The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Leads in thieves troves

Lysette
Lysette
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
It is not necessarily a bug, but I think eventually an unintentional side effect, which is somewhat annoying for those with access to thieves troves, but not owning Greymoor. In other places where leads are to find, they will be taken out, even if one doesn't own Greymoor, so the node can be refreshed and one is able to use "take all". Not so with thieve troves - "take all" is blocked for those not owning Greymoor and the lead is left over in the trove and the node cannot refresh. This is annoying for the next thief not owning Greymoor, because the trove contains nothing at all for the thief in this case and cannot refresh either.

So, please check, if this is intentional or just a mistake.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When I've run into this issue, I was able to take the lead by hovering over it and hitting E to take the item individually. That might be a workaround for what you're experiencing.

I've also considered, if I ever get a duplicate lead in a thieves trove or safebox, asking in guilds if anyone needs that lead and having them come to me to loot the box for themselves.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lysette wrote: »
    It is not necessarily a bug, but I think eventually an unintentional side effect, which is somewhat annoying for those with access to thieves troves, but not owning Greymoor. In other places where leads are to find, they will be taken out, even if one doesn't own Greymoor, so the node can be refreshed and one is able to use "take all". Not so with thieve troves - "take all" is blocked for those not owning Greymoor and the lead is left over in the trove and the node cannot refresh. This is annoying for the next thief not owning Greymoor, because the trove contains nothing at all for the thief in this case and cannot refresh either.

So, please check, if this is intentional or just a mistake.

@Lysette Ownership of Greymoor is NOT supposed to be a requirement for obtaining leads, EVERYONE is supposed to be able to get them; you just can't scry and dig them unless you own Greymoor and unlock the Antiquities skill lines. So, it's a bug. You should indicate which platform you are on; I have not experienced this bug on PC - but then I own Greymoor, so probably wouldn't.

Does the same issue apply for the blue lead found (fairly often) in NPC-owned Jewelry boxes in towns? That is, if it's a stealable item, is the theft blocked for you? (Or do you just get a "this item is no longer available" message?)
    Edited by Pyr0xyrecuprotite on July 15, 2020 4:15PM
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on PC - I cannot say anything to blue leads as I'm a strange type of thief - I make use of thieves troves but I'm not stealing otherwise.
  • purple-magicb16_ESO
    purple-magicb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own Greymoor and this happens to me. As mentioned earlier, I have to cursor over the lead and use 'E' to loot. This is mildly irritating.

But, here's something way worse, I also have leads disappear and get the message "That item is no longer available". This happens in about one in every 3 or 4 containers for me, so yes, it's definitely a bug. Leads are not common in the first place, so this is very frustrating and a huge waste of my time. I have submitted a number of bug reports on this but have not heard other players or devs discuss it. It's very strange to me because I experience this all the time but it seems that no on else does.

Signed, Frustrated in Tamriel.
    Give 'er eh!
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    But, here's something way worse, I also have leads disappear and get the message "That item is no longer available". This happens in about one in every 3 or 4 containers for me, so yes, it's definitely a bug. Leads are not common in the first place, so this is very frustrating and a huge waste of my time. I have submitted a number of bug reports on this but have not heard other players or devs discuss it. It's very strange to me because I experience this all the time but it seems that no on else does.

That happens when you already have the lead active in your journal, either because you haven't scried/excavated it yet, or because it's part of a multi-piece item that you haven't completed. The "error" message is kind of misleading, but that's why it happens.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    PC NA
  • purple-magicb16_ESO
    purple-magicb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ilsabet wrote: »

That happens when you already have the lead active in your journal, either because you haven't scried/excavated it yet, or because it's part of a multi-piece item that you haven't completed. The "error" message is kind of misleading, but that's why it happens.

Thanks for your reply @Ilsabet . Yes, I had thought of this too but it still happens when I have no other leads active. Lately, I have been diligent in completing all leads as I get them to eliminate this from happening, but it still does.

On the multi-piece (gold) items, I recently discovered that you can only scry each piece once, at least until you acquire the final item, but still, I don't get any message when I take it, so I am allowed loot the lead and then it just simply doesn't appear in my scry quest journal. I understand this, it should still give some kind of message but I do understand why I don't get it.

Any other info that might help would be greatly appreciated. :/
    Give 'er eh!
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I run into the "That item is no longer available" message most often when I'm stealing from jewelry boxes and get the blue music box lead. I already have the blue and purple pieces done, but I haven't found a gold safebox piece to go with them. So whenever a jewelry box contains the blue lead, and I try to take it, I get that message.

When I'm looting containers that aren't stealing, I don't get that message. I think that's because when I autoloot non-stolen stuff from containers or bodies, any duplicate leads they might contain just evaporate. Because I use autoloot, I don't see what's in the container before I take it. I'm assuming the autoloot is what makes the difference since I'm not actively trying to take a lead that I can't have.
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    PC NA
  • Ishtarknows
    Ishtarknows
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have autoloot stolen items this doesn't work with leads because they aren't stolen . You can select the lead to pick it up, then autoloot the rest. It slows me down a little but works just fine.