The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Scrying interface has too bright flashes

Gamplyr613
Gamplyr613
✭✭
Please tone down A LOT the flashes when opening and closing the scrying interface. They are MUCH too bright and VERY BAD for our eyes! I recommend anyone doing scrying to close their eyes for 3 seconds and turn their face away when opening the interface and when you finish doing the puzzle.
Edited by Gamplyr613 on July 15, 2020 5:50PM
  • Magrat
    Magrat
    ✭✭
    Gamplyr613 wrote: »
    Please tone down A LOT the flashes when opening and closing the scrying interface. They are MUCH too bright and VERY BAD for our eyes! I recommend anyone doing scrying to close their eyes for 3 seconds when opening the interface and when you finish doing the puzzle.

Even closing my eyes I get a headache if I do a few in a row. I don't have epilepsy but these flashes must be impossible for anyone sensitive to bright lights. I did put in a feedback through the game about it but I never received a reply/response.

• Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed.

And for a game of this overall graphical quality, the design is cheap and nasty, more befitting of a 10 year old mobile phone game.

A proper re-design in keeping with the rest of the game would be appreciated :)
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gamplyr613 wrote: »
    Please tone down A LOT the flashes when opening and closing the scrying interface. They are MUCH too bright and VERY BAD for our eyes! I recommend anyone doing scrying to close their eyes for 3 seconds when opening the interface and when you finish doing the puzzle.

Someone who is also bothered by this, thank you for the post! This was one of my biggest complaints about antiquities, the light when scrying open/closes is far too bright. I've resorted to actually closing *and covering* my eyes every time I scried for something--when you're grinding the line especially it can get painful really fast. I wonder how something like this escaped their notice, I do hope they will adress it in the next patch.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Got to say that, along with the inexplicable randomly tilting interface, this is one element of scrying that is both utterly unnecessary and really painful.

Anyone with any experience of user interface design could tell you that bright flashing screens were a total no-no.

This is just terrible visual design.
  • Neriak
    Neriak
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have epilepsy and never thought about the issue of scrying window, BUT you're right 100%!
    I always closed my eyes not to see the flashes.. just instinctively.
    What I also hate about the process is when digging field (sometimes!) begins to rotate, I understand it's a game mechanics and such but that instantly gives me motion sickness. Not complaining about field shaking (that one is funny), but the rotation of the whole screen just makes me sick every time.

And when it comes to the scrying window design.. well it's an old Ayleid tech, the design is like thousands yrs old :/ seems legit.
    Energy powers future motion.
    Dynamic forces spur change.
    Nature encourages mutual dependence.
    Balanced systems stimulate civilization.

PC EU
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are these issues noticed across all platforms, or is one worse than the others?
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that there's no need for it to flash the way it does, but even so your computer screen or TV should not be able to produce lights so bright it hurts your eyes. If it's doing that you might need to adjust your settings.

A lot of screens these days are sold with the brightness and contrast ramped way, way up because (in conjuction with the images used to advertise them) it makes the display look brighter and "sharper" at first glance, but it's not good for extended use.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    I agree that there's no need for it to flash the way it does, but even so your computer screen or TV should not be able to produce lights so bright it hurts your eyes.

If you have light sensitivity or are prone to migraine, it still happens. I already have my screen settings rather dim, but flash effects can still be a bit... overwhelming. Maybe it's not even the brightness itself, but the contrast between the flash effect and the normal brightness.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZoS could be breaching health and safety regulations by not having a specific warning about this ?

It is such a pronounced flash and warrants urgent attention.

Edited by Rowjoh on July 14, 2020 7:45AM
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    Danikat wrote: »
    I agree that there's no need for it to flash the way it does, but even so your computer screen or TV should not be able to produce lights so bright it hurts your eyes.

If you have light sensitivity or are prone to migraine, it still happens. I already have my screen settings rather dim, but flash effects can still be a bit... overwhelming. Maybe it's not even the brightness itself, but the contrast between the flash effect and the normal brightness.

Dude, I’m not prone to migraines, but the flashing is full on unpleasant. Especially when you’re in Arteum trying to level the bloody skill and are scrying every 5 minutes or so. What might have seemed like a fun ‘zinger’ effect when used rarely is borderline eyesight damaging when you’re seeing it that regularly.

And the kicker is, there is absolutely no need for this effect whatsoever, it’s just bad game design.

And from a company who said they would take such issues ‘into account’ when designing their visuals.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FierceSam wrote: »
    Dude, I’m not prone to migraines, but the flashing is full on unpleasant.

I just wanted to point out that the flashing can trigger a migraine attack. If it's also harmful for people without migraine problems (which I don't know because I suffer from them often) - even worse.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    FierceSam wrote: »
    Dude, I’m not prone to migraines, but the flashing is full on unpleasant.

I just wanted to point out that the flashing can trigger a migraine attack. If it's also harmful for people without migraine problems (which I don't know because I suffer from them often) - even worse.

Agreed and a good point. And I’m in no way diminishing the pain of a migraine.

Just saying that these effects are unpleasant for everyone and should never have been implemented.

That they can contribute to migraines just compounds their badness.