Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Start class for new PVP player

Feilaoban
Feilaoban
Soul Shriven
Hey there.
Normally, I only play PVE. But due to the current event, I think I got a little fixed on PVP in IC and Cyro. So I am thinking about creating a new char for PVP.
I just want to do IC and Cyro, mostly in a group (maybe a BG if the mood fits). My first PVE char was a healer, but for PVP I am looking for a DD. So basically I am asking for your suggestions about a beginner class I think. Not a fixed build, just ideas which class maybe easier in the beginning for a PVP newbee. I think I would prefer magicka (as I don't do well with stam in PVE^^). Is here a class which can be e.g. tanky to learn PVP and with adaption of the skills / setup do nice dmg later? Or ist it so with all classes and just depends on skills / setup?
During the event in IC I went there with my Magplar PVE DD (no CP) and lets just say I am good at dying :lol:
Edited by Feilaoban on July 6, 2020 11:30AM
  • Aeternum113
    Aeternum113
    ✭✭
    Hello dude, can't go wrong with Magsorc.
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MDK <3
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I strongly recommend a ranged class for new PvP players to learn positioning, and no-CP PvP or dueling. Magplar, Magsorc, and Mag warden are all good for this.

Magplar has the most playstyle options (melee, ranged, tanky, support) and great class skills, Magsorc has incredible combo power but can be hard to master, and Magden has great burst in Scorch, good passives, and good ultimates in bear or Sleet Storm
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went with the class I was most familiar with. I had to unlearn some PVE habits, but I think it was easier than jumping in with a new class. YMMV, some folks prefer to start with a clean slate.
  • paganslyer
    paganslyer
    ✭✭
    any class can be good at pvp. i dont think actually that there is "easiest class" as it depend on the player....Everyone fits a different class for their playstyle
    i recommend to learn deeply how the pvp work. and before go to open world pvp just play in duels a lot
    that will help you to learn how the pvp work....after u can Defeat enemies you have not succeeded before ...then go to IC and Cyro.
    for the start use builds from yt ....After that you will learn a bit about how everything works ...make your own builds
  • Fur_like_snow
    Fur_like_snow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really any class but mNB. Save that one till you have a lot more experience.
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MDK <3

Only if you have malacath..
  • Vietfox
    Vietfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Feilaoban wrote: »
    - I just want to do IC and Cyro, mostly in a group (maybe a BG if the mood fits).
    - I think I would prefer magicka.
    - Is there a class which can be e.g. tanky.

I guess magicka warden would be the best choice.
  • Spizzie
    Spizzie
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to play Magicka DD, you can't go wrong with Magicka Warden or Magpicka Templar in a group setting. Both do good AoE damage and provide strong group support without needing to spec into it. Templar will have more single target burst damage and burst healing while Warden will have more AoE damage and tankiness.

If you play MagDK, you'll have to accept that your role is debuffer/CC melee DPS. It's very difficult to be effective outside of melee range as a MagDK, but in melee range you're an absolute menace that can CC multiple opponents on cooldown and dictate the pace of the fight. It can be very rewarding but rather specific.

Sorc is fun as it's the most ranged-centric playstyle of the 6 Mag classes; you can do almost the entirety of your burst combo from 28 meters (everything but the stun, which is another gripe for another day) and it can create distance unlike any other class via Streak. Less useful in a group setting than Warden or Templar, but still powerful because of the pure delete potential.

Necromancer covers a lot of the things you're looking for as well, especially so if you want to focus more on an off-support DPS role. Spirit guardian, deaden pain and renewing undeath combined gives you a baseline level of tankiness while blastbones and boneyard provide decent AoE damage. It's very easy to build as tanky as you want on a Necromancer and you always have an awesome AoE damage ultimate in frozen colossus. It is extremely slow, probably the least mobile class in the game.

Magblade is hard. I wouldn't recommend starting with that.
  • Feilaoban
    Feilaoban
    Soul Shriven
    Hey. Thanky a lot for all of your replies :)
    I have a templer tank and a templer healer / dd, so I think I will start with a different class. So magicka necro or warden. As I like the style of wardens, I think thats the one I will try out. Thanks!
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka classes that are pretty easy to play in PvP:
    Magplar and magsorc - these 2 are always a solid choice. Strong heals make them more forgiving for new players. Both have great group utility skills.

Magicka classes that require some skill and experience:
    MagDK and Magwarden - both more tanky, but most of the time require staying on melee range which makes them more risky when it goes to group play.

