The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Looking for ideas for a solo PVP build.

LukosCreyden
LukosCreyden
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
As the title says, I am looking for advice on what would be a good class for solo PVP in CP Cyrodiil, but also BG's. I've been playing since console launch, but have never really gotten into PVP beyond a very casual level.
What class and spec would you guys and gals recommend? I am primarily a solo player, so something that can get by on its own would be preferable. Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • dominguero96
    dominguero96
    ✭✭✭
    Almost every class can solo in PVP with some exceptions (magicka necro). You will need to decide if you want a more frontal way, an in-and-out or killing by being boring (dk tanks).
    However in case you are 1vX you would need something that can manage the distance between the enemy and you / escape.

As for magicka, the easiest one is magsorc. Magblade used to be fun ganking but the combat direction of the game decided that a class made for ganking, the magicka version can't.

Stamina versions are easier as they can almost infinitely block dodge run... although stamdk, stamden and stamnecro are more in a tanking the damage while dealing a lot. If you want a solo aassassin, stamplars are really good even though the aesthestics might not look like. Or you can go with stamblade that is very popular.
  • West93
    West93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamden, stamcro, magsorc for CP pvp is safe choice.

Stamblade can work, especially ganking in IC if you like such playstyle.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say Sorc or NB, stam or mag.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For solo play, I'd choose nightblade or sorc, it's that simple. Nightblade for Cloak. Sorc for Streak. I don't believe nightblades do well in BGs. That leaves sorc. Magsorc is stronger and easier to play than stamsorc. By a process of elimination: Magsorc.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • LeifErickson
    LeifErickson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magsorc is probably your best bet. There was never a time in this game when magsorc wasn't top tier for solo pvp. Otherwise stamblade is a really good option or really any of the stam classes since they have more mobility for solo pvp. I think it would be best to pick a class that looks the most fun to you, though, as any class can solo pvp and any class can do bgs. If you are really truly solo (so no one from your alliance is to be found), I just really don't recommend magden or magcro as it will be more frustrating than fun.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Avoiding magden and magcro: Agreed. I'd go further than that. I wouldn't recommend templar anymore. Stamplar IMO always had a learning curve and needs to be played super aggressively or it will die. Magplar was good a few patches ago. With the healing nerfs, I think it actually struggles. While possibly decent for BGs, it was also never a solo class. It typically relied on Mist Form for soloing, but that is reportedly buggy right now and Race Against Time is IMO not comparable to Streak. It's a must have in many builds, but in terms of solo play it's not quite there. Templar is more of a group class.

Stam DK is kind of interesting, because I think it copes better than magplar with this patch. Not a fast or obvious solo class, but like you say, it's stam. I'm running my stam DK with the speed ring and Coward's Gear back bar and am happy to start soloing with that, however in reality there are usually players of my own faction around. A friend 1vXes on stam DK, going for more tankiness / healing, rather than speed, but you want to be experienced for that. Ultimately he bemoans the fact that he is not a stamcro, even as he loves his DK. One thing I think DK has going for it over stamcro / stamden is using Take Flight as both an opportunistic execute and a repositioning tool.

Stamden and stamcro are kind of similar to stam DK. Mag DK is something I'm unfamiliar with. The stamina variants of these classes are certainly tanky, but for solo play mobility is king.

Magden is kind of like a sorc with neither burst nor mobility or it's an ice control build. The first variant is inferior to sorc in solo play while the second is a group build.

Nightblades suffer in BGs due to being single target melee or partially melee, unless you want to play a sniper. They have difficuty in coping with AOE damage and difficulty scoring large numbers of assists quickly enough, due to being single target - unless you're really good. Magblades can be played purely ranged, but that tends to make them an inferior sorc. Your best and easiest bet on a nightblade is probably a stamblade sniper, good for both open world and BGs. I keep recommending it to people who want an easy entry into PvP, but there is quite a learning curve, if you want to progress to a more all-round build.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
  • Atherakhia
    Atherakhia
    ✭✭✭✭
    While Stam DK is strong, if you're starting out and simply looking for the 'best' I'm really not sure what, if anything, the Stam DK brings to the table that the Stam Necro doesn't but better. The DOT damage they bring is easily second rate compared to blast bones and then when you factor in they get major defile on top of it, there's no comparison. All the secondary utility the Stam DK has is duplicated in the Stam Necro for the most part. The Stam Necro has better heals. More mitigation. They'll both have more or less the exact same front bar set up.

The only real reason to pick Stam DK over Stam Necro is because you enjoy playing one more than the other IMO.
  • vivi_phoenix
    vivi_phoenix
    Soul Shriven
    For solo play at Cyrodiil, I would recommend Stamcro. It has excellent self heals and does mega damage yet still tanky enough to withstand damage. Magcro is best when in a group. I'd probably go with Nord race to make it even more tanky, but if you prefer dealing greater damage, Orc would be an excellent option for that. Good luck and have fun! :smile:
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Atherakhia wrote: »
    While Stam DK is strong, if you're starting out and simply looking for the 'best' I'm really not sure what, if anything, the Stam DK brings to the table that the Stam Necro doesn't but better. The DOT damage they bring is easily second rate compared to blast bones and then when you factor in they get major defile on top of it, there's no comparison. All the secondary utility the Stam DK has is duplicated in the Stam Necro for the most part. The Stam Necro has better heals. More mitigation. They'll both have more or less the exact same front bar set up.

The only real reason to pick Stam DK over Stam Necro is because you enjoy playing one more than the other IMO.
    Is this directed at me? Sorry, I was using stam DK as a stand-in for <generic stam class>, because it's the only one I play with any frequency. I have no doubt what you're saying is true, but I also believe that mobility and stealth are the key factors enabling solo play, not tankiness. What DK has, that stamden and stamcro don't, is the ability to leap across the battlefield to another target, thereby also extricating itself from it's current fight. This is only a very small advantage and of course any class can do the same with a gap closer, albeit they don't tend to eliminate a potentially dangerous target in the process. I was thinking of typical builds I see. Gap closers have become less common than when I started playing the game. You're right about one other thing: I like stam DK more than stamden (and I don't have access to necro), so I do have a bias that I'll readily admit to.
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am quite surprised to hear that Magplar isn't up there so much, but I suppose healing nerfs will make a difference. MagSorc does make sense as a strong choice and I already have a Sorc leveled, so I may give that a go. Thanks for the advice and info, everyone!
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am quite surprised to hear that Magplar isn't up there so much...
    This is my personal evaluation, but I see it reflected in at least one YouTube build by Isthereno1else. He is wearing both Pirate Skeleton and Pariah on magplar. Granted he is an experienced small-scaler who routinely fights outnumbered, therefore building tanky, but I've seen magplars tank out multiple attackers in IC on their squishy all damage builds in the past. It involved a lot of LoS, but still.

Adding to that is personal experience. The Pirate Skeleton nerf was partially reverted this patch. It was always a good set on templar, but wearing that alone doesn't work for me anymore. Too squishy. I also fought a magplar recently on my magsorc, a guy I know by name who has played that character for years and should be better than me, especially considering I hardly ever play magsorc and was really clumsy. We duelled for 2 minutes or so, then I killed him. This was on my simple mode sorc, without even having Frags slotted.
    Edited by fred4 on July 6, 2020 11:36AM
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mag sorc
    Magplar
    Stamcro
    Stamblade - stamsorc
    Stamplar
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris