (e.g. Firemoth Island; Vvardenfell).

Still plenty, though, to max out crafting and combat ...

Glad to know there's more than I thought, I think I forgot the pvp/cyrodiil ones because I don't have those
  • devildarklink
    Okay that's amazing then, I really need to farm those skill points :P
    Thank you for the input!
  • Wandering_Immigrant
    Wandering_Immigrant
    ✭✭✭✭
    To be clear about one and two dungeon versions, two is no longer considered vet, so blue gear drops and no monster helms. If you're able to follow the quest story within dungeons at all you'll see the version two is actually a new story, usually a continue of the version one, with sometimes new bosses, sometimes updated version of the original bosses, sometimes even new rooms opening up, but all scaled with their own normal and vet versions.

And yeah there's plenty of skillpoints for crafting and combat on the same character, it can be rough leveling them simultaneously on your first character though if that's your plan. Doable, but you'll find yourself torn between crafting or combat with every skillpoint you get.

I ended up leveling a separate character for crafting, who eventually maxed her crafting and then started focusing on combat. All my other characters just focus on combat, while slowly adding to crafting when they have an excess of skillpoints.