The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Communication on performance by ZOS

Soul_Demon
Soul_Demon
✭✭✭✭✭
"This month, the team has continued work on changes scheduled for Update 26 and the Greymoor Chapter, including server and client optimization work and combat ability improvements. Please note that while we are making progress on identifying the cause(s) of the ability desyncs/lag and have ruled out a few things, the investigation is ongoing and remains one of our top priorities."

First, appreciate the bit of acknowledgement that you see issues and are working on them- at least in my case there are a large number of us who were getting quite close to the delete button after 6 years without knowing if the community was being heard or if there was any resources being directed to resolve the issues. Discussion last night in TS was lengthy but also brought up one very important fact I think needs to be communicated to the ZOS PvP team directly and I can think of no better way to do that other than here.

When the update/patch was released....Combat was snappy and amazing. In fact it was the best I have experienced in many years in game. But- you crashed out of the game every five min...on the upside you logged right back in to where you crashed and even that was fast. We laughed about that for a second and then realized maybe you don't know that. I mean everything about the game was amazing with regard to combat--- BUT you crashed out every five min. Not quite sure if that helps you focus efforts but somehow it seems if you know crashing was the single issue in game after patch and all other performance was amazing, you could more easily focus on that rather than chasing 1000 rabbits down holes.....and it was. I dont know if this helps you troubleshoot but wanted to be sure someone communicated to you how well all other aspects of the game were working during that time-- with the only problem being crashes. Frankly we all said the same thing---we would much rather have crashes where you are back in 1 min in same place and snappy, responsive gameplay than what it feels like now.

@ZOS_Gilliam @ZOS_BillE @ZOS_RichLambert @ZOS_SarahHecker @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_BrianWheeler @ZOS_RobGarrett @ZOS_MattFiror
  • Giljabrar
    Giljabrar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've said this a lot the past few weeks. I'd rather be forced to stay in the same area to avoid crashes and have playable combat, vs not crashing while moving and mostly unplayable combat.
  • Noxeee
    Noxeee
    ✭✭
    This is a good post.

It's important for everyone to remember that communication runs both ways.

Notwithstanding any communication issues from Zenimax, the communication from the community/player-base is terrible. It is often not well thought out and derogatory. A large number of posts are not helpful because they tend to focus on what the poster perceives as broken but neglects what does in fact work.

The combat was fantastic with the last major update. The game-play felt snappier. Unfortunately, the majority of posts were complaints about what wasn't working (eg crashes) but did not include the improvements. I can only assume that Zenimax responded accordingly.

Don't misunderstand. I am not saying don't criticize. But criticize constructively. Put a bit more thought into it.

If you want positive communication from Zenimax, then communicate back to them constructively, not negatively.

Respect the old adage: "Treat others the way you want to be treated."
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The feeling when you have to ask for crashes to be reintroduced in the hope that performance will improve...

My guess would be that even with the crashes back the performance would still be bad atm. (and there would be way less enemies to fight because people will just quit, even more so that are doing right now).
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • JayKwellen
    JayKwellen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can mostly agree with this in that I've had the same experience.

Before combat was definitely more responsive and crisp. The lag was still insufferable at times, but the game was still usually playable. During prime hours moving away from the zerg and high-populated areas would typically improve performance, at least somewhat.

This is no longer the case. Prior to the update I actually didn't crash much at all after upgrading to an XB1x, but after the update I crash multiple times a night. The difference between then and now in the crashes is that now my screen will just freeze. No crash to home screen or anything, the screen simply stops moving. Group chat still works perfectly fine too when frozen.

Also, Vlastrus is cursed I think. Something about running from Fare or BB to Vlas, there's one specific spot about half way where I always freeze. Not just me but my guildies too, even my husband who was playing right next to me. At one point my group and I were running there, and 4 out of 5 all froze in the exact same spot -- the same spot we all had frozen before. The same spot I froze in the next day. It's really weird.

As for post-update performance, aside from the crashes the skill delays are the worst thing to come of it. Before the update the lag I experienced was mostly just delayed activation - press a button and the action (usually) starts 2-3 seconds later.

But now? In Cyrodiil during these lag peaks your abilities will start, and then finish 2-3 seconds later, maybe. I'll wind up a dizzy swing and sit there in the attack animation for a solid few seconds before anything happens. Sometimes abilities, particularly ultimates, will "go off" in that they use up your ultimate, but then not fire. Sometimes they do work, but then land and do no damage at all, same for regular abilities. Getting chain CC'd every GCD is a common occurrence. Being unable to break free is a common occurrence. Being completely unable to bar swap is a common occurrence. Being "rubber banded" and whipped across the map is a common occurrence. Everything and everyone slowing down into slow motion only to instantly snap back is a common occurrence. Health desyncs are a common occurrence. The game simply feels slow, sluggish, and as if it's on the verge of crashing almost continuously.

