The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

A complete jungle of possibilities :S

madmax911
madmax911
As a new player this game is a bit of a mouthful. Especially when one gets mixed information.
I try and follow Alcast guides but when i ask guilds for gear crafting they say its not the right gear and some joke around about Alcast.
Then some swear to his builds or others say play what you like and so on and so on.....
Should i follow Alcast guides or should i ask in here or Discord or? :blush:
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you’re new just follow Alcast. He’s a meme to the end game community now days but still a great place to start for new players.
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There's truth behind all of the advice given to you. Since you're new, I would advice sticking to the one that feels right, then expanding from that as you figure out the game.
  • Kittytravel
    Kittytravel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a new player follow alcast; as you learn more about the "why" of his choices you'll be able to to branch out and make your own builds or you'll enjoy the game just fine by following his choices.

Either way it's a win-win.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For PVE Alcast builds are usually very relevant. For PVP there are ton of builds and I won't call Alcast build universally applicable, for me they look oriented for smallscale play in squad of friends.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cannot speak to what people in your guilds are saying since I do not know what they said or what sets are begin discussed. The context is missing. However, I can say Alcast's guilds are not bibles and are not intended to be. He does provide various choices in gear for people at various levels of access to the gear and that advice is very solid.

I can only imagine the people joking about Alcast's advice are not very understanding of the various levels of advice Alcast's provides and are merely commented on the very narrow perspective of their own game.

So in the end, like some others here, I would suggest starting with Alcast's guide then work to figure out what works best for you. Maybe find some entry-level raiding guild to run with to learn more. I have seen some fairly ignorant advice given in some social guilds.
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mix and match a few different guides myself, mostly between Dottz, alcast and Hack the Minotaur. I mix and match from
    Those three mainly but also experiment with some other skills along the way. You have to for certain skills anyway because they take pieces from mages, fighters, psijic and undaunted lines and some of those take a while to build up. Also many builds use skills that aren’t unlocked until you level those lines up quite a bit. This means a lot of patchwork when putting together a new build for a while. I’m doing it currently with a MagDK build where I need late skills from both psijic and mages guild but it’s gated content so it going to take a few weeks to fully unlock everything. I ran into the same thing on the magplar I have been playing and still don’t have all the lines And morphs unlocked that I need but I’ve got a fun build that works by piecing a few different components together. It still pushes 30K DPS without trial gear sets while wearing blue jewelry despite missing some of the skills the build calls for.

And there is my stamwarden, you will find pieces of this build on about 17 different guides! This is my main character but each ability I have slotted serves a purpose. It also has gear sets for PvE and PvP is my crafter, antiquarian, quester and my trail character. It’s not great at any one thing but a solid enough cog in the machine of any good group. I found stuff that works for me but I understand that I have to keep certain skills up that provide major brutality and major savagery to get the most out of this build. Every slotted skill has a place and has to be used in a certain order with minor variations. This is the build where I learned the reason why the guides build a certain way and also the build that helped me understand variations. One that started as an alcast, morphed into a Dottz and started taking pieces of other players plus advice of guild mates to turn into something that was fun and effective to play in a group or solo everything that isn’t a trial or veteran or DLC dungeon.

In other words the guides are simply that, just a guide. They are meant to be a resource for you to learn how to play ESO and once you see how the pieces fit together and how the moving parts of the build need to be timed and executed properly than it will really click for you. Getting to lv50 is step 1, gear cap (CP160) is step 2, and step 3 is getting to CP300 where you start unleashing the potential of some of these builds. Understanding CP is a whole other animal too, but fortunately for you ESO-skillbook.com also has a calculator for it. The generic one will get you close enough to the ballpark by entering your class and role and it takes jump points into account. It may not be optimized for the build but realistically we are talking a few % here and there from the generic calculator to some super optimized guide anyway. Losing maybe 1K DPS doesn’t change anything by that point anyway. That extra 1K lost doesn’t make or break a trial run, not understanding mechanics is almost always the problem there, but do t worry about that now.

So play whatever build looks interesting to you. Choose the skills that look interesting as well but research why the guides choose certain skills and see where your preferred skill can slot in for one the guide is using. Or maybe understand why the guide chose one skill of the other. Does it provide and extra buff? Is the cost cheaper? Is the cast time instant or is there a long time to channel the skill? Is one an AOE for the same cost and better for fighting mobs but still as effective on single target? That’s what you’ll learn from guides.

Anyhow best of luck. I hope you find a build that works for you and is still fun to play. Some of the builds out there though highly effective are mind numbing and boring others are overly contrived and complicated. It’s up to you to determine the sweet spot.
  • Athyrium93
    Athyrium93
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a fellow new-ish player I feel your pain. Personally I've had the most luck looking at guides and videos that explain why they use what they use and applying it to my build without following it exactly. For example elemental weapon, it looks great on paper but I just can't get used to weaving with it, so instead I slot solar barrage to get an empower buff and call it a day.
    I think your better off tailoring your build to how you play, because everyone likes/dislikes diffrent things
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's perfectly possible to grow up in this game and discover everything yourself. You progress gradually from overland questing to public dungeons to more advanced content. Trying different sets, builds, classes is a major part of the fun and has kept me going for a long time.

What's different is, if you're perhaps coming from another MMO or for whatever reason you want to jump straight into group content / guilds and progress quickly up the ladder. This isn't the greatest thing, if you ever intend to return to questing. The better you get, the more frightfully boring and meaningless you may subsequently find questing, because the combat is so easy.

Thus, unless your goal is strictly endgame, taking a build from an endgame player - this includes Alcast and probably every single YouTuber - is honestly not great. These are people who often work with a minimum of sustain, be it due to their playstyle or the group compositions they run in. Their builds will be effective for what they do, but that doesn't necessarily make them the most fun. They will be OP for overland content, while they may paradoxically be too squishy or lacking in sustain in the hands of a new player. If you are competitive and you simply want to reach the highest levels of endgame as quickly as possible, while not becoming stuck in some blind alley and developing bad habits, then fair enough. Learn all you can and go with someone else's build. The upside is that you'll probably learn about group-oriented skills in the process, especially if you are a tank or healer, and your guild will thank you for it. However, if you are more of a solo player or you're still in the questing phase of the game, there is no need for any of that.
    Edited by fred4 on July 1, 2020 9:56AM
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    It's perfectly possible to grow up in this game and discover everything yourself. You progress gradually from overland questing to public dungeons to more advanced content. Trying different sets, builds, classes is a major part of the fun and has kept me going for a long time.

What's different is, if you're perhaps coming from another MMO or for whatever reason you want to jump straight into group content / guilds and progress quickly up the ladder. This isn't the greatest thing, if you ever intend to return to questing. The better you get, the more frightfully boring and meaningless you may subsequently find questing, because the combat is so easy.

Thus, unless your goal is strictly endgame, taking a build from an endgame player - this includes Alcast and probably every single YouTuber - is honestly not great. These are people who often work with a minimum of sustain, be it due to their playstyle or the group compositions they run in. Their builds will be effective for what they do, but that doesn't necessarily make them the most fun. They will be OP for overland content, while they may paradoxically be too squishy or lacking in sustain in the hands of a new player. If you are competitive and you simply want to reach the highest levels of endgame as quickly as possible, while not becoming stuck in some blind alley and developing bad habits, then fair enough. Learn all you can and go with someone else's build. The upside is that you'll probably learn about group-oriented skills in the process, especially if you are a tank or healer, and your guild will thank you for it. However, if you are more of a solo player or you're still in the questing phase of the game, there is no need for any of that.

I’m going second this to add to what you said. Several of those builds are reliant on CP to put them over the edge. For example you will see Alcast has builds setting for CP300, CP600 and CP810. The CP300 boosts come in at around 9% stat increases for things that boost damage or sustain. There are also resistances that get a serious boost with 300CP as well that as a DPS you will need combined with gear, food and passives to even think about trying hard content because you will get 1 shot. That 1 or 2 pieces of heavy armor that you see on builds is important because you need the resistances from the passive skills in the heavy armor line even on magicka builds.

Also another thing to keep in mind, especially when watching parses and you see guys putting up 75K+ numbers. They are doing this often at full or near full CP in gold gear, often perfected. So you in your purple gear with maybe gold weapons will already be handcuffed in terms of damage output and sustain already. You’ll be lacking the raw power plus the critical multipliers that they don’t often explain or focus on in the videos. Chances are you won’t have the trial gear or monster gear yet either, but at least some setups give you alternative gear to use to work to farm that trial/monster gear that you need. With that in mind your base line of CP300 is alternate purple gear is going to have a much lower ceiling. You won’t be hitting 75K, but 30K is doable. 75K (could be 80k or 90k using 75 as an example) is pretty much a perfect rotation, which most of us can only aspire to, which goes out the window in most trails anyway because you’ll be adapting to mechanics along the way. So if you get to 30K it shouldn’t lock you out of any normal trail groups except scoreboard chasers. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t stop improving though because you’ll need to up it into at least the 40’s for vet trails where you’ll be carried somewhat so just don’t do anything dumb and listen to whoever is leading f the group!

But as a beginner you need to learn how things work still. Each class plays differently with some cross over and similarities in skills and weapon/armor choices. Keep in mind your base stats are still going up albeit very slightly up to CP300 as well. There is a reason why these builds have a baseline CP and that is way. CP300 is OP for anything overland on any build. It can also solo every public dungeon and even quite a few base game 4 man dungeons provided you pay attention to boss mechanics.

I’m CP420 working on my 3rd character myself while researching a 4th. The first was my learning experience, my second was designed for solo play on hard content, my 3rd and 4th are for trials. Eventually I will make a healer and a tank as well just to learn how those roles work. There is an endless set of things to do, but don’t let that discourage anyone from playing. But do know that most guides on the internet don’t explain things in enough detail. And coming from similar games may or may not help you with ESO, that all depends on how flexible you are to change. Still there is no substitute for your own hands on experience.