The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Malacath's Ring and Impen/Crit Calculations

Crown
Crown
✭✭✭✭✭
My spreadsheet has been updated with 6.0.5 numbers, and some guidance on whether using Malacath's Ring would improve your damage (based on different scenarios of what you're fighting):

https://goo.gl/84hnar
Crown | AD NB | First AD/NA Grand Overlord (2015/12/26)
PvP Guides @ DarkElves.com
  • Rhandee235
    Rhandee235
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Crown! Another fantastic resource for the community. This is very well presented.
  • Lughlongarm
    Lughlongarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a very nice tool that honestly should be posted on a bigger sub forum(like the pvp sub forum for example).

Important to note that the story is a bit more complicated.

*Malacath's damage bonus is additive to other base damage multipliers while cit damage bonus is multiplicative to base damage bonuses. For example, if my base damage is "5" and let's say that buffed on a CP environment I have 50% damage bonus without Malacath's, My damage will be 7.5. With Malacath's that damage will be 8.75.
    same "5" base attack with 50% damage bonus and 23% crit damage(the example mentioned in the sheet) will crit for 9.225
    and as you can see, 9.225>8.75.

*Wearing Malacath's has the alternative cost for disrupting your regular build setup. Depending on the build, this cost could reflect a big damage loss.

• ne.ga.kurai_ESO
    ne.ga.kurai_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Crown wrote: »
    My spreadsheet has been updated with 6.0.5 numbers, and some guidance on whether using Malacath's Ring would improve your damage (based on different scenarios of what you're fighting):

https://goo.gl/84hnar

When it comes to impen calcs... is there any rounding down?
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most things aren´t ever as easy as people would like them to be.

Doing a pure calculation on malacath dmg vs crit dmg doesn´t really work and will give you skewed results depending on what crit% and multiplier you start with.
    Malacath in that regard works like shadow mundus - you don´t just slap it on an have a go - you adjust your build to make optimal use of it (adjusting cp - removing critbonuses from gear - switchting skills/potions used).

In the end only doing a proper test of:
    What i run normally with crit VS What i´d run with malacath
    Will give conclusive results and even then only vs a specific impen value/target as mentioned by crown.
    Edited by Derra on June 5, 2020 6:23AM
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Crown
    Crown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Derra You're right, and I made the assumption that people would realize it. I've updated the note about Malacath to:
    If you're thinking about Malacath's Band of Brutality, this sheet can help you make that decision. Remember that you're not comparing apples to apples, a build with Malacath and a build without Malacath will have different base damage and calculations! Use this as a reference to your Malacath decisions, not as the only calculation for the decision!
    Crown | AD NB | First AD/NA Grand Overlord (2015/12/26)
    PvP Guides @ DarkElves.com
  • ItsJustHashtag
    ItsJustHashtag
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crown wrote: »
    @Derra You're right, and I made the assumption that people would realize it. I've updated the note about Malacath to:
    If you're thinking about Malacath's Band of Brutality, this sheet can help you make that decision. Remember that you're not comparing apples to apples, a build with Malacath and a build without Malacath will have different base damage and calculations! Use this as a reference to your Malacath decisions, not as the only calculation for the decision!

You know what they say about assuming...
  • Skander
    Skander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dudes, it's pay to win
    I meme, but my memes are so truthful they hurt
    -Elder Nightblades Online
    Want competitive pvp while being outnumbered? Tough luck, the devs clearly said you have to die in those situations