The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Magicka Templar in PvP - questions

EvilSculptor
Hello, in advance, I apologize for any mistake in writing, I hope the text is understandable.

I've been trying to learn something about PvP, making the game for myself and watching some builds in videos and in the internet. It's not working, I am constantly having the same problems, and I no longer know how to get around them. I'm a magicka templar.

I want to make it clear, that I have the perfect notion that there are players who are very OP and have been playing in PvP for a long time, obviously I am not crying because they kill me quickly, I just get frustrated because I have already spent tons of gold in different sets and tryed diverses skill combinations, and none worked even against "normal" players.
So my issues are:

1. I feel like my character is too slow, and run out of stamina so quickly, even if i'm in a group, almost every time, i'm the first to die.What can I do?

2. My sustain sucks, specially the stamina sustain. My stamina just brokes with two break free/ or roll dodge. Tryed to use a Ice staff to block, but didn't work, my stamina goes away anyway...

3. Why sometimes I got one shotted, but when I check the recap i've like, 4 or 5 skill from the same player? How it's possible, or it's just lag?

4. Sometimes I roll dodge, block, whatever, and block some attacks from a single player, then, when I feel like he's running out of resources, I attack, and when the players is almost dying, I use the execute skill, but the player doesn't die, but also doesn't heal himself. He just do like 2 skills and kill me, even if I block. What i'm doing wrong? Then some player arrives and kills him easily.

5. Tryed 5 pieces of heavy armor, because the healing is better. Not only do I die with ease, but I don’t even do any damage.
Tryed 5 pieces of light armor (bright-throat - that way I rarely run out of magicka), my damage increase a lot, but i died easily because of running out of stamina.
So I replaiced the other set for several set (can't remember which ones), but in the end, the "best" results I got was with shacklebreaker in light armor, and tryed 2 different monster sets, mighty chudan, to compensate the armor lost because of the light armor (Didn't work), and now i'm using earthgore (good healing, but i die anyway...). Was thinking to using potentates or something like that to mitigate the players damage, and replace the BT set for something that would give me more sustain, but i'm tired of spending gold in sets that doesn't work. Any opinion from magicka characters?

6. Skills... Every site I read they use almost the same skills. Some says that the skills are really good, and do good sustain and tanking, bla bla bla. Well, when I use them, I can't any difference.
For example, living darkness, cast it or not, it's useless because even if the enemy is 60% more slower and I heal a bit, they are faster than me, or use skills like streak of ambush, and I just got stunned and die.

7. why some people don't get stunned by anything? I use toppling charge and javelin (and i don't miss) and some are never stunned or off balance.
Me? Got stunned, off balance, fossilized, fear and every effect in a row.
Any tip for this? What can I explore to avoid so many stun effects?

I don't want you to give me a full build, I really wanted to try to understand what I'm doing wrong, what I haven't figured out yet, and if possible some tips for each point.

Thanks to all who respond.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You in full impenetrable gear? I know they give crit resist in battle spirit now but I still think it's the best bang for the buck.

Are you in CP or no CP? If you are in CP, you have to make sure you are allocated properly. in no CP, you are off meta if you are not joining the proc set meta.

Be over 20k HP in no CP. 25K in CP. Prismatic glyph big pieces. Run trifood maybe to keep plenty of stam. Gold out your weapons. Try to get around 10k penetration.

Magplar, make sure your armor buff and resource manager is always up. Use extended ritual liberally and before Honor The Dead or your heal will be as tiny as the hot tick. I was a proponent of living dark but the heals are really reduced. I like mist form better, even with race against time for in combat movement but 2 seconds root/snare immunity is not enough so you can replace roll dodging with mist form.

Just some generic advice. I'd recommend learning other classes over time an learn what they do to kill so you can see what they try to do, but sounds like this might be your first to learn. Just takes time.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh and watch for swirling around the feet if your target. Means they are CC immune from a potion or breaking free already.

Speaking of potions, the alliance spell power pots work well if you cant fit entropy for major sorcery on your bar.
  • EvilSculptor
    technohic wrote: »
    You in full impenetrable gear? I know they give crit resist in battle spirit now but I still think it's the best bang for the buck.

Are you in CP or no CP? If you are in CP, you have to make sure you are allocated properly. in no CP, you are off meta if you are not joining the proc set meta.

Be over 20k HP in no CP. 25K in CP. Prismatic glyph big pieces. Run trifood maybe to keep plenty of stam. Gold out your weapons. Try to get around 10k penetration.

Magplar, make sure your armor buff and resource manager is always up. Use extended ritual liberally and before Honor The Dead or your heal will be as tiny as the hot tick. I was a proponent of living dark but the heals are really reduced. I like mist form better, even with race against time for in combat movement but 2 seconds root/snare immunity is not enough so you can replace roll dodging with mist form.

Just some generic advice. I'd recommend learning other classes over time an learn what they do to kill so you can see what they try to do, but sounds like this might be your first to learn. Just takes time.

Thank you for all the advices, gonna try them! ^^

I'm in CP campaign. I've about 25k HP and 40k MN (because i'm using Purifying Bloody Mara to increase the MN pool with BT set) and only 13k Stam. Thought in the tri food, but that way, using BT it's useless and I should replace it, no?
    At the moment i'm wearing 2 pieces with well-fitted and the others with the impenetrable trait, because of my stamina sustain while running/roll dodge.

I'm not a vampire at the moment, but maybe I should give it a chance and see if is worth. Thanks!

What about my character being so slow? You've some recomendation? I thought to put the swift trait in all jewelry, but idk if it will be a dumb move or not.

• technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Youd use springloaded infusion I think it was with BTB. Its lower than other trifood but counts as a drink.

But I'd favored more spell damage than max stat on magplar
    Edited by technohic on June 28, 2020 2:08PM
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1. I feel like my character is too slow, and run out of stamina so quickly, even if i'm in a group, almost every time, i'm the first to die.What can I do?

Like the other poster, I strongly recommend tri-stat food for magicka. I use either Longfin Pasty or Bewitched Sugar Skulls (300g for 2-hour food is pretty cheap, but be aware it has a purely visual glitch that shrinks your resource bars).
    For speed, I would try to get Accelerate (from Psijic skill line), or use the Steed Stone (the Health Recovery is really nice, too).
    2. My sustain sucks, specially the stamina sustain. My stamina just brokes with two break free/ or roll dodge. Tryed to use a Ice staff to block, but didn't work, my stamina goes away anyway...

As I mentioned, I usually solve this with tri-stat food, and not over-dodging or sprinting too much.
    3. Why sometimes I got one shotted, but when I check the recap i've like, 4 or 5 skill from the same player? How it's possible, or it's just lag?

If you're in Cyrodiil, it's likely lag. But then again, if you hit someone with Snipe/Dark Flare, then another light attack, and a spammable or stun, they'll get hit by all 3 of those AND an enchant proc at the same time. So it is possible to land 3-4 death recap attacks at the same second.
    4. Sometimes I roll dodge, block, whatever, and block some attacks from a single player, then, when I feel like he's running out of resources, I attack, and when the players is almost dying, I use the execute skill, but the player doesn't die, but also doesn't heal himself. He just do like 2 skills and kill me, even if I block. What i'm doing wrong? Then some player arrives and kills him easily.

It could be your damage was low at that time, lag, or they had a damage shield up. Hard to say without watching it happen.
    5. Tryed 5 pieces of heavy armor, because the healing is better. Not only do I die with ease, but I don’t even do any damage.
    Tryed 5 pieces of light armor (bright-throat - that way I rarely run out of magicka), my damage increase a lot, but i died easily because of running out of stamina.
    So I replaiced the other set for several set (can't remember which ones), but in the end, the "best" results I got was with shacklebreaker in light armor, and tryed 2 different monster sets, mighty chudan, to compensate the armor lost because of the light armor (Didn't work), and now i'm using earthgore (good healing, but i die anyway...). Was thinking to using potentates or something like that to mitigate the players damage, and replace the BT set for something that would give me more sustain, but i'm tired of spending gold in sets that doesn't work. Any opinion from magicka characters?

Swift and Pariah are strong for magicka characters. I mostly play battlegrounds, so I can get away with glass cannon builds on magplar (New Moon Acolyte & War Maiden's), but Cyro is way more demanding. I believe a lot of players focus on having good Magicka Recovery and high Magicka/Spell Damage so that they can use spells to amplify their survivability in a way that also gives them damage if they line up all their skills at once, or wait for their ult to be ready. For magplars, this would be Crescent Sweep. I would stick with light armor.
    You also might want to try a ranged build. Dark Flare and Javelin can be hella potent, and playing melee has an even higher learning curve, and requires you to be tankier/1v2 more.
    6. Skills... Every site I read they use almost the same skills. Some says that the skills are really good, and do good sustain and tanking, bla bla bla. Well, when I use them, I can't any difference.
    For example, living darkness, cast it or not, it's useless because even if the enemy is 60% more slower and I heal a bit, they are faster than me, or use skills like streak of ambush, and I just got stunned and die.

What skills do you use in your current build? There's lots of different playstyles, but it can honestly take like dozens of deaths to get used to a skill set up in my experience, so sometimes it's worth sticking with a skill setup until becomes muscle memory.
    7. why some people don't get stunned by anything? I use toppling charge and javelin (and i don't miss) and some are never stunned or off balance.
    Me? Got stunned, off balance, fossilized, fear and every effect in a row.
    Any tip for this? What can I explore to avoid so many stun effects?

Like the other responder said, if ur in Cyro, they're probably using potions or skills to avoid stuns, or blocking reflexively. Stun cooldown is 8 seconds on a player, so they might be just waiting until the right time to stun you.

There's a steep learning curve to PvP, especially in Cyro, so hang in there! Try some battlegrounds or duels. I think duels are the best way to learn PvP.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner