The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

(Greymoor Main Quest Spoilers) A Very Minor Problem, and a Suggestion to Improve It

Vilahelm
Vilahelm
✭✭✭
Firstly, I want to say that I liked Greymoor's questline. I particularly loved the side quests (Narsis Dren's quest had me laughing the whole way through). However, Greymoor's main questline is far from my favourite. I don't think it was bad, but there were some very minor, perhaps pedantic things, that I personally felt took away from the story. While I realise it its too late to change the story, I write this in the hope that there will be more consideration for future expansions.

The character I have feedback for is Princess Svana. I don't have any criticism of her overall personality or anything. I actually find her quite interesting, a rebellious princess who doesn't care for her title, who has to end up stepping up to save her people.

However, there's one story decision that really confused me. And that was the decision to send her to Blackreach to investigate the camp. This was incredibly odd. Blackreach is described constantly in the questline as being a very dangerous place. Svana, after all, is the Princess and future of Solitude. On top of that, out of the three characters you have to help, Lyris and Fennorian, she has explored it the least. I feel that the more sensible move would be to send Lyris to Blackreach and have Svana up in Western Skyrim, since she grew up there and would know the land far better. Or at the very least, have one of the characters question the decision.

This leads me to my second bit of feedback about Svana, this one I think is fixable. Currently, throughout the entirety of the questline, Princess Svana wears the same clothes. That to me was also strange. Svana clearly knows how to fight and also has the gold, surely she would change into some armour before she went out fighting. Visually, I think in future expansions, it would be great to have characters be more dynamic in their choice of attire. It's little details that really make Elder Scrolls games great in my opinion, but I feel that some of those details were missing here.

Again, these points are very pedantic and I'm not sure if anyone else noticed or took issue with it. They're not game breaking either. But I think it's just those tiny details that really count. Other than that, I am enjoying the rest of Greymoor, and I adore the Antiquities system! Can't wait to see more of that.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought the exact same thing at that part with the three camps. Literally said out loud to myself, "Why is the Princess of all people going underground by herself?"

And the outfit changing would have been nice too. She should even have a suit of ceremonial Armor lying around, being royal family and all.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    I thought the exact same thing at that part with the three camps. Literally said out loud to myself, "Why is the Princess of all people going underground by herself?"

And the outfit changing would have been nice too. She should even have a suit of ceremonial Armor lying around, being royal family and all.

YESS I was like UM?? Of all of our allies, we're picking YOU to go Blackreach? They hadn't established her as having ANY skills - not sneaky (which could make sense), not combat prowess (though maybe it hadn't come up before), no particular familiarity with the terrain. But then she shows up in mysterious, dangeous Blackreach in like a tunic and capris? Like ... there's undead BEARS down there and you're not worried about getting tetanus? I mean, tbf my character was in Mazzatun light chest armor lol so. Not that safe from vampire cooties, either

And afterwards, if you talk to Lyris, she's like "Ree why did we send Svana down to the death hole caves! We should protect her!" like idk you tell me ...

PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought this was a weird choice as well, but for some reason if you pick the quest up from Melina Cassel in Dusktown, Svana has some extra dialogue if you speak to her after the decision is made which makes it sound like she volunteered for it:
    "Blackreach. To think such a dark and dangerous place has always existed right beneath our feet...

I want to see it for myself. And I want to determine what the Gray Host is planning. You'll meet me there, though, right? I... could use the help."

I didn't get that dialogue after picking the quest up the usual way for some reason and it's easy to miss because you're not directed to speak to Svana at that point. I think a scene where she insisted on seeing Blackreach out loud to the group would have made this make a bit more sense.
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."