The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

The Templar's "Burning Light" passive rework idea

StarOfElyon
StarOfElyon
✭✭✭✭✭
Templar - Aedric Spear:
Burning Light: This passive has been slightly reworked so that the damage now triggers when you deal damage 4 times within rapid succession to an enemy with an Aedric Spear ability, rather than having a 25% chance to proc per hit. Note that the time window is long enough that abilities that hit at least once every second between will continue to proc this passive.

Removing the 25% chance to do additional damage will hurt the Aedric Spear skill line, I believe. It affects much more than just puncturing sweeps. I can't bring myself to believe that this change will go live.

I got to thinking about the passive and then I got a crazy idea that I just wanted to share (I know it's going to be rejected by most but hear me out anyway)!

What if ZOS made the Burning Light passive a 1 - 3% chance to proc the "burning status" when we deal damage with Aedric Spear abilities.

I understand that procs are probably causing poor server performance but this proc is already in the game anyway. I mean, I think this would be a pretty cool change. I've always thought Templars should have even more fire damage in their arsenal.
Edited by StarOfElyon on July 14, 2020 6:42AM
  • MiguZ
    MiguZ
    ✭✭✭
    1-3%? Missing any digits from those numbers? Basically instead of the nerfs they are planning you want it to NEVER proc instead. AMAZING IDEA. Also no. What are stamplars supposed to do with your burning that procs 100-200 dmg per tick? Currently the burning light crits for around 10k dmg in PVE.

I can't even...
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1-3% chance to proc burning? Why not just use a glyph and forget to light attack weave... for like an hour
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh well. It wasn't a great idea. But at least the emotional reaction was entertaining.
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This would be useless for Stamplar. They should just rebalance the current version to proc 100% of the time whenever you deal damage with Aedric Spear abilities.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Change it to when an aedric spear ability is slotted every 4th attack procs burning light. Would make things pretty interesting
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »
    This would be useless for Stamplar. They should just rebalance the current version to proc 100% of the time whenever you deal damage with Aedric Spear abilities.

The problem is that with Biting Jabs stamplars could melt people's butts off. They nerfed the passive instead of looking at how powerful the combo of Power of the Light (minor fracture and breach) with Biting Jabs (major savagery). If Jabs was reduced in damage then the Burning Light procs wouldn't hurt so much.
    Edited by StarOfElyon on July 15, 2020 10:31PM
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »

The problem is that with Biting Jabs stamplars could melt people's butts off. They nerfed the passive instead of looking at how powerful the combo of Power of the Light (minor fracture and breach) with Biting Jabs (major savagery). If Jabs was reduced in damage then the Burning Light procs wouldn't hurt so much.

The biggest problem is that onslaught could produce a tremendous amount of unmitigated damage and had that residual effect that synergiesed best with a quick PoTL jab combo. Add in a gap closer that stun's and its almost a guranteed kill with little counterplay. Really a rework to onslaught would have been enough though....
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minor vulnerability would make more sense for a proc chance
    Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minor vulnerability would make more sense for a proc chance

Wouldnt help pve templars. This change wont go live but as usual its put out to distract you from the other templar nerfs in backlash and sweeps/jabs speed reduction and a cast time on ult.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about ZOS have Aedric Spear abilities gain stacks of x-amount of penetration on cast/hit, maxing out at 4 stacks until it resets?

The passive can be renamed to Piercing Light.