Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Patching Overhaul

Jolipinator
Jolipinator
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
What is the Patching Overhaul?

The Patching Overhaul is a massive part of the Update 25 base-game patch (arriving February 24 for PC/Mac and March 10 for PlayStation®4 and Xbox One) that completely overhauls how the ESO game client is downloaded, patched, and stored on local hard drives.

What are the benefits of this update?

Once this update is complete, you will see major improvements to the game’s load time and the speed at which assets are loaded into the world.

Most notably, this change dramatically reduces the patch sizes for all future updates, and it results in a major reduction of space taken up by the client on your machine’s hard drive. Our console players will feel this improvement most strongly, and PC/Mac players also benefit from this change.

PS4 Update Sizes:
#26: 47.72GB
#24: 39.7GB
#23: 33GB
#22: 37.15GB

Xbox Update Sizes:
#26: 56.82GB
#24: 58.5GB
#23: 58.14GB
#22: 57.73 GB

I don't see a dramatic reduction anywhere.
PS5 EU.
  • smilingmaybe
    smilingmaybe
    ✭✭✭
    It's probably just server load, but I wonder if this plays into why I've had to force quit multiple times after the game freezes when zoning through a door over the past hour.
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You had 47gb?! I got 58gb on ps4
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Same. From my perspective the "Patching Overhaul" has had about the same impact as the past year's worth of "Performance Improvements"
    PS4NA
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What is the Patching Overhaul?

The Patching Overhaul is a massive part of the Update 25 base-game patch (arriving February 24 for PC/Mac and March 10 for PlayStation®4 and Xbox One) that completely overhauls how the ESO game client is downloaded, patched, and stored on local hard drives.

What are the benefits of this update?

Once this update is complete, you will see major improvements to the game’s load time and the speed at which assets are loaded into the world.

Most notably, this change dramatically reduces the patch sizes for all future updates, and it results in a major reduction of space taken up by the client on your machine’s hard drive. Our console players will feel this improvement most strongly, and PC/Mac players also benefit from this change.

PS4 Update Sizes:
    #26: 47.72GB
    #24: 39.7GB
    #23: 33GB
    #22: 37.15GB

Xbox Update Sizes:
    #26: 56.82GB
    #24: 58.5GB
    #23: 58.14GB
    #22: 57.73 GB

I don't see a dramatic reduction anywhere.
    Yeah, something's definitely not working correctly on console. The PC download was 6.64GB for Greymoor, and 42MB for last Wednesday's incremental patch.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When one game eats a fifth of my allowed download gigs a month.... it encourages me to solidify my notion that this’ll be the last year bothering with this game...
  • eKsDee
    eKsDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's probably just server load, but I wonder if this plays into why I've had to force quit multiple times after the game freezes when zoning through a door over the past hour.

That's... not how it works. Servers being heavily stressed has no impact on the size of patches. How stable the patch download is, sure, but not the size.
  • Vizikul
    Vizikul
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno What's up with this? We were promised smaller patch and update sizes but file sizes are still as large as before.
    Pugging. Pugging all the way to victory.
    Imperial Dragonknight --- male, stamina, heavy & medium armor, dual wield, one hand and shield, two handed.
    Breton Templar --- female, magicka, light armor, restoration staff.
    Redguard Warden --- female, stamina, medium armor, bow.
    Breton Sorcerer --- male, magicka, light armor, destruction staff.
    Imperial Templar --- male, stamina, medium armor, two handed.

Daggerfall Covenant loyalist
  • Miswar
    Miswar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    56gb on PS4. You guys still believing anything ZoS says.

Well reality check just dont.
  • Jolipinator
    Jolipinator
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I did, but I took these numbers from the official patch notes.
    PS5 EU.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    We were able to figure out why the console patch sizes were still fairly large for Update 26, even though we expected them to be smaller than previous updates. In short, there was an issue with how texture packages were ordered in the packfiles, causing the patcher to think files needed to be patched even though they didn’t change. We have a fix internally and are currently working out when and how to get this published. It may require us to roll out the fix over time, which would mean subsequent patches are still slightly larger than intended until it is fully resolved. We’ll keep everyone updated on what to expect.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • zergbase_ESO
    zergbase_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    We were able to figure out why the console patch sizes were still fairly large for Update 26, even though we expected them to be smaller than previous updates. In short, there was an issue with how texture packages were ordered in the packfiles, causing the patcher to think files needed to be patched even though they didn’t change. We have a fix internally and are currently working out when and how to get this published. It may require us to roll out the fix over time, which would mean subsequent patches are still slightly larger than intended until it is fully resolved. We’ll keep everyone updated on what to expect.

Aka expect no fixes and eat it. Same old mantra.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks so much for shedding some light on this, @ZOS_GinaBruno - it's much appreciated! Having only an elementary grasp of programming, I'm not going to pretend to know how challenging this is to sort out.
  • Aloha
    Aloha
    ✭✭✭

OMEGA***
  • Jarrods32
    Jarrods32
    ✭✭✭
    Instead of patch sizes being of concern can we get game fixes for the lag constant sync issues and over bad performance
    Oh and can we fix skills that dont work like umm idk syphon and blastbones
    Necro been out a while and this patch is worse than last syphon still totally broke
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Thanks for giving us some concrete details, it's really appreciated.
  • Aloha
    Aloha
    ✭✭✭
    Destai wrote: »

Thanks for giving us some concrete details, it's really appreciated.

Really 8)
  • Jolipinator
    Jolipinator
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Thanks for the info Gina. I hope it can be resolved sooner rather than later.
    PS5 EU.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Aka expect no fixes and eat it. Same old mantra.

This made me laugh to hard :D
  • PrimusNephilim
    PrimusNephilim
    ✭✭✭✭✭

in short, this DLC wasn't ready for release but Todd Howard said let it drop anyway
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Just to update, we're going to move forward with rolling out this fix over time. As previously mentioned, this means the next console incremental patch is going to be larger than usual (compared to other incremental patches) and anything remaining will be added to Update 27. After Update 27, you can expect console patch sizes to be smaller as part of the patching overhaul we did earlier this year.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up. :)
  • Jolipinator
    Jolipinator
    ✭✭✭✭✭