Weapon Enchantments alter Staff Effect Questions

juliandracos
juliandracos
✭✭
I am pretty new to the game and I have some questions about weapon enchantments on staves. My confusion arises from the fact that staves already have an effect, e.g. fire with inferno. When you add a weapon enchantment, does it override the base effect? For example, if I have a lightning staff and add a glyph of flame, does it now cause fire damage or fire and lightning?

What occurs if a duplicate the base staffs effect? If you put a glyph of shock onto a lightning staff does it just not do anything additional?

How does adding oblivion damage affect any of the staves?

Finally, at least for now, when you add the charged effect onto a staff, it increases the chance to apply status effect. What effects exactly are being increased and how do I determine what the base chances were to begin with.

Thanks.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only have good news for you, @juliandracos.

Weapon effects and weapon enchantments are separate and stack with each other ... so there is no "canceling out" of effects.

In your example, adding a glyph of shock onto a lightning staff will improve your shock damage over the base damage of the staff itself.

Another more interesting example is that occasionally I will run a Winterborn Inferno Staff with a frost enchant on my Magicka Warden in PvP.

So, by slotting the Fire Clench skill, you'll get the knockback on an enemy player ... but then the frost damage from the enchantment will occasionally proc the Winterborn 5-piece snare (60% movement reduction) at the end of the knockback. ;)

As for details on status effects, the UESP has an organized page with good links to details (including Oblivion damage, which effects are eligible with the Charged trait, base chance, and modifiers):

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Effects

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Combat
  • juliandracos
    juliandracos
    ✭✭
    Thanks. That clears most things up. Now I just need to rethink what I want on my staves.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. That clears most things up. Now I just need to rethink what I want on my staves.

Generally they break down like this:
    - Inferno/Flame: Increases your individual damage (from Burning, increased base damage on Wall, Light and Heavy Attacks)
    - Lightning/Shock: Increases the damage an enemy takes from you and allies (from Concussion, Minor Vulnerability, Off-Balance)
    - Ice/Frost: Decreases the damage an enemy deals to you and allies (from Chill, Minor Maim, defensive passives)