The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why do all the 7,8 and 9th trait craftable sets aren't even viable?

Somber97866
Somber97866
✭✭✭✭✭
I don't know of any sets endgame for one and just useful in general for eso gameplay. It's like julionos and hundings should've been 7,8 or 9th with deadric trickery and twice born star 6th
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is not always the case. When the 9th trait was added they also added TBS. TBS was a top-performing set for a long time until Zos made adjustments to the Mundus stones. I think Julionos also used to require more traits but they brought it in line with Hundings which makes sense, though I could be wrong about how many traits were originally required.

So granted, some of it does not make sense but some used to make sense. I do not think Zos should rework all that as it is not really worth the time and money to do so.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I started playing, Twice Born Star was BIS for certain builds. It's since fallen from importance. Pelinal's Aptitude is still good for certain types of hybrid builds. And New Moons Acolyte is a useful 9-trait set in the current meta.

I'm not convinced we need to change set difficulty to match the current meta, especially not when you would move crafted sets that are pretty viable like Julianos or Hunding's behind months of extra research time. I can't think of anyone who would benefit from such a change, except perhaps master crafters who want to get paid more since less people can craft it.
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of them are useful for PvP. That they don't rival trials sets for PvE seems to me intended to promote participation in Trials by PvE players otherwise only interested in 4 man content.
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are only seven 9-trait sets. And even though it's a big accomplishment to get to 9-trait crafting, it's not bound and cheap to make (except jewelry), so if it was best-in-slot, it would diminish the point of grinding gear.

New Moon Acolyte has been used in some endgame vet DLC trial builds like MagDK last patch, which is great. But it really is so easy to get.

In PvP, Eternal Hunt and New Moon Acolyte are used every now and then. Armor Master is still probly pretty good as a tanky light armor set, but I think it was nerfed somehow? Doesn't seem that bad Morkuldin is a strong proc set, but not as good as other ones. Nocturnal's Favor and Twice-Born Star could absolutely use some buffs.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Twice Born Star’s final nail in the coffin was when they changed the effect to only trigger if you popped a potion while in combat rather than proactively. This took it away from a lot of bombers or stealth builds that preferred to activate it before engaging to burst down an enemy.

Edit: Got my sets confused. Don't mind me.
    Edited by Feric51 on June 29, 2020 12:15PM
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »
    I think Twice Born Star’s final nail in the coffin was when they changed the effect to only trigger if you popped a potion while in combat rather than proactively. This took it away from a lot of bombers or stealth builds that preferred to activate it before engaging to burst down an enemy.

You mean Clever Alchemist, and its actually a very popular PvP set even right now. They have since buffed both the spd/wpd and the duration of the set.
    Heck with the 1 piece mythic items, its actually one of the better offensive sets that mesh well with those, since it can be 1 barred and has a good 4 piece bonus.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and adding to my previous comment, TBS is viable. Just not ideal in most situations is was once used for. Also as pointed out, CA is still a very useful set.

What is viable is often personal perception and just as frequently seems to be based on a narrow paradigm.
    Edited by idk on June 28, 2020 7:52PM
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »
    You mean Clever Alchemist, and its actually a very popular PvP set even right now. They have since buffed both the spd/wpd and the duration of the set.
    Heck with the 1 piece mythic items, its actually one of the better offensive sets that mesh well with those, since it can be 1 barred and has a good 4 piece bonus.

idk wrote: »
    Oh, and adding to my previous comment, TBS is viable. Just not ideal in most situations is was once used for. Also as pointed out, CA is still a very useful set.

What is viable is often personal perception and just as frequently seems to be based on a narrow paradigm.

Yep, completely got my sets mixed up. Also I don't PvP, and didn't realize that Clever Alchemist had made a comeback. As my edit states, don't mind me I'll go back under my PvE rock over here.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Somber97866
    Somber97866
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No but it takes so long to be able to make these sets ( unless you got the cash to spend) that by the time you can make them the sets you can farm in a fraction of the time are far superior
  • INM
    INM
    ✭✭✭✭
    For the same reason that not every trial set is viable. Also they can be traded and many players will craft it for the cost of resources.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don’t forget the other use of sets in master writs. Crafted sets get out-classed by dropped ones after a point, but writs are of course confined to crafted.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oof, this post is so outdated, my last comment still suggested using Pelinal's Aptitude for hybrid builds.