Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "ESO's Performance Improvements Plan"

• ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    The May update for this article is now live. You can read it here.
    Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The May update for this article is now live. You can read it here.

Uhm. That isn't as much of an "update" as it is a "no more updates" :neutral:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    While the planned game performance improvement work continues, we are prioritizing the game performance issues that surfaced with the launch of Update 26 and Greymoor – specifically high ping in some zones.
    = Despite Rich Lambert saying that performance is mostly getting better, our flagship release of the year was so buggy that we no longer have the time or personnel to work on general performance improvements for the game. We're never going to express regret about this or acknowledge that we disappointed you.
    We are also exploring the best ways in which we can share performance improvements updates with you moving forward. With this in mind, we have made the decision to shift away from the monthly updates to this game performance plan article. Thank you and please stay tuned.
    = It's a lot of work for us to write a few paragraphs every month, and our marketing team doesn't think these updates are having the positive impact on the game's image that we hoped, so we're going back to our strategy of silence.
    Edited by casparian on May 29, 2020 3:33PM
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Cleveland521
    Cleveland521
    ✭✭✭
    I just recently replaced my old modem with a new Arris 5g modem, it had fixed a lot of the lag issues because my old modem was really out of date and unable to keep up with the new speeds, I still blue screen in pvp but not near as much, and so far I have not experienced any lag with my abilities, so far... there is still a lot of work Zos needs to do to make pvp playable again. Oh Zos hear our cries for help....
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciated this thread and the regular plan for having all the necessary info in an easy to access and consolidated format. I hope whatever new method you find will do the same.
  • McGordon
    McGordon
    ✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »
    While the planned game performance improvement work continues, we are prioritizing the game performance issues that surfaced with the launch of Update 26 and Greymoor – specifically high ping in some zones.
    = Despite Rich Lambert saying that performance is mostly getting better, our flagship release of the year was so buggy that we no longer have the time or personnel to work on general performance improvements for the game. We're never going to express regret about this or acknowledge that we disappointed you.
    We are also exploring the best ways in which we can share performance improvements updates with you moving forward. With this in mind, we have made the decision to shift away from the monthly updates to this game performance plan article. Thank you and please stay tuned.
    = It's a lot of work for us to write a few paragraphs every month, and our marketing team doesn't think these updates are having the positive impact on the game's image that we hoped, so we're going back to our strategy of silence.

So accurate
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »
    We're never going to express regret about this or acknowledge that we disappointed you.

None of their departments ever apologize for anything. And I think that's part of the communication issue that makes people so resentful.

That said, prioritizing concerns (Greymoor launch) is realistic. And no longer making ambitious promises you can't guarantee is realistic.
    But when they don't announce their plans with a deadline people complain that its empty promises. When they don't say anything at all instead of risking disappointing people, they are accused of not doing anything at all.

Both sides need a timeout to reset this conversation and start fresh.
  • Almakor
    Almakor
    ✭✭✭
    I've been playing ESO since the first Beta. I may have raged on the forum every now then, but hey who doesn't? Deep down, to me ESO was an endless adventure that I literally enjoyed every day. Even the lag in Cyrodil was tolerable. But with Greymore update and new pve lag and increased pvp lag and skill delays, all that's left is immense frustration at all the money I spent buying Crowns for all the motifs so I can craft everything. I'm gonna take a break from ESO for a week or two hope that's enough time for them to fix everything. If not, I'll take it as a lesson never to get sucked into games that drain your wallet. Or at least don't spend anything more than $20 a month on it.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well; I was hopefull on the fix early May 29th would fix the "lag" and I think it has made things better, but its not perfect. There still is somelag and POSITION DESYC AND RUBBER BANDING. Just want to emphasize that @ZOS_GinaBruno and @ZOS_JessicaFolsom as I am glad some progress has made. Just want to make sure you realize what we are talking about as I think this position desync gets confused with ability delay when really; abilities are not delayed, they just don't fire because I think I am in a different location than the server thinks I am.