Unlike before, where simply moving away from the zerg would usually help performance, these issues appear to continue no matter where you happen to be. I've been standing on a resource alone, no one nearby but me and the NPC's, and had this happen. I've it happen to me while standing at the gate. I've had it happen just running through empty fields. I've had it happen at 4 in the afternoon in a population locked campaign, and at 4 in the morning with no bars across the board.

And also unlike before, it's no longer a matter of "if" it's happening, it's a matter of "how bad". Because now it happens every day. Since the update, I haven't played a single day without these issues occurring, the only variable is how poorly the game is running, no longer if the game is running poorly.

The other day for the first time ever my PvP guild - a bunch of sweaty tryhards who play every single day - literally all quit to go play a different game because the performance was so abysmal there was no enjoyment to be had.

This game is performing 100%, unequivocally, and undeniably worse since the last performance update.
    Xbox NA - JaeKwellen
    AD PvP
    Trying to main a magcro. This is awful.
  • twitch_zero
    twitch_zero
    ✭✭✭
    Performance has been getting progressively worse since they reversed the changes which cause players to crash every few minutes. If those changes were merely reversed then I don't see why this is happening given performance is much worse than say late last year. The CP campaign is is completely unplayable and its not due to population given the population is getting lower. Its not just extreme skill lag and the desync but in the north of cyro I literally get a load screen every few steps, why is that happening?

If its due to CP then simply don't run any CP enabled campaigns now.
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It is freaking sad, I played about 30 min total and could only move when I didn't really need to. As soon as I tried to fight someone, my skills wouldn't go off until too late, and I couldn't move.

Why are we here? They fixed the group finder tool years ago and it is still broken. Can't trust zeni when they say "We are fixing" something.

I'm one step from giving up. You can blame it on servers, CP all you want. The game worked until they changed something.

Edited by vamp_emily on April 4, 2020 12:57AM

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• nosource
    nosource
    Soul Shriven
    Noxeee wrote: »
    This is a good post.

Notwithstanding any communication issues from Zenimax, the communication from the community/player-base is terrible. It is often not well thought out and derogatory. A large number of posts are not helpful because they tend to focus on what the poster perceives as broken but neglects what does in fact work.

The combat was fantastic with the last major update. The game-play felt snappier. Unfortunately, the majority of posts were complaints about what wasn't working (eg crashes) but did not include the improvements. I can only assume that Zenimax responded accordingly.

Don't misunderstand. I am not saying don't criticize. But criticize constructively. Put a bit more thought into it.

If you want positive communication from Zenimax, then communicate back to them constructively, not negatively.

I agree with the general positive thrust of your message however, my issue is that my first 1000 bug reports to ZOS were quite positive and constructive. Much of the hostility from the player base is because of years of being ignored and feeling misled. They don't start like that out of the gate. Furthermore, I have sent ZOS a lot of money. How does Zenimax respond in kind? At best vague, unfulfilled statements and as far as return on my money, I'm getting chances to win mount skins.
  • Mankeyyyyy
    Mankeyyyyy
    ✭✭

Heh
  • Minnesinger
    Minnesinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The feeling when you have to ask for crashes to be reintroduced in the hope that performance will improve...

My guess would be that even with the crashes back the performance would still be bad atm. (and there would be way less enemies to fight because people will just quit, even more so that are doing right now).

How about freezing screen? I have succesfully experienced some in the short sphere of time. ThIs leads to disconnect and ultimately not connecting back. I sacrifice my playing time to the benefit of reducing lag.
    The wind is cold where I live,
    The blizzard is my home,
    Snow and ice and loaded dice, the Wizard lives alone.
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    nosource wrote: »
    This is a good post.

I agree with the general positive thrust of your message however, my issue is that my first 1000 bug reports to ZOS were quite positive and constructive. Much of the hostility from the player base is because of years of being ignored and feeling misled. They don't start like that out of the gate. Furthermore, I have sent ZOS a lot of money. How does Zenimax respond in kind? At best vague, unfulfilled statements and as far as return on my money, I'm getting chances to win mount skins.

^^^

I mean, they've even said they think the server's coping just fine. It's obviously not. Against any NPCs it can take up to 3 seconds for a skill to fire/register.

That's seriously broken.

Don't tell me it's fine. That's just flat out BS, and people (rightly) get cranky over it.

Edited by Mr_Walker on June 18, 2020 3:37AM