Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Self sustaining tanks?

One_ofMany
One_ofMany
✭✭✭
I've seen some true gods in Pugs. Everyone wipes but the Tank keeps going. Staying alive for multiple minutes and rezzing the entire rest of the group. What class are these gods?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any class can tank, but the most likely candidates are Dragonknights and wardens. Staying alive and rezzing the group has more to do with build, situational awareness, and knowledge of the fight than it does class.

In the future, if you don't want to just ask them, open up your group menu and look at the class symbol next to their character name.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any class can tank, but the most likely candidates are Dragonknights and wardens. Staying alive and rezzing the group has more to do with build, situational awareness, and knowledge of the fight than it does class.

In the future, if you don't want to just ask them, open up your group menu and look at the class symbol next to their character name.

The player skill and knowledge of the fight you mention play more of a role than the class, as you are probably aware.

As a healer in a vet dungeon, I had an entire group die in a fight to mechanics they did not avoid/block to survive. I was the only one alive and restricted the entire group. I did not die because I knew the fight and was observant of the mechanics which helped me time the res. Technically, I resed two. The first dps took care of the second.

In the same token, I have had DK tanks die trying to res because they did not pay attention to the mechanics.

• dhboy123
    dhboy123
    ✭✭✭✭
    DK nord tank here, pretty easy to stay alive in PUGS while running Vigor and igneous shields on my main bar, got to remember most public and veteran dungeons can be run solo if your build is correct and also a tank is meant to survive if he does his job right :smile:
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

The player skill and knowledge of the fight you mention play more of a role than the class, as you are probably aware.

As a healer in a vet dungeon, I had an entire group die in a fight to mechanics they did not avoid/block to survive. I was the only one alive and restricted the entire group. I did not die because I knew the fight and was observant of the mechanics which helped me time the res. Technically, I resed two. The first dps took care of the second.

In the same token, I have had DK tanks die trying to res because they did not pay attention to the mechanics.

Yep, class is no guarantor of competence. But as a general rule, I see more DK and Warden tanks than anything else, so without more details, that's my best guess as to their class. :smile:
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, class is no guarantor of competence. But as a general rule, I see more DK and Warden tanks than anything else, so without more details, that's my best guess as to their class. :smile:

Tbh I pug a lot of dlc and while many tanks are dk, I wouldn't say warden are more dominant than sorcs NB nor necro (I think necro is the most I see after dk tbh) Templar tanks though are minority.

Templar tanks are... Eh. Idk. I just leveled up one and for the first time in a loooong while I am burnt out on tanking :D
  • HalvarIronfist
    HalvarIronfist
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nord DK tank main, and yes I've been "one of those tanks"

Really.. If your tank is running more selfish sets, has high situational awareness/knowledge of mechs. Then a lot of content is pretty easy to fall asleep through as a tank. (I wish i was joking.)

I've once fallen asleep in NCR +2 as a DK main tank, and woke up to groupmates screaming that I needed to die.. and realized I was still alive (somehow) as the last member of the group.

• mobicera
    mobicera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has nothing to do with class at all.
    It probably has little to do with gear either, good tanks do not run selfish gear.
    Any decent tank can survive for quite a while without any external support.
    Getting res, timing everything really has more to do with knowledge of the instance and game.

• Mr_Wolfe
    Mr_Wolfe
    ✭✭✭
    Like others have said, it really depends more on the tank's skill and familiarity with the content than their class. Though I will say that Necromancer tanks have a unique capacity to avoid wipes thanks to their Reanimate ultimate.

Nothing like having everybody down but the tank and then watching them drop that and instantly res the whole group.
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just for the record...

The tank standing there unkillable on top of the corpses of his team mate is not what successful tanking looks like.

Just saying to be careful what you want to imitate.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well typically your good tonks will be a DK or a Warden. Though I also have a great Necromancer tonk, and I know that Nightblade, Templar and Sorc tonks are also viable when done right.

It is very important to note that it is not just the class that is enabling that kind of game play. Its the whole build, the sets and skills selected etc. But also the players ability, using the right skills at the right time and avoiding damage and mechanics.

There are few more satisfying aspects of ESO, than tonking your group back from the brink, resurrecting all 3 of your team to continue, often multiple times. It is intensely satisfying and one of the very reasons I sometimes tonk. Particularly sexy in this respect... Necromancer ulti rez… My necro tonk is probably my favorite to play, though he isn't actually as effective at tonking as my Warden or DK, I built him more as an "off tonk".