Been a rough week, though. I hope the people at ZOS get some R&R this weekend as they still have a lot to get done.
  • DarthBetty
    DarthBetty
    Soul Shriven
    Cyrodiil was laggy before, even unplayable at times. Now after the latest patch, combat works like this:
    Me and one other player attacking a resource--spam ability buttons as fast as possible until none of them go off and you die. Consider yourself lucky if one light attack gets out. Meanwhile npcs are respawning mid-fight.
    Yea, not exactly what I had in mind with performance improvements.....

[Snip]

[Removed for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on June 2, 2020 4:32PM
  • Almakor
    Almakor
    ✭✭✭
    DarthBetty wrote: »
    Cyrodiil was laggy before, even unplayable at times. Now after the latest patch, combat works like this:
    Me and one other player attacking a resource--spam ability buttons as fast as possible until none of them go off and you die. Consider yourself lucky if one light attack gets out. Meanwhile npcs are respawning mid-fight.
    Yea, not exactly what I had in mind with performance improvements.....

[Snip]

[Removed for bashing]

Ah they removed your video. That was hysterical.
  • Almakor
    Almakor
    ✭✭✭
    I just got booted from the server because I "hit my message limit" but I only did one message. This is getting ridicules.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almakor wrote: »
    I just got booted from the server because I "hit my message limit" but I only did one message. This is getting ridicules.

Just FYI, if this was a 318 error... https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4669

Probably not due to that one message you sent.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • csparks1
    csparks1
    ✭✭✭
    wow...just WOW
    We are also exploring the best ways in which we can share performance improvements updates with you moving forward. With this in mind, we have made the decision to shift away from the monthly updates to this game performance plan article.

.....WE are exploring better ways to keep you updated - so we decided not to update you anymore...
    kinda reminds me of this thread...
  • Almakor
    Almakor
    ✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

Just FYI, if this was a 318 error... https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4669

The problem is that some addons are necessary for the more difficult content like vet trials; telling you your dps rate and warnings of incoming attacks like in vBRP.
  • hashsnob
    hashsnob
    ✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

The problem is that some addons are necessary for the more difficult content like vet trials; telling you your dps rate and warnings of incoming attacks like in vBRP.

Addons are not necessary for difficult content, hell the world record for vbrp is on xbox. [snip]

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_FalcoYamaoka on June 11, 2020 2:36PM
  • Karivaa
    Karivaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    csparks1 wrote: »
    wow...just WOW
    We are also exploring the best ways in which we can share performance improvements updates with you moving forward. With this in mind, we have made the decision to shift away from the monthly updates to this game performance plan article.

.....WE are exploring better ways to keep you updated - so we decided not to update you anymore...
    kinda reminds me of this thread...
    Same old Zos. Those of us who have played for 6 years never believed a word they said about performance updates anyways. We were so very hopeful at the beginning.
  • dhboy123
    dhboy123
    ✭✭✭✭
    This thread is really disheartening.

Clearly nothing is being listened to.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have to say the improved grass fade-in has made more of an impression with me than I thought it would. It is refreshing not seeing it suddenly and violently appear after traveling for several seconds and seeing nothing but bare ground.

The lag and desync now is...different. I ran into a harrowstorm today close to the end and couldn’t see anything other than players for probably ten seconds, so I threw down aoes hoping that I would do enough damage to invisible enemies to get credit for the daily quest. That is the same as before the new chapter and is often what I would see in battles in Cyrodiil. When in battle with small groups even in PvE now though, everything just freezes for more than a second before the skills I previously used take effect and it’s very disconcerting. Battles in the new zone with world bosses cause the frame rate to drop so low it’s more like a slideshow.

I’m on PS4 Pro.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Arcon2825
    Arcon2825
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

We're still missing the german language Greymoor patch notes for both PS4 and Xbox One. Even after asking a few times, there is no response from @ZOS_KaiSchober about when to expect them. Could you please give us an update on this?
    Edited by Arcon2825 on June 21, 2020 3:58PM
    Xbox EU
    CP 1400+:
    Laeleith - Magicka Sorcerer DD, Vampire
    Maryssía - Stamina Dragonknight Tank
    Thaleidria - Magicka Templar Healer
    Zemene - Magicka Necromant DD
    Poohie - Magicka Warden DD
    Elyveya - Stamina Nightblade DD
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rittings wrote: »
    FINALLY - BOT FARMERS!! We need action taken upon these. They have moved beyond the starter zones and are now present in many places in Tamriel. They farm the nodes so efficiently that no nodes are available for genuine players. We are in desperate need of action taken against them - and I fully believe if you track to whom they are directly selling their mats to (which on PS4 most of us know who the few of them are, but we aren't allowed to name and shame against your TOS) then I think you'd cut off the supply of gold to them, and thus discourage any future "trade spammers" to risk being banned from the game. As a strong deterrent, I'd suggest Gamemasters be patrolling the most known areas and instantly banning bots to stem the tide of these robotically farmed nodes hitting the marketplace too.