Magkicka classes that require a lot of experience and currently are hardest to master:
    Magblade and magnecro. Both strugle with dealing damage beside of some cheesy mechanics (caluurion and zaan or synergy + harmony trait). Magnecro is a bit more tanky and has better healing, while magblade is a bit more mobile and most stealthy class in the game.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • biminirwb17_ESO
    biminirwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cyrodiil PVP is not about class or build, it is really about situational awareness. This only comes from playing the game and learning.

Line of sight is most useful, knowing when to cc or fear the guy running around a rock, seeing the ultimate dump group change direction etc etc

There is so much more to PVP, enjoy it.
  • DTStormfox
    DTStormfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would recommend Magicka Templar and Magicka Warden for beginners. I believe they offer the largest toolbox of active and passive abilities to deal with most situations in PvP.

To play Magicka Dragonknight, Magicka Necromancer, and Magicka Sorcerer effectively, you need discipline and enough experience in PvP to understand most mechanics and recognise high burst etc.

Magicka Nightblade is simply not in the best spot in the current patch for PvP.
    Edited by DTStormfox on July 7, 2020 10:00AM
    Only responds to constructive replies/mentions

Immortal-Legends Guild Master
    Veteran PvP player

• Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I was to begin playing eso today I’d go magsorc: easy class. Good for the morale cause it’s dead easy to score a lot of killing blows.
    Plus you are very mobile and have shields: not effected by the recent healing nerf
  • Stridig
    Stridig
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is what I recommend based on my experience:

1) Magplar - I played a Magplar early on in my PvP days. The healing kit was very helpful. In order for me to get better at PvP I had to stay alive long enough to understand the different scenarios encountered in Cyrodiil.

2) Magsorc - I played Magsorc for a while after I learned my way around Cyrodiil. They have great mobility and pretty strong shields. They are also great for stealing kills! Just wasn't my cup of tea.

3) MagDK - For me MagDK is the ultimate PvP experience. I am very tanky, have huge burst and generally a pain in the ass to 90% of the PvP population. MagDK has been the most rewarding for me to play. That being said, I feel like it would be far less rewarding for a new PvP player.

4) Stamplar- I love playing Stamplar but it was very difficult learning how to stay alive long enough to kill people. If you don't mind getting killed, Stamplar can be great fun. Once mastered, you will completely destroy people.

I have had great success with every class. The four I listed above have been my best PvP classes based on my own experience. I would say Magplar is the best beginner class. But once you learn how to PvP, have awareness of the situations you find yourself in coupled with lining up you burst, you will have fun and succeed with anything.
    Enemy to many
    Friend to all
  • Taunky
    Taunky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar is pretty great for beginners. Jab jab jab jab jab!
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    My top 3 easy classes:
    Magsorc
    Magplar
    Stamcro

Magplar especially you can do ok at level 10. You have most of what you need out of the box.
    Stamcro while not as easy out of the box clearly has a ton of potential. And imo magsorc doesnt really show its true colors till you get streak.
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Of the classes that I PvP with, I have given up on my templar for the time being. Squishier than it used to be. I'll second warden. Not great for duelling / finishing people off, but quite tanky and easy to play. Can have good raw damage, but lacks good combos. A bit slow, but good in groups. Tends to have a large focus on it's rotation, which may suit a PvEer.

As a magblade main, I'll add that that class is for solo play. Group utility is virtually non-existent. Grouping with magblades is difficult, because they cloak and don't take any aggro, hanging their partner(s) out to dry. That said, in larger groups they can fulfil scouting and forward camp-related roles (placing and destroying them).

Cloak is polarizing. You can avoid engagements completely, but once you do engage, the typical nightblade tends to be very squishy. I play what some consider an easy variation, e.g. one without Merciless nor Shadow Image, but with very high speed, Caluurion and Zaan. This is not that hard, but the problem with magblades is that they are currently quite weak, regardless of build. Nightblades are balanced on a knife edge. Give them too much attack power and they annihilate people. Give them too little and they don't put targets on the defensive enough, making them vulnerable to counter-arrack. The healing power that magblades had a long time ago to cope with such situations and stay on the attack isn't really there anymore.

It's all about movement. Speed is life on magblade, at least when you don't use Shadow Image. This works well enough for defense, until you run into people, mostly sorcs, who are experienced at fighting nightblades and who actively go after them with Streak and detection potions. While magblade often absolves you from having to worry about line-of-sight, this is where it suddenly becomes vital.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB