The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Color blindness and Nameplates

Thogard
Thogard
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
The recent changes for color blindness were great and I really appreciate ZOS working to help out people with visibility problems. I hope it's not too much to ask that they go one step further :)

My guild knows I'm color blind because of how horribly wrong I get people's names in PvP when I'm calling out targets. As far as I know, there is no way through the nameplates system to change the color (or size or outline) of anyone's names in the game.

This can be very frustrating for me when someone calls a target and I have to try to deduce who the target is by seeing who everyone is attacking rather than the name of the enemy...

And the names I come up with when I'm calling targets are hilariously wrong lol. I've started just using nicknames for enemies, most of which are extremely innappropriate.

Really just a white outline around the names would be great. Something to give them some contrast. Hopefully with ally names as well as enemy names - i actually have a tougher time with PvP ally / groupmate names because of the shade of blue / green / grey / whatever it is being such an infamously difficult color for color blind people to see... but its easier to cope with not reading groupmate names because of the group window.

Just a request :)
PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Syrani
    Syrani
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am not colorblind, but I also have a hard time reading those tiny nameplates. My eyesight is horrible, and I am to the point where I really need bifocals, and would LOVE to at least be able to make them bigger. Being able to change the color, add a background to the nameplate bar, etc, would also go a long way to help. I hope they add something like that in.
  • zeroIndex
    zeroIndex
    ✭✭
    As a colorblind person, I appreciate the changes and think its a great step in the right direction. That being said, I was hoping for something that also changes colors of other things as well. I was hoping they would have set an option that would change colors of items, alliance colors, nameplates, etc... Those kind of colors could be a static option depending on the type of colorblind. This is a great step in the right direction as the red on the ground was very annoying and impacted play in a negative way. I hope they are continuing the walk down the path of different sighted people.
  • CavalryPK
    CavalryPK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not colorblind, but I also have a hard time reading those tiny nameplates. I have perfect vision.
    THE CAVELRY HAS ARRIVED! Cav is a professional magblade, (in his not so professional opinion). He is immortal and is fighting for the Pact since 2E 572, amidst the turmoil of the Second Akaviri Invasion. He protects the provinces of Skyrim, Morrowind and Black Marsh.

Check out his PVP YouTube channel !

https://youtube.com/TheCavalryPK
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CavalryPK wrote: »
    I am not colorblind, but I also have a hard time reading those tiny nameplates. I have perfect vision.

That's a good add, thank you cavalry. Or as I refer to you in BGs because I can't read the damn name plates, "calamari OK"
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

• Saturn
    Saturn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zeroIndex wrote: »
    As a colourblind person, I appreciate the changes and think its a great step in the right direction. That being said, I was hoping for something that also changes colours of other things as well. I was hoping they would have set an option that would change colours of items, alliance colours, nameplates, etc... Those kind of colours could be a static option depending on the type of colourblind. This is a great step in the right direction as the red on the ground was very annoying and impacted play in a negative way. I hope they are continuing the walk down the path of different sighted people.

The thing about this change is that it was never mentioned as a change to help colour-blindness:
    • Gameplay
      • We’ve added a setting - Combat Cues - in the Gameplay menu that will allow you to control the colour and brightness of Friendly and Hostile combat cues. Enjoy!
    Source.

Also, the fact that so many things are still not friendly to colour-blind people, as you mention too, items / alliance badges / nameplates / and so on, leads me to believe that they probably completely disregarded this issue until more people complained about it, i.e. not only colour-blind folk. I'm not colour-blind, but I too have a freaking hard time reading nameplates and seeing ground aoes (before the change), so I can imagine what a nightmare it must be.

I think it's kind of sad that ESO still doesn't have proper colour-blind support, since literally every other MMO on the market seems to, and honestly it speaks volumes that it took them 3½ years before they made one change that actually alleviates the problem somewhat, maybe if we wait 3 more years, they'll fix the rest of the problems..
    Edited by Saturn on August 31, 2017 9:23PM
    "Madness is a bitter mercy, perhaps, but a mercy nonetheless."

Fire and Ice
  • zeroIndex
    zeroIndex
    ✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »

The thing about this change is that it was never mentioned as a change to help colour-blindness:

You're right. How dare I assume it was a change for the colorblind.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because the devs literally said it was a change to help colorblind people.

• adeptusminor
    adeptusminor
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not colorblind, but I too have problems seeing nameplates and options to make them stand out more would be appreciated!
  • CMFan1966
    CMFan1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syrani wrote: »
    I am not colorblind, but I also have a hard time reading those tiny nameplates. My eyesight is horrible, and I am to the point where I really need bifocals, and would LOVE to at least be able to make them bigger. Being able to change the color, add a background to the nameplate bar, etc, would also go a long way to help. I hope they add something like that in.

Let me offer you one small piece of advice if you go for the bifocals.....you might want to consider getting a pair of 'computer glasses' to go along with the bifocals. I noticed that I was constantly facing the ceiling trying to see out of the bottom part of my glasses. The bifocals were causing all sorts of problems while working and gaming like neck pain and headaches from trying to be in unnatural positions. Having the single vision lenses make seeing what is on the screen much easier.
  • Saturn
    Saturn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »

Because the devs literally said it was a change to help colorblind people.

Think he was sarcastically responding to my message, but also, could you please source where they say that? Because I haven't actually seen them say that anywhere, and if this was legitimately a change to help colour-blind people then it's half-assed for sure.
    "Madness is a bitter mercy, perhaps, but a mercy nonetheless."

Fire and Ice
  • CavalryPK
    CavalryPK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »

That's a good add, thank you cavalry. Or as I refer to you in BGs because I can't read the damn name plates, "calamari OK"

Hehehehehehehe
    THE CAVELRY HAS ARRIVED! Cav is a professional magblade, (in his not so professional opinion). He is immortal and is fighting for the Pact since 2E 572, amidst the turmoil of the Second Akaviri Invasion. He protects the provinces of Skyrim, Morrowind and Black Marsh.

• CavalryPK
    CavalryPK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno , please make nameplates customizable. change color, size and font maybe.

Thanks,

• mrbum1234b16_ESO
    NamePlater this addon can change nameplate sizes but currently no way to change colours
  • Reistr_the_Unbroken
    Reistr_the_Unbroken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NamePlater this addon can change nameplate sizes but currently no way to change colours

But console peeps are still screwed
  • MaLTRaiN
    MaLTRaiN
    ✭✭✭
    I am not colorblind, but I also have a hard time reading those tiny nameplates.

Same here... it's a disgrace the devs couldn't fix something as minimal as this...