Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Western Skyrim Wayshrine Change

ZoM_Head
ZoM_Head
✭✭✭✭
The impracticality of virtually all the wayshrines in Western Skyrim is very annoying. One needs quite some time to reach various points in the middle of the map, more so for the Harrostorm Events.

However, there is not a single wayshrine on the entire northern coast of the zone. Yet Deepwood Vale and Dragon Bridge wayshrines are very close to each other, i attempted to show this on the map as well as maybe move the Deepwood Vale wayshrine to the North, what do you think? can we make this happen? you moved Deshan's wayshrine back in late 2014 from outside the city to inside the city walls.

Wayhsines-1.png Wayhsines-2.png Wayhsines-3.png

[edited to remove petition]
Edited by ZOS_Lunar on June 3, 2020 12:37PM
mDKs still need a lot of love!
  • Alamakot
    Alamakot
    ✭✭✭
    Very good proposal
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, I dread going up North because of this.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought they made it specifically harder to go there to depict the "frozen waste, noone goes there" nature of that coastal stretch... tho it can be somewhat annoying, having to ride (and occasionally falling down a mountain when seeking a shortcut, but that's definitely my own darn fault anyhow :p )
  • ZoM_Head
    ZoM_Head
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, i am not the only one.

The zone chat on EU was nothing but complaints on how "far away" the coat was.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There does seem to be a basic disconnect among the developers between what is ‘story driven’ and what is sensible gameplay.

It’s evident in the poor placement of weyshrines (just as in Elsweyr) and the arbitrary appearance of harrowstorms... both are justified in ‘story’ terms but will result in players being demotivated to do the content. So while the ‘story’ of harrowstorms being that they are random and could appear anywhere, the reality is that no one knows where they will be and the weyshrines are so badly placed that by the time you get to any emergent harrowstorm it will likely be over. This massively disappoints and disincentivises players from pursuing the harrowstorm quests. The two sites in the north, for instance, could spawn repeatedly and almost no one is going to bother travelling there on the off chance that the harrowstorm will still be up.

Southern Elsweyr, in contrast, is well designed both in a narrative and practical way... the dragons are clearly indicated before they land and the various weyshrines are conveniently placed. As a result there are always groups of players engaging dragons.

While no one wants every set of dolmens/harrowstorms to be as grindy as those in Alik’r, it’s ridiculous that it can take over an hour to simply do the 3 harrowstorms daily, with the vast bulk of that time spent waiting in vain for a nearby harrowstorm to pop.
  • Pauls
    Pauls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its fine as it is, unless you're fan of mindless grinding, maybe then it would be better to do Alikr dolmens instead
  • Netheniel
    Netheniel
    ✭✭✭
    As an MMO, mindless grinding is the name of the game :)

I pretty much agree with everything FierceSam has said. In northern Elsweyr, people only fought the northern dragon because of its convenient spawn location near the north-west wayshrine. Lately I'm seeing more players congregate at the Miner's and Dwarf Harrowstorm locations given their close proximity to each other and the wayshrine. Few people are engaged enough to constantly run around, unless it's part of a guild activity with scouts setup across the map. Just look at the north-eastern Harrowstorm. It's a ghost town up there and people often need to notify others in map chat multiple times to get assistance. As the honeymoon phase starts to settle, it will be interesting to see if Harrowstorms become a new form of Abysmal Geysers (ie: mostly ignored content), and whether ZoS will re-balance the open event to be more solo friendly.
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They should just add some more wayshrines, the zone is huge.
  • Kagukan
    Kagukan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was first exploring I found it rather odd there were no wayshrines up north. One is needed.
  • Mysanne
    Mysanne
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, one in the north would be nice.
  • ZoM_Head
    ZoM_Head
    ✭✭✭✭
    At least some people agree, at the very least i hope Zenimax can at least look into this.
  • DreamsUnderStars
    DreamsUnderStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They didn't think this through very well, and that's obvious. The best solution would be to add two new way shrines on opposite ends of the northern coast.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Netheniel wrote: »
    As an MMO, mindless grinding is the name of the game :)

But you’re speaking of a game whose director has explicitly and repeatedly disavowed the MMO label. ESO’s distancing of itself from generic expectations and norms has long been one of the things that attracts players who are turned off by the typical MMO m.o.

Unfortunately the game is becoming more and more generic, with things like Harrowstorms and the return to untouched 5+-year-old arenas driving more mindless grind at the expense of innovative content. Even one of the lead devs expressly acknowledged he sees the game as an “endless grind” and seems to make design decisions accordingly, unnecessarily upsetting a lot of long-time players in the process. It makes me very concerned for the direction of the game going forward.
  • SolidusPrime
    SolidusPrime
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree. It makes doing Harrowstorms such a pain.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, the wayshrine placement wasnt well thought out. You have 2 within 10 seconds of each other then a huge area with none.
    Beta tester November 2013
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I the only person that actually enjoys traveling the normal way.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The deep woods vale way shrine cannot and should not be moved as (I believe) it is used in the introductory quest.

I am all for adding a new way shrine along the northern coast.
  • Fata1moose
    Fata1moose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good idea a Wayshrine on the coast would be nice.
  • opaj
    opaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    Am I the only person that actually enjoys traveling the normal way.

I enjoy traveling the normal way when I'm exploring and playing through the story. I'll even toggle walk on for long stretches of road and use navigators instead of wayshrines.

But when I'm doing daily quests for motifs so that I can up my fashion game? Give me convenient wayshrines please.