Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Mechanics of delayed damage

FrancisCrawford
FrancisCrawford
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
I have a lot of questions about skills and effects that do damage while you're on a different bar (with potentially different weapon traits, set bonuses, passives, etc.) than at the time they were triggered. If you know of links that answer these AND that you are pretty sure are still correct, it would be great if you could share them.

Actually, the question is always the same -- When damage is caused while one bar is active but occurs while the other bar is up, which bar's stats govern damage calculations? Possible scenarios, for which the answer might be different, include:
  • DoT skills. These can be single-target, ground-based AoE, caster-based AoE, or other.
  • Damage-after-time skills, such as sorcerer Curse, warden Shalks, or the delayed parts of Unstable Wall of Elements and the sorcerer execute.
  • Skills with travel time, whether variable (e.g. Snipe, Blastbones) or fixed (e.g. warden Birds).
  • Set procs. These have at least as much variability as actual skills. Further, many of the DoT only start after a period of time.
  • Pet attacks. Are limited-life pets treated like unlimited-life pets, or like DoTs, or are those two categories thankfully treated the same anyway?

So what are the basic rules? And are there any noteworthy exceptions or edge cases?

As you may have guessed, I just (re)started thinking about this after realizing that a LOT of my warden skills land while I'm on a different bar than they're cast from.
Edited by FrancisCrawford on June 11, 2020 3:31AM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    One more question -- what if your proc a backbar enchant while on your front bar (because of Wall of Elements, Endless Hail or whaever), and if you single-bar Torug's Pact on your front bar. Does it then buff the backbar enchant?