The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Getting AP for Sieging

ol_BANK_lo
ol_BANK_lo
✭✭✭✭✭
Is there a reason why you don't get AP while sieging? It would seem to make sense. You get AP for doing damage to a player who dies. You get AP for healing a player. You get AP for fixing a keep door or wall. Fixing helps get you more AP so you can buy more repair kits. Why not do the same for people sieging. I look around and there are 30 people and 8 siege...mostly from the same few people. Some people literally don't want to spend their AP, figuring someone else will do it. Siege is expensive, especially the stuff that disappears regularly - like ballistas and catapults that get counter-sieged and oils when the other faction bum-rushes you. I don't understand why you don't get AP ticks like when you repairing a door or wall. Every single time you use a repair kit, you get AP. Doing damage should do the same. Perhaps more people would actually buy siege and siege would be maxed out more often at a keep.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you mean give AP for hitting a wall or door with your siege weapon, then that would be the next AP exploit. Get a huge gang and obliterate the keep walls and doors before finally walking in to take the flags. It would certainly start to clear out all those guild banks chock full of trebuchets if you could catch a campaign in Low Pop bonus.
    Or, if you fail to capture the keep, no biggie! You got AP for hitting the broad side of a barn.

The current AP model tries to reward useful action/objectives. Like capturing a location.
    Arguably DEFENDING a location is useful yet UNrewarding at the moment, but if it gave out AP, people might start turtling in keeps waiting to be attacked -- and I think ZOS may have thought of that stagnating the action.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on July 4, 2020 8:15AM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sieging is the prerequisite for getting the AP for capturing a keep (or possibly defending it), not a goal in of itself. You'll get your AP from player kills and from the objective itself.

Not broke, doesn't need fixing.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see it now. Bunch of people at remote keeps sieging until just above 50% and running off for free AP.
  • ol_BANK_lo
    ol_BANK_lo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm envisioning enough AP to make it worth it to just run around sieging stuff for the sake of AP. Just a little to offset, like repairing walls and doors...not even that much necessarily. But perhaps more people would buy siege instead of just a few willing to part with AP. 80% of the people trying to take a keep just stand around and watch. And I spend a ton on ballista, catapults, rams, oils, etc, many of which get destroyed with one use due to enemies or counter-siege.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    During Midyear Mayhem, I assume most people don't know what to do with siege. I mean, we're getting free siege from the reward boxes. Cost ain't the problem there.

Outside of Midyear Mayhem, I've always assumed that most people don't siege because they'd rather try to kill the enemy directly. At least, that's my explanation for why, when I set down extra siege weapons for my PUG fellows to use, they'd often rather skirmish uselessly around an unflagged keep than use free siege weapons to break down the door.

Once you PVP enough, the AP cost of siege is negligible. It's not a matter that most dedicated players can't afford siege weapons. Rather, they'd prefer to do something else, relying on the relative few players or the PVP guilds to break down the walls and doors so they can capture objectives.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just running around sieging keeps isn't really PvP, @ol_BANK_lo ... is it?

It sounds like an idea for PvE players to get their Rapids, Warhorn, and Vigor without ever having to participate in a battle or keep siege.
  • ol_BANK_lo
    ol_BANK_lo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just running around sieging keeps isn't really PvP, @ol_BANK_lo ... is it?

It sounds like an idea for PvE players to get their Rapids, Warhorn, and Vigor without ever having to participate in a battle or keep siege.

Ha! True statement. But they may like that. :) I don't know. Just frustrated with so few people actually buying siege and participating in that aspect. I still come out ahead, but I spend a lot on siege because few will.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ol_BANK_lo wrote: »
    80% of the people trying to take a keep just stand around and watch. And I spend a ton on ballista, catapults, rams, oils, etc, many of which get destroyed with one use due to enemies or counter-siege.

Sure some of them don't show up with siege stuff. But some of them are healing and watching for reinforcements coming from behind or trying to harass the defenders up top.

Typically very long range stuff like trebuchets and catapults don't get used because it spreads out the attack force. Sure it'd be nice to have a catapult or trebuchet from afar to attack defenders on top of the battlements but they'd have to be protected not just from enemy attack but countersiege.
    What I've seen is people using a ram and squeezing in ballistae around it under the single siege shield. Instead of spreading out into multiple attack forces that are less likely to survive any assault on their own.

Edited by Dusk_Coven on July 6, 2020 4:43PM
  • ol_BANK_lo
    ol_BANK_lo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    ol_BANK_lo wrote: »
    80% of the people trying to take a keep just stand around and watch. And I spend a ton on ballista, catapults, rams, oils, etc, many of which get destroyed with one use due to enemies or counter-siege.

Sure some of them don't show up with siege stuff. But some of them are healing and watching for reinforcements coming from behind or trying to harass the defenders up top.

Typically very long range stuff like trebuchets and catapults don't get used because it spreads out the attack force. Sure it'd be nice to have a catapult or trebuchet from afar to attack defenders on top of the battlements but they'd have to be protected not just from enemy attack but countersiege.
    What I've seen is people using a ram and squeezing in ballistae around it under the single siege shield. Instead of spreading out into multiple attack forces that are less likely to survive any assault on their own.

I'm familiar with other tactics some use. But I am well experienced in PVP, and I can assure you, the majority stand around and watch. If there is a zerg pushing a keep, and there are 13 siege out of 20 possible, not enough siege is being used. There are a few healers, there are some people keeping the enemy off, but most stand around. It's annoying. Maybe a few are new to PVP or are just getting Tier 1 on off-toons. But most are just lazy or figure someone else will do it.
  • LordOsiris
    LordOsiris
    ✭✭✭
    next question will be, I killed a mudcrab in Cyro, where are my ap? ... lol
    If you wanna know more about me, check first here: eso-database.com/en/user/LordOsiris
  • ol_BANK_lo
    ol_BANK_lo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LordOsiris wrote: »
    next question will be, I killed a mudcrab in Cyro, where are my ap? ... lol

Ummm, that is not even relevant to the conversation. Why bother commenting.