ZOS literally do not care at all about bot farmers, or the people who interact with these. I provided them with hard evidence, URL's and screencaps to/of Facebook posts, of people who offered Dreugh Wax etc. for sale, complete with their gamertags, and even in one case a users surname being present IN his gamertag. I didn't get any feedback whatsoever to this, and he kept on dealing "China wax" as he openly called it for like yet another year or so, then he quit the game afaik.

This guy wrote in plain text, that he "Bought and traded in cheap China bot farmed Dreugh Wax [...]", there was no doubt whatsoever about what he was doing, and no trying to hide it. Reaction was: .....
  • MehVahdJukaar
    MehVahdJukaar
    ✭✭✭
    Dear ZOS, can you please fix the EU server once and for all?
    It's been more than four years and when maintenance day comes, due to the usuals "unforseen problems", EU server has to stay offline for at least twice the amount of the NA server, EVERY SINGLE TIME.
    This is uttlely unacceptable, and it's added to the fact that EU players are already penalized by the fact that maintenance takes place in the middle of the day as opposed to the middle of the night as for NA.
    Really I can't stress this enough, if this doesn't seem to you like a top priority, above everything else on this thread, I don't know what does.
    So once again FIX EU SERVER
  • Ndecent
    Ndecent
    ✭✭
    So are there any plans to improve the improvement plan?

I have had an account since 2014 and have tried to play off and on over the years. I purchase the content, I pay for eso plus (old style paid a subscription) and it seems as if problems with the game get worse and not better. I was so excited for the Greymoor launch and it was a total disaster.

It appears that problems from 6 years ago remain unresolved, new problems have occurred without any attempt to address them, and the "improvements" don't seem to be improving anything at all.

I guess I am just wondering if there really is a desire to make the game better or if ZM devs just want to keep milking the player base until it's dead?

Don't "look into it' do something about it.
  • Goodall
    Goodall
    ✭✭
    Ndecent wrote: »
    So are there any plans to improve the improvement plan?

I have had an account since 2014 and have tried to play off and on over the years. I purchase the content, I pay for eso plus (old style paid a subscription) and it seems as if problems with the game get worse and not better. I was so excited for the Greymoor launch and it was a total disaster.

It appears that problems from 6 years ago remain unresolved, new problems have occurred without any attempt to address them, and the "improvements" don't seem to be improving anything at all.

I guess I am just wondering if there really is a desire to make the game better or if ZM devs just want to keep milking the player base until it's dead?

Don't "look into it' do something about it.

I 100% agree. I'm in exactly the same boat as well. I've been playing on and off since the beta back in 2014. I always stop playing as the performance doesn't get any better.

Last year was the final straw for me. I had enough the performance as a joke and nothing was being done.

Until I say that Zenimax finally announced an update regarding their performance plan. I was happy "finally Zenimax has finally said something about the awful performance and that they have a plan to fix it.

I decided to wait an entire year waiting for 3 of these "big performance" updated to be released. When greymoor released I was expecting grealy improved perfromance since I last played. However to my disapointment the performance is even worse than it's ever been.

I have to say during the Beta PVP in Cyrodil allowed more players and it seems to be so much smoother than it is now. Now you cannot play PVP all time from 12 mid day to 9 in the evening. It's a god damn Joke.

Years us players have been waiting for a fix and every time ZM just spits in our face and ignores us. All they care about is releasing more crown crates to milk the community as much as they can.

They do not care about us. And the other way we will hit them where it hurts is with our wallets.

• colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad to see that game is down both times i logged at forums today, seems game is still running in high quality performance mode lmao