The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

So excited! Homestead Character Pathing for the Housing Editor

Athyrium93
Athyrium93
✭✭✭✭
With update 27 we are getting Homestead Character Pathing for the Housing Editor! It was just announced with the Stonethorn preview!

Who else is super excited to make our homes look less empty?

Any cool ideas on what you are going to do with it?
  • Aptonoth
    Aptonoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly as a bit of a loner it means nothing to me personally. I guess if it works with my pets I wouldn't mind having them move about. If they sell house NPC's I might consider a chef and cleaner for one of my mansions my Xanmeer but for the most part my guy characters are usually loners.

Lake Xanmeer a house in the middle of a dangerous hot swamp, thieves oasis has a giant evil crypt next to it in a hot desert, and finally grand psijic villa an almost impossible to each place unless your a psijic. All my houses are hard to get to for your average mage/adventurer in hard to reach and obscure dangerous lands.
    Edited by Aptonoth on July 10, 2020 3:15AM
    Options
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm hoping for a nice variety in placeable npcs aswell! My Outlaw refuges need some outlaws :p
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
    Options
  • Buffy121
    Buffy121
    ✭✭✭
    It works with pets. I am very excited for the pathing feature and the extra people we will be able to place :)
    Options
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buffy121 wrote: »
    It works with pets. I am very excited for the pathing feature and the extra people we will be able to place :)

Where does it say extra people (or pets)?
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
    Options
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's not in the website article, but they mentioned it on the Twitch stream. I'll transcribe what Gina said:

"Coming in Update 27 are 'House Guests' A type of collectible character. They are all unique, they have different appearances. You can add it to your home, they are there to give more life to your home. Cause it's cool to have your assistants there, but your assistants want some friends too!"

I'm honestly faaar more excited for House Guests than Character Pathing, so it's strange that they didn't mention this in their article. :smiley: Sounds suuuper awesome!!! Are we finally going to get NPCs for our homes (guards, bards, mages, cooks, adventurers, etc)? Cause that's really great! Tons of threads have asked for more NPCs to put in our houses, and many other games already have this feature (e.g. SWTOR lets you hire dancers, mercenaries, scientists, force users to idle around your homes).

The only issue I foresee is the Collectible item limit... if the NPCs are 'special' collectibles, the system will be doomed from the start due to the punishing limit that already caps our mounts/assistants/pets. But I guess we will find out on the PTS on Monday, and find out how these are acquired (are they Crowns only?), how many there are (what different types of House Guests can we get?), and how many we can place in our homes.

But it sounds super exciting! :heart: Probably the best thing that happened to Housing since its launch.

Options
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Does it work for pets (or mounts) and assistants? And will there be animal furnishings you can place that have pathing? Those are my questions!
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
    Options
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bluebird wrote: »
    It's not in the website article, but they mentioned it on the Twitch stream. I'll transcribe what Gina said:

"Coming in Update 27 are 'House Guests' A type of collectible character. They are all unique, they have different appearances. You can add it to your home, they are there to give more life to your home. Cause it's cool to have your assistants there, but your assistants want some friends too!"

I'm honestly faaar more excited for House Guests than Character Pathing, so it's strange that they didn't mention this in their article. :smiley: Sounds suuuper awesome!!! Are we finally going to get NPCs for our homes (guards, bards, mages, cooks, adventurers, etc)? Cause that's really great! Tons of threads have asked for more NPCs to put in our houses, and many other games already have this feature (e.g. SWTOR lets you hire dancers, mercenaries, scientists, force users to idle around your homes).

The only issue I foresee is the Collectible item limit... if the NPCs are 'special' collectibles, the system will be doomed from the start due to the punishing limit that already caps our mounts/assistants/pets. But I guess we will find out on the PTS on Monday, and find out how these are acquired (are they Crowns only?), how many there are (what different types of House Guests can we get?), and how many we can place in our homes.

But it sounds super exciting! :heart: Probably the best thing that happened to Housing since its launch.

I've been complaining about the ridiculous Special Collection limit of 20 since housing began, and it's the number one reason I refuse to spend any more money on it. It would be adding insult to injury if they did it that way.

PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
    Options
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Does it work for pets (or mounts) and assistants? And will there be animal furnishings you can place that have pathing? Those are my questions!

Read the article - it says mounts, pets, assistants. I can only see using this for pets. I don't want my assistants wandering around, nor my mounts, who are usually stabled.

If these house guests cost crowns, then it's a no-go for me. But, if some can be earned in game or purchased for gold, then ok. Not spending 2k+ crowns (just guessing on price point here) to have some random NPC wander around.
    Options
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »

Read the article - it says mounts, pets, assistants. I can only see using this for pets. I don't want my assistants wandering around, nor my mounts, who are usually stabled.

If these house guests cost crowns, then it's a no-go for me. But, if some can be earned in game or purchased for gold, then ok. Not spending 2k+ crowns (just guessing on price point here) to have some random NPC wander around.

Yes, I've seen it since. Sorry, I was excited and commented too quickly. :D
    Options
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i just want my pets to be able to walk around.
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
    Options
  • Sir Tanks a lot
    Sir Tanks a lot
    ✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »

The pathing feature will work with pets, mounts and assistants so you may already have at least a few (to a few dozen even?) options to work with without having to spend any money at all.

bluebird wrote: »

But it sounds super exciting! :heart: Probably the best thing that happened to Housing since its launch

I am super excited too! I am personally even okay with the limit if that is the case. Adding life to our homes has been at the top of my most wanted features list for a long time. Plus being able to control where your guests or pets go throughout the home will give us more control over whether we want more busy areas or if we want to spread out the activity throughout the property. I can't wait!

Options
  • Mix
    Mix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an amazing upcoming feature! Finally get a more lively feel to some of our houses. I wonder if Pirharri will sneak everywhere!

Also, I can't wait to see these "House Guests" although maybe it isn't in Update 27/Stonethorn.

I was actually hoping we could nab our favourite npcs like Remains-Silent, Naryu, Raz, Kireth and Raynor Vanos, and on and on, but it sounds more like House Guest will be a character we create the look for otherwise they wouldn't be very unique...
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pray that Soul Shriven's can be used for this as well. My house staff would finally come alive. It would be huge.
    Though no mention of them yet. :(
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
    Options
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see this being a lot of fun.
    Options
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds interesting, but I'd rather be able to place an extra couple hundred items with the "data allowance" this update will be giving us.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
    Options
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i cant wait for this to release.
    Awesome
    Awesome
    i love this new thing.
    Options
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wonder if there will be an ability to save and mirror a pathing route, or tell one item to follow another.

Here's what I'm thinking.

I have Ezabi and Fezez sitting in one of my living rooms. Next to Fezez is that tiny ginger kitten from Summerset. I'd love to have Fezez wander around, and for the kitten to follow him.

(Ezabi strikes me as too dignified to have a kitten following her around. I think Fezez would love his little buddy.)
    Options
  • Athyrium93
    Athyrium93
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if there will be an ability to save and mirror a pathing route, or tell one item to follow another.

Here's what I'm thinking.

I have Ezabi and Fezez sitting in one of my living rooms. Next to Fezez is that tiny ginger kitten from Summerset. I'd love to have Fezez wander around, and for the kitten to follow him.

(Ezabi strikes me as too dignified to have a kitten following her around. I think Fezez would love his little buddy.)

That's a fantastic idea, Idk maybe they will give Ezabi a swat so she can bop the adorably annoying little scamp
    Options
  • Sturmfaenger
    Sturmfaenger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would be the logical next step to not only be able to tell NPCs where to walk but also emotes to do. But char routes is good now and the future is vast.^^ Looking forward to PTS and testing those new housing features.
    PC/EU
    Options
  • kaisernick
    kaisernick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »
    I pray that Soul Shriven's can be used for this as well. My house staff would finally come alive. It would be huge.

Oh yeah i didnt think of those guys, though tbh they normally in my homes are in cells or tourture devices XD
    Options
  • Athyrium93
    Athyrium93
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just want a Hawk non-combat pet now, so I can path it to swoop around and make my ranger fantasy real at least in my houses
    Options
  • playfull_kitten
    playfull_kitten
    ✭✭✭

Just use EHT to animate them.
    This one likes to play.....
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@playfull_kitten What is EHT? I am not familiar with short terms. :neutral:
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
    Options
  • playfull_kitten
    playfull_kitten
    ✭✭✭

Essential Housing Tools. It has a feature that can animate any furnishing item (so yes, including your soul shrivens) in any way you'll like. Here is the tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J--ZGh3GYkE&list=PLxkqemlv6asjxpAtzBLt4bPfV4H4jUtn4&index=4

Good luck!
    This one likes to play.....
    Options
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Essential Housing Tools. It has a feature that can animate any furnishing item (so yes, including your soul shrivens) in any way you'll like. Here is the tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J--ZGh3GYkE&list=PLxkqemlv6asjxpAtzBLt4bPfV4H4jUtn4&index=4

Good luck!

That looks....pretty bad. :#
    Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am going to have a cat chase a mouse and a dog chase the cat.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck!

But how would this work? Is this not like a cheat or hack?
    I do not see how this would work in an MMO. And when I use this, it remains this way? Other people can see that too?

This sounds way too good to be real.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
    Options
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I am going to have a cat chase a mouse and a dog chase the cat.

And the dog can be chased by a senche, which can be chased by a wolf mount!
    Options
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Houseguests
    Of course, pets, mounts, and assistants aren’t the only characters you might see walking around your friends’ homes! Houseguests are a new type of collectible character, which you can add to your home in the same way that you can add other collectibles. Each houseguest is unique and has a distinct appearance, perfect for adding a little bit of life to your home.

Several of these are currently available on the Crown Store for testing, with more to come in the future. These count towards the Special Collectible furnishing limit.

That's it. This thing is dead on arrival.
    PC NA, PC EU

Options