The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Trying to break into pve

chiftie
chiftie
So I've finally hit 810 and I've gathered most of my skill points. Now I’d like to break into pve but I’m not sure where to start and how to progress. Can someone point me to a guide. I searched around and most resources and guides I found were from several expansions ago.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    huh. Normally people use pve to level up to break into pvp and the "end game" trials.

Go to the starting town for your faction. Davon's Watch, or Vulkhel Guard, or Daggerfall.
    Meet the Hooded Stranger.
    Go meet your mysterious benefactor.
    Follow the story from there, do side quests as you want to.
    Edited by JKorr on July 19, 2020 6:32AM
  • Luckylancer
    Luckylancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think he means end game PvE.

Select the class you want to play with
    Go to alcast site and grab the begginer sets for your class
    Farm intermediate sets
    Practice your (alcast's actualy) rotation (this is the most important step to increase dps
    Find an active PvE guild from... Craglorn?
    Do normal trials first then do veterans

Personal tips: you can fake tank normal dungeons, this will reduce your que times a lot and maybe you can skip begginer crafted gear to save money. You can be average healer if you are a mag dd too. It can work at veteran non-dlc dungeons too.
    You can buy below average dd set in guild stores to skip begginer gear
    You can craft 150cp gear to pay less to crafting gear, they are not that bad imo but cost 10% of 160cp crafting gear
    veteran maelstrom arena will teach you how to survive at pve but it is a torture for me. Try it but if you cant beat it, get the normal MA weapons. You can go back there later on if you are a masochist
    Edited by Luckylancer on July 19, 2020 9:40AM
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Start with base game veteran dungeons, then DLC veteran dungeons, vMA, vDSA and Craglorn trials, and the next tier is DLC veteran trials and vBRP.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • chiftie
    chiftie

Farm intermediate sets
    Practice your (alcast's actualy) rotation (this is the most important step to increase dps

Personal tips: you can fake tank normal dungeons, this will reduce your que times a lot and maybe you can skip begginer crafted gear to save money. You can be average healer if you are a mag dd too. It can work at veteran non-dlc dungeons too.
    You can craft 150cp gear to pay less to crafting gear, they are not that bad imo but cost 10% of 160cp crafting gear
    veteran maelstrom arena will teach you how to survive at pve but it is a torture for me. Try it but if you cant beat it, get the normal MA weapons. You can go back there later on if you are a masochist

Awesome. Thanks! This is a great roadmap.
  • Athyrium93
    Athyrium93
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just jump on a training dummy (most guilds have at least a few in their guild house if you don't have one) and see what your DPS is now, if your on PC download combat metrics or a similar add-on. Do a couple parses to see how you do, how your sustain is, and if you have add-ons how your uptime on AOE's and any buffs/debuffs are.

Then go look up some build guides for your specific class, Alcast, like mentioned above, is good, but so are a lot of other creators, so just find a build you like, (If you don't know how to LA weave, now is the time to go watch some videos on doing it) and then try a parse on the dummy with their recommended skills, rotation and potions/foods. You can worry about the gear later because it isn't the biggest part of your DPS.

Hopefully the numbers got bigger, If your hitting 20dps go run some normal vet dungeons, learn the mechanics, and have fun.
    While doing that pick up whatever decent dungeon sets you can find, whichever build your following should have a list of gear that will work. Don't bother buying gear unless it's something you'll use for a long time (like mother's sorrow on some magicka builds, no idea what the stam equivalent is) Just gear that you will be using long term unless you have the gold to burn because there are a lot of good dungeon sets.

Once your comfortable with group content do some normal Craiglorn trials, you'll know when your ready to move up to vet DLC dungeons and harder trials
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    chiftie wrote: »

Farm intermediate sets

Awesome. Thanks! This is a great roadmap.

Please don't fake tank. You won't learn anything that way, and even on normal it can be frustrating for group members (even tho normal dungeons are really easy).

I would:
    1. Do normal dungeons until you're comfy there
    2. Try veteran non-DLC dungeons — daily pledges will be the easiest ones to find groups for
    3. Join a guild to do pledges with. You probably want 20-30k DPS on a 3mil dummy before hopping into vet DLC dungeons (some are way easier than others)

Things to work on:
    1. Light attack weaving. Really important for veteran DLC content & trials
    2. Rotation. Same as above
    3. I like to practice rotations on basegame world bosses. All the ones in Deshaan (EXCEPT the guar + spriggans one!!) are pretty straightforward, and require a bit of blocking & healing like real dungeon content.
    4. Work on normal & vet Maelstrom Arena! Might be a long journey to finishing veteran MA, but once you can do that, any dungeon hardmode or vet trial is within reach

This is just DPS advice, tanking and healing are different, but still pledges with friends/guildies are the best way to learn.

Good luck have fun!!
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner