The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Mount Training

skooma_dealer
skooma_dealer
✭✭✭
Hey. I'm new to this game, loving it so far. Morrowind was (and still is) my favorite game, so playing through Morrowind chapter in ESO was a BLAST.
There are some strange decisions in monetization for a "b2p + sub" kind of game, but I'm honestly don't mind them. What I really don't understand and can't tolerate is mount training. This system is SO flawed and ***, I genuinely want to ask devs and players: is this a trolling of some sorts? I mean, there are CP points, which you can get instantly on your level 50 alts from your main character, there are account wide houses and other stuff you can call "alt friendly", but for some reason ZOS decided not to share mount exp between all characters. This is madness, considering how freaking awful mount leveling is timegated. It's beyond good and evil. I do not understand how this is yet a thing.

I understand that this is probably not the first topic about mounts, but I guess I need to vent somewhere. This is so depressing to see people running faster than my horse. And if I want to play another toon, I'm in trouble.
Edited by skooma_dealer on July 9, 2020 5:50AM
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Prepare for "it is what it is and you gotta deal with it" responses. But yeah, the system's really bad and unfriendly and I wish they changed it (although it's very unlikely). Still I got 7 alts with max horse stats and 2 near the max. I just remember to visit stable while doing my daily writs. But I'm not really an alt player, I barely have time to do stuff on my main. I have two year old alts that aren't even level 50 yet.

Edit: Writing's hard, m'kay?
    Edited by Michae on July 9, 2020 5:26AM
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • Hämähäkki
    Hämähäkki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's annoying thats true, but I believe this is implemented so the player has to log in every day to train his mount.

I am totally with you on the account wide part ;)
    TherealHämähäkki
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mount training was not designed for mobilization. The cash shop, as it is now, was not in the game until about a year after launch and even then the mount training came later.

It is a product of a simpler design. It used to be we had 50 upgrades (training) we could do to amount and if you had more than one mount you had to train each one individually. When they added the cash shop the made mount training character-based instead of mount-based which was an improvement.

While it was not designed for monetization, it obviously became a candidate for monetization. I doubt Zos will make mount training account-wide. We have a choice though, actually multiple choices.

BTW, roll some characters you are interested in ahead of time and start the training. That way you have a head start when you start playing that character.
  • Ekzorka
    Ekzorka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nerevarines don't ride mounts.
  • skooma_dealer
    skooma_dealer
    ✭✭✭
    Ekzorka wrote: »
    Nerevarines don't ride mounts.
    There are no Nerevarines in this game though.
  • Ekzorka
    Ekzorka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind was (and still is) my favorite game, so playing through Morrowind chapter in ESO was a BLAST.
    What I really don't understand and can't tolerate is mount training.
    You didn't get the joke, did you?

• LightningWitch
    LightningWitch
    ✭✭✭
    The idea behind this design is the characters you create are unique and individual, meaning each has to train their own mounts, just as they have to level up their own skills.

However, there was also a balance when it comes to leveling alts, because I can guarantee most of us would have hated having to level all our alts to 810 as we did with the first character.

To me, this is an acceptable trade-off. I'll gladly spend 180 days training a mount in exchange for hitting 810 instantly at 50 with any alt.

I don't like hunting for Skyshards either, but I do it, because the character, not the account, is whose gaining the levels.

If we make everything account wide, what would be the point of leveling.

• BRCOURTN
    BRCOURTN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in the beginning, characters didn't share level progression after 50 with VR rank. Im guessing they saw the potential with monetization in mount training and kept it.
  • Hämähäkki
    Hämähäkki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BRCOURTN wrote: »
    Back in the beginning, characters didn't share level progression after 50 with VR rank.

Ahhh the good old days :)

TherealHämähäkki
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ekzorka wrote: »
    Morrowind was (and still is) my favorite game, so playing through Morrowind chapter in ESO was a BLAST.
    What I really don't understand and can't tolerate is mount training.
    You didn't get the joke, did you?

Neither did I. Please to explain.
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand having to train each character's Mounts separately rather than it being account wide, but it would be nice if it was more streamlined. Being able to train your Mounts from the Mount section of the Collectibles menu would be nice so you don't have to mess with parking characters at a stable or something. It'd also be nice if you could do all three traits once per day instead of only one per day, because let's face it; Mount training doesn't need to be such a time sink when there are other bigger ones in the game, like crafting, lorebooks and skyshards, and skill line grinds. Time investment into Mount training is going to be the last thing that prevents a person from no longer playing the game.
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • SolidusPrime
    SolidusPrime
    ✭✭✭✭
    But if they did it the right way no one would be tempted to buy riding lessons from the crown store. Player enjoyment falls well below making money on the priority list these days unfortunately.
  • NavalOffisah
    NavalOffisah
    ✭✭✭
    The goal is to try and get you to open your wallet and skip the time gate. When I make a new character I park them at the stable and log in once a day to level the mount. Or if they are a character I do writs on I will hit the stable before completing the writs (Vivec City is good for that)
  • Darkenarlol
    Darkenarlol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i see no problem here

you just log in and train it for 250gold. full upgrade takes 6 months

you get a small bonus for your dedication

if you need speed just slot maneurs from alliance war skill line which is available at lv 10

after just speaking to tutorial npc in cyrodiil or participating in 1 BG match

mount training is not the only thing that takes dedication - before the introduction

of craft research scrolls it took more than 6 months to get a 9 trait crafter

btw in warframe there are unique untradable mods that you get

on 300 600 and 900 logins...yep it is almost 3 years of daily logging in
  • skooma_dealer
    skooma_dealer
    ✭✭✭
    i see no problem here

if you need speed just slot maneurs from alliance war skill line which is available at lv 10

mount training is not the only thing that takes dedication - before the introduction

