Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

A way to greatly improve Cyrodiil performance

Gamplyr613
Gamplyr613
✭✭
Can we please have 2 new permanent campaigns (cp and no cp) with the rule that all players appear to be wearing their alliance's motif and riding the common brown horse? It could just show everyone as wearing heavy armor of their alliance. This would make a really huge improvement by taking out the tons of info the server and client have to send to each other about every player's appearance.
Edited by Gamplyr613 on July 3, 2020 4:21PM
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love this idea. 100 points for originality and another 100 points for an original solution for mitigating overhead; reminds me of when ZOS removed the deer and so forth from Cyrodiil.
    Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
  • bharathitman
    bharathitman
    ✭✭✭✭
    While it might improve the performance by a bit but then it removes the mmorpg things such as character customization from the game. Remember, without character customization and mounts this game will have no revenue, if pvp'ers cannot show off their mounts and styles then why even bother buying them in the first place? and what about people who have already spent money on cosmetics.

It might be a solution that works, but it's not a practical solution for ZoS
    Edited by bharathitman on July 13, 2020 8:52AM
  • Gamplyr613
    Gamplyr613
    ✭✭
    No one would be forced to play this type of campaign if they would rather show off their cosmetics as im proposing that they be in addition to the existing ones. It would be for people who care more about the game actually working properly or at least better than they care what their character looks like.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They sell cosmetics in the crown store. Even if optional, I doubt they want to do anything that reduces interest in that
  • Erris
    Erris
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great idea! Instead of having all sorts of flashy neon particles, performance would probably be a lot better if the game only had to render a few types of armor and one mount for everyone.

People who want to show off their gear can just go play a different campaign.
  • Greasytengu
    Greasytengu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erris wrote: »
    Sounds like a great idea! Instead of having all sorts of flashy neon particles, performance would probably be a lot better if the game only had to render a few types of armor and one mount for everyone.

People who want to show off their gear can just go play a different campaign.

I think Rift used to have a similar setting that would render everyone in a generic alliance colored uniform. From what I remember, it did help with performance during large scale PVP, though since it was a client side option it did nothing for server lag.
    " I nEeD HeAlInG!!! "
  • Icarus42
    Icarus42
    ✭✭✭
    Don't play anymore, that will fix it!
    Ebonheart Pact - PC NA - Magicka Sorcerer
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you might be overestimating the impact of graphics on server performance. All the server needs to do is send a small amount of data describing a character to the client, and then the client does all the work of mapping a dye/motif/slot code to an actual graphic. The server probably doesn't even need to update the information unless someone leaves the area and comes back or changes their armor.