Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Wouldn't mind playing Elder Scrolls Online instead of Loading Screens Online...

Uryel
Uryel
✭✭✭✭✭
I've been playing for 5 years now, and it seems to me that loading times and loading screens are only getting worse as time goes. Even though my rig as severely improved over the years, with more RAM, a faster CPU, SSD drives for both system and programs... Nothing cuts it.

So, nowadays, ESO be like :

- Launch game. This is actually pretty fast and you get to the loading screen in a matter of seconds.
- Enter credentials, then wait until the login server identifies you. Might take a while.
- Loading screen to the character selection.
- Pick a character, and then get "requesting character load". Might take over a full minute.
- Then, the actual loading screen. Usually takes well over a full minute.
- The world is loaded, and your ping is red. Wait a few more seconds for it to become normal.
- Move inside the zone you're in. Get random loading screens. Reglar zones seldom have them, Craglorn has them all the time, Cyrodiil is a monstrosity.
- Get to a teleporter. Loading screen.
- Want to change character ? Click "log out", then wait. May take up to a full minute. Or "your chazracter will be logged out in 10 seconds". Lies, the countdown will often freeze at 0 for a while before actual logout occurs.
- Loading sdcreen back to character selection, then rince and repeat the whole thing.

And with the current event, I've grudgingly returned to Cyrodiil. Basically, I go there once a year, for the event, and only for the tickets. Well, it's getting worse each year, isn't it ? Yesterday I had 10 freaking loading screens during the time it took me to go to a scouting area and back, and it was really not that far. Today only 1, apparently loading screens are worse in the north of the map...

Dear ZOS, how is your performance plan coming alone ? Getting to those database improvements yet ? I'm no IT expert (1), but I think you should have started with that. It's been almost a year since you started, and it had taken a year between acknowledging the issue and actually starting, so it's time we see results. You want me to spend money on your game, you might want to give me something worth spending on.

(1) I'm no IT expert anymore. Used to be systems and networks tech, some years ago, before I switched to a completely different field because I was fed up with corporate bosses never wanting to spend a dime on much needed improvements, even when doing nothing meant a risk of major data loss and whatnot. I guess some things never change. Starting an improvement process backward, by making things "smoother" on client rigs when the issue is obviously how poorly servers handle the load, bad bandwidth and extremely low database access... That's a telltale "we'll do it only if we absolutely must spend that money" behaviour.
Edited by Uryel on June 30, 2020 9:18AM
  • Jerkling
    Jerkling
    ✭✭✭✭
    Uryel wrote: »
    [...] That's a telltale "we'll do it only if we absolutely must spend that money" behaviour.
    What do you expect? As long as the majority of players are willing to put up with lousy performance, which they seem to be, nothing's going to change. Money talks... and right now it's saying "I'm ok with that".
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    no you got it all wrong :wink:

It's
    Elder LoadingScreens Online

:open_mouth:

Edited by Gythral on June 30, 2020 10:07AM
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • WySoSirius
    WySoSirius
    ✭✭✭✭
    June 29 2020 log into game
    June 05 2021 character loaded
    July 12 2045 finally finished first cyrodil daily

😂
  • YstradClud
    YstradClud
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind less then 300ms ping but I can always go play gogogogo WoW if I want that.
  • Ferrym4n
    Ferrym4n
    ✭✭✭
    Uryel, as a former Tech, is it possible that the game is being prepped for the new console, rather than the current? I ask because, at the time the road map of improvements were announced, and begun, surely they knew about the incoming console, and surely they would be implementing its running to that configuration? Just a layman's theory...
    Edited by Ferrym4n on June 30, 2020 11:36AM
  • Ectheliontnacil
    Ectheliontnacil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What I think ZOS is trying to do, is make the loading screens a more integral part of your gameplay.
    You can see how they've spent the past couple quarters investing more money into adding loading screen art to the game than into improving their server infrastructure.
    I for one think it's a brilliant move. The thrill of having loading screens pop up every couple seconds near Bruma and the exciting mini game of who-exits-the-loading-screen-first that enriches the experience of fighting another player are the only reasons I log in.
    I think this really is a step into the right direction and addresses many of the issues players have been complaining about.
    Now all that's left to do is increase the range of items offered in crown crates to include p2w weapons and achievements and I'll be 100% happy. :)
    [/sarcasm]
    Edited by Ectheliontnacil on June 30, 2020 1:48PM
  • Ferrym4n
    Ferrym4n
    ✭✭✭
    Need loads screens like Skyrim. Rotate the subject matter, move in, move out. Fun times.
  • gatekeeper13
    gatekeeper13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My last night pvp experience with my DC toon in Cyro.

1) Logged in.

2) Endless loading screen.

3) Character selection menu.

4) 30 secs to load character.

5) Endless loading screen.

6) Kicked from server the moment I approached the first battle.

7) Quit game.

Edited by gatekeeper13 on June 30, 2020 2:29PM
  • Varangian_af_Scaniae
    Are we talking about loading into zones or loading screen we we are traveling inside a zone?

Loading into a zone screen just hides a queue timer, I'm sure of it. The servers are at max capacity so it can take forever to get a spot to load into a zone. I recently got a new computer with a Gen3 NVMe and my load times are a lot longer today than when I started in 2018.
    Then there is the annoying loadscreens while one just rides around. Yesterday I traveled from Chalman Keep to Kingscrest Keep, not a player in sight... 7 loading screens. I did my scout mission then quit the PvP. It's not fun!
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The loading screens that randomly occur for no reason - and stop whatever action you were doing like running, fighting, etc, are particularly irritating. It seems to happen anytime in any zone or dungeon. I couldn't take ten steps doing a simple mats run in Craglorn a couple days ago without darn loading screens. Never had this problem until fairly recently (couple months, maybe?) but now it is rather a routine ocurrance.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are we talking about loading into zones or loading screen we we are traveling inside a zone?

Loading into a zone screen just hides a queue timer, I'm sure of it. The servers are at max capacity so it can take forever to get a spot to load into a zone. I recently got a new computer with a Gen3 NVMe and my load times are a lot longer today than when I started in 2018.
    Then there is the annoying loadscreens while one just rides around. Yesterday I traveled from Chalman Keep to Kingscrest Keep, not a player in sight... 7 loading screens. I did my scout mission then quit the PvP. It's not fun!

I don't think it's anything to do with a queue timer, I get fast loads into zones regardless of how popular they are and always have done apart from a handful of delays in 6 years. But I don't keep many quests active and I don't use add-ons at all, let alone the ones that require data to be loaded in whenever you change zones. I'm also not in any guilds so there's no data there that needs to be refreshed. I think loading times are usually whether in part or whole dependent on the amount of data that has to be loaded in. I do occasionally see a queue window flash instantly before my eyes when logging into the game, but I've never seen one when loading into a zone. Well-populated zones have multiple instances so there's no reason why any queuing should be needed.

Loading screens flashing up instantly while in the middle of a zone used to be fairly common in the early days in e.g. Vulkhel Guard and Daggerfall, but I hadn't seen one in ages until just the other day when it happened immediately outside Daggerfall. I have wondered in the past whether they're anything to do with multiple instances, i.e. you're flickering between them, but I never saw an explanation of them.
    Edited by Tandor on June 30, 2020 5:27PM
  • thesilverball_ESO
    thesilverball_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I've been playing since beta and I've noticed recently that there has been a significant increase in load screens in both PVP and PVE, and performance has been much worse. I'm not much of a PVP player but I feel for those in Cyrodil. Several times when I was in there PVP was virtually unplayable because of lag and load screens. Also new is being kicked from the game at random times during game play. That rarely happened in the past, at least for me, but now I see it a lot more. I'm not sure what the cause is but it would be nice if they were able to reduce these issues.
    Edited by thesilverball_ESO on July 1, 2020 4:07PM
  • Ryath_Waylander
    Ryath_Waylander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the last month, I have notice the "micro" loading screens are really excessive as you approach Bruma and the Northern areas of Cyrodiil. I have always experienced the odd loading screen in Cyro but this is ridiculous. Going from EP homebase to Dragonclaw and back gave me 9 or ten of them. It's so bad, if I see enemy NPC's in that area, or cliffs, I give them a wide berth so I don't get pulled into a fight and off my horse when it happens.

What's also new (and also on the Cyrodiil border) is Craglorn. Up by the Nirncrux mine I was trying to look at my inventory while stationary, and was being pulled into a micro loading screen every 20 seconds, Crazy.
  • Hans_58
    Hans_58
    ✭✭
    New maintenance and the loading times are worse than ever between zone's in can go and make a sandwich coffee eat and drink it and still be on the loading screen and that is for PTS castle Thorn?
  • Hans_58
    Hans_58
    ✭✭
    In the last month, I have notice the "micro" loading screens are really excessive as you approach Bruma and the Northern areas of Cyrodiil. I have always experienced the odd loading screen in Cyro but this is ridiculous. Going from EP homebase to Dragonclaw and back gave me 9 or ten of them. It's so bad, if I see enemy NPC's in that area, or cliffs, I give them a wide berth so I don't get pulled into a fight and off my horse when it happens.

What's also new (and also on the Cyrodiil border) is Craglorn. Up by the Nirncrux mine I was trying to look at my inventory while stationary, and was being pulled into a micro loading screen every 20 seconds, Crazy.

I have had loading screens in Cyrodiil every 5 seconds Especially when riding, its great when you want to escape something like ride screech ride screech DEATH
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    atm it
    Login screen online

Loadingscreen online would be a step forward...
    :disappointed:
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if i want to do dailies in Solitude and feed my horse i must go through 6 loading screens for every toon i got

this is why i moved all toons to other places

ffs who designed this? do you play your own game??
    Edited by method__01 on July 29, 2020 7:34PM
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

• BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least you guys can get through the loading screens. Try playing on the Mac client where loading screens can crash the entire system os.

It’s so fun to essentially restart the computer because the client was made in such a slipshod manner.
    Edited by BlueRaven on July 29, 2020 12:53PM