The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What is it essentially we the players do on this game?

Angor
Angor
Hello everybody on the forums my title sums it up, but I will give a little bit more information what i am talking about.
To explain this I will use a example within world of warcraft most of the time you will be grinding doing dungeons,raids,pvp over and over and over again...
Is this the same here?Do you just pick your class and race and go finish all the quests zones?
It would really help out if you could anwser this before i decide anything.

Best Answer

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on what you want to do. ESO has several "tiers" of content.

Overland Content: this consists of questing, justice system, delves, world bosses, public dungeons, various guild dailies, crafting, etc.

PVE Group Content: this consists of group dungeons, arenas, and trials. Normal level are suitable for players starting at level 10 and unlocking progressively as you level. Veteran level content is intended for players above level 50, unlocking progressively with more CP. DLC dungeons and Chapter Trials are harder than the base game ones.

PVP: there are three types of PVP in ESO besides dueling.
    Cyrodiil: geared towards large scale AvAvA PVP, you team up with members of your faction to capture and defend objectives in month-long campaigns
    Imperial City: AvAvA like Cyrodiil, but favors small-scale urban fighting. Feature the Tel Var currency, which you gather by killing NPCs or other players, but can lose half of it when you die.
    Battlegrounds: small-scale 4v4v4 game modes with random teammates

You can do all of those on the same character if you want or make multiple characters for different types of content. As a general rule of thumb, ZOS will encourage you to experience ALL the content in the game. For example, you might not enjoy PVP, but the upcoming Midyear Mayhem event requires going to the PVP zones if you want event tickets and rewards without having to buy them.

You can get different gear from each tier. The grindiest is the PVE group content gear because that its Bind on Pickup and thus non-tradeable outside of your group members. However, you can get viable alternative gear from overland content or crafting.

If you are new, I'd pick a character and enjoy yourself as you level. You really only get to be new once and there's plenty of time to experiment as you explore ESO!
    Answer ✓
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's up to you. There's lots of different content available but nothing you absolutely have to do, so you can choose to focus on the things which interest you most or do a bit of everything.

For example one player could power-level their character by finding grind spots in the open-world then focus exclusively on doing dungeons and trials. Another could level by doing open-world quests and then continue questing after level 50 and never enter a dungeon at all. A third could power-level to 10 and then go to Cyrodiil to play PvP and never touch PvE. A fourth player could focus entirely on crafting and only leave town to gather crafting materials. (And they could all trade equipment to get access to sets which aren't available from their preferred areas of the game.)

Or someone could play a bit of everything, going between modes either on the same character or on different ones depending on what they feel like doing. Which I suspect is what the majority of players do. The 4 hypotheticals above are just illustrating that it is possible to stick to just one area of the game if you want to.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is so much to do, that one could write a 3000 word essay at least, on "what players can do" in ESO.

I once read a thread by someone complaining, saying they were bored and leaving, cos they had done all the dungeons and trials and there was nothing else to do.

I gave a long long list of things any player could choose to engage with, beyond dungeons and trials. Also, if one is only interested in dungeons and trials, and you only gain enjoyment from doing them once, then ESO really isn't the game for you is it (not directed at the OP, just a general comment).
    Edited by Grianasteri on June 25, 2020 9:42AM
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is so much to do, that one could write a 3000 word essay at least, on "what players can do" in ESO.

I once read a thread by someone complaining, saying they were bored and leaving, cos they had done all the dungeons and trials and there was nothing else to do.

I gave a long long list of things any player could choose to engage with, beyond dungeons and trials. Also, if one is only interested in dungeons and trials, and you only gain enjoyment from doing them once, then ESO really isn't the game for you is it (not directed at the OP, just a general comment).

I've heard that attitude surprisingly often - players thinking once they've done all the dungeons once there's nothing to do until more dungeons are added. It always seems strange to me because I've never really thought of dungeons as a major part of an MMO. It's an option sure, if you're looking for something to do with just a few people, but I'm not sure where the idea comes from that they're the sole purpose of the entire game.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Nyteshade
    Nyteshade
    ✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    I'm not sure where the idea comes from that they're the sole purpose of the entire game.

Ya, back in old school MMO's and D&D and other older games, MUDS and such, dungeons often were the main focus of the game, where most of the good loot and gear was hidden, and took a LOT longer to get the drop you wanted. Taking months.

They were often by far the best grind spots for groups, and solo grinding barely existed, it took waaaay too long.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I've just always played them differently. My first MMO was Ultima Online, and I know it has dungeons but I think I only ever did 3 or 4. Me and my friends never really worried about getting the best possible gear or grinding, we were more focused on exploring, decorating houses and role-playing. Grinding was a new concept to me when I started 'modern' MMOs about a decade ago.

• AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As mentioned above this game is many things to many people.

I created an Elder Scrolls little wood elf back in 2009 who spent 4000 hours living her life in Cyrodiil (TES IV). As the province began to feel a bit small, she traveled time, geography and games to continue her adentures in the province of Skyrim (TES V). After another 4000 hours there, Skyrim began to feel a bit small as well. So a few years ago, she packed up again and moved to ESO, where she continues living her life and adventures, only with all of Tamriel to roam. After +8000 hours in ESO, she shows no signs of a need to move on again yet.

As a solo PvE character, she spends most of her time exploring, questing and adventuring. Though she enjoys soloing a select list of group dungeons, she equally enjoys simply riding her mare at a walk along the beautiful beaches of Auridon or down a hauntingly peaceful trail under the shade of Grahtwood's mighty graht oaks. She enjoys, fishing, searching for relics/treasure, writing her memoires, crafting things, killing world bosses, cooking, delve diving, decorating her home. . . .
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on June 29, 2020 7:12PM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Have fun.

I came to this epiphany over the weekend in Cyrodiil. For all the problems PvP has, (my biggest plague are these flash load screen that pop and halt my forward progress like I just ran into an invisible wall), I discovered I was still having fun.

Now everyone's fun is a little different, and I like to do a little of everything. A lot of stuff gets left undone as I move on, because you can do almost whatever you want in the order that suits you. Any grinding I do is to amass wealth in game, and I only do as much of that as I care to.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • deleted221106-002999
    deleted221106-002999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Angor wrote: »
    ....most of the time you will be grinding doing dungeons,raids,pvp over and over and over again...
    Is this the same here?Do you just pick your class and race and go finish all the quests zones?.....

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: see other posts.

• WastedJoker
    WastedJoker
    ✭✭✭
    Here's my routine (it changes slightly depending on when and how much time I have to play):

1. Always leave myself parked in Tideholm in Southern Elswyr to pick up the Dragonguard Chest when I first login.
    2. Pick up the Southern Elswyr dailies from Dirge Truptor and the big cat upstairs whose name I've forgotten.
    3. I then travel to Summerset to do my crafting dailies because the writ board and the crafting stations are right next to each other and the crafting daily quest hand-in location is just around the corner.
    4. I then go to the zone where I want to complete some achievements and pick up whatever dailies are there to pick up (currently Murkmire)
    5. Queue for whichever dungeon I'm farming while I do the dailies
    6. Get disappointed that nothing I want is dropping

Let me guess, someone stole your sweetroll!