Yeah, sure. Dedication is good, but you can't justify everything with it. I doubt someone would be happy, if ZOS will delete account wide CP from the game, leaving people face to face only with their "dedication".
    Some things MUST be baseline, otherwise it is a plain stupidity. There are so many ways to tune training system: make it account wide, or make mount speed at max from the beginning, or just remove time gate. But no.
    I wonder, why there is no walking speed? Imagine how it would be fun to level it. Why not? After all the only thing you need is DEDICATION (or real money).
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i see no problem here

Yeah, sure. Dedication is good, but you can't justify everything with it. I doubt someone would be happy, if ZOS will delete account wide CP from the game, leaving people face to face only with their "dedication".
    Some things MUST be baseline, otherwise it is a plain stupidity. There are so many ways to tune training system: make it account wide, or make mount speed at max from the beginning, or just remove time gate. But no.
    I wonder, why there is no walking speed? Imagine how it would be fun to level it. Why not? After all the only thing you need is DEDICATION (or real money).

They could probably lower the time gate by allow people to train each stat per day. But as others have pointed out, just accepting the AP reward from the daily login rewards on a character will give you enough AP to unlock Rapid Maneuvres, which will largely solve your speed issues (both walking AND riding).

And you don't think there is walking speed, but there is. You just work on it in a different way (by getting enough stam to sprint longer/using swift jewelry/farming the Ring of the Wild Hunt).

As for account-wide CP being deleted, since they are reworking the CP system, how do you know that's not going to happen eventually?

As someone who had leveled several characters into mid-to-max vet levels before they introduced the CP system, I've lost progress before.

Not to mention that I've always been above the CP cap since they introduced it, so my CP have always been at least 50% more expensive than they are for someone below the cap.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Daemons_Bane
    Daemons_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The idea behind this design is the characters you create are unique and individual, meaning each has to train their own mounts, just as they have to level up their own skills.

honestly, I think it is simpler than that.. I think it's to keep you logging in

• FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It’s another stupid own goal from ZOS which doubles down on penalising new players who find traversing the world on tedious Psiijic Order/antiquities questlines so much more unpleasant due to either not even having horses or having nags that make slow ponies look like 100m sprinters.

It’s the sort of thing that might have made sense in ye olde dayes of zone levelling when a player could realistically expect to spend the best part of a month incarcerated in each zone. But post-1 Tamriel it’s simply inexcusable (as are the offensively priced Crown Store riding ‘lessons’).

Best thing to do is get to Cyrodiil as soon as possible, do the tutorials, get the two skill lines and skill points and slot rapid manoeuvres asap

Then slog on for six months to get your character to a base level of riding.
  • xF1REFL1x
    xF1REFL1x
    ✭✭✭
    The skill line in assault or support that gives you riding speed if slotted is a big help... easy to acquire and you don't need to spend your hard earned cash on their silly upgrades. My guilds could care less if your mount is at full stats... just something to laugh at we someone gets knocked off.

My mount complaint lately is (and it is happening way to often) when you get dismounted and forced to pick up a torch bug or a crafting matte... all I wanted to do was jump over the 1ft high stream so I wouldnt be forced to dismount and swim in the kiddy pool.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BRCOURTN wrote: »
    Back in the beginning, characters didn't share level progression after 50 with VR rank. Im guessing they saw the potential with monetization in mount training and kept it.

Nah they made the change so players would be more willing to get new mounts. In the early days the training was linked to the mount so new mount meant starting over.
    makes sense for the training to be character based. Just because a horse can gallop that doesn't mean the rider can stay on top. If you can ride one horse you can ride most.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    i see no problem here

As for account-wide CP being deleted, since they are reworking the CP system, how do you know that's not going to happen eventually?

History tells us so. The history of vet ranks and CP make it clear. If they did make the new system character-based it would be far from the grind CP is now or vet ranks were making it not that big of a deal.
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Like many have said, at level 10 you can simply zone into the safe area in Cyrodiil and get a free 35% / 30 second speed buff, If you use the Fast Ride addon, you don't even need to waste a slot on the skill bar to use it. It is pretty much the first thing we advise new players in our guild to go do.

Now you can run/ride around all speedy and level your mount riding skills up at leisure.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of us wish it was better, and the best to hope for is being able to level all 3 at once. There was a delicious brief period of time where we could level all 3 the same time.

But, due to the crown store, it is probably not going to get better.

My advice, get the Horse Speed up to 20 or 30, get Rapids and if on PC, get the mod that swaps the skill for you. Then, use Alts for storage until you can level the various lines. Stamina can saved for last, especially with some recent Horse Stamina changes.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• skooma_dealer
    skooma_dealer
    ✭✭✭
    Kwoung wrote: »
    If you use the Fast Ride addon, you don't even need to waste a slot on the skill bar to use it.
    This is helpful, thank you (and others) very much. I do not have a slot for this skill, so Fast Ride really comes in handy. Didn't know there is an addon like this.
    Edited by skooma_dealer on July 9, 2020 8:14PM