The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

How do you build a WW build? (pve)

Joxer61
Joxer61
✭✭✭✭✭
Ok, really new to this but am loving the damage WW does thus far. My issue is thus, how do you build it? Meaning, do I just build a strong "regular" Stamplar toon and have WW as a ass kicking Ulti or...do I focus more on WW itself and build to make it strong as?
In my head it seems like the former would be "best" option as that way I have a strong dps class and then when needed/ready a really butt kickingly strong Ulti. But, I could be completely wrong in my thinking so anyone with experience in this help a brother out? And yea, this is PVE only.....
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Strong item sets for WW would be blood moon, tzogvins warband, relequens, briarheart, or hundings rage. Monster sets would be selenes, veledrith, maarselok, or maybe stormfist.

There are a lot of helpful guides out there on YouTube. Just search werewolf dps greymoor.
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stx wrote: »
    There are a lot of helpful guides out there on YouTube. Just search werewolf dps greymoor.

I did...not much showing up, just a few randoms and then loads of pvp ones. Be nice if some of the "big hitters" in regards to builds would do something.....but its still early, we shall see. ;)
    Edited by Joxer61 on May 30, 2020 5:56PM
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joxer61 wrote: »

I did...not much showing up, just a few randoms and then loads of pvp ones. Be nice if some of the "big hitters" in regards to builds would do something.....but its still early, we shall see. ;)

If you search these forums there is somewhere a 100 page thread about werewolf builds. It goes back years, you can see some comment about virtually any werewolf build
    Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Colonel
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Centurion
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been pretty obsessively theory-crafting and testing all things werewolf since the update.

A strong Stam dps build is still strong in werewolf form, which is the main reason the usual Stam dps sets get recommended, but maybe they aren't great recommendations...

Standard Stam dps
    I believe the strength of werewolves largely comes from the huge %increases you get for max stamina (30%), Stam recovery (15%), and weapon damage (18%). Weapon damage gets passively multiplied even more by major brutality (20%) and medium armor (15%). Buffing these stats through gear sets means you get much more than the basic tooltip. Unless you are building for something specific prioritise sets that add max stamina, stamina recovery and especially weapon damage... Sets that add crit, cost reduction, or proc damage, are still good, but their effects are not buffed.

I reckon one of the best sets for a werwolf is the new Yandir's Might trial set - everything it boosts gets made stonger on werewolf, but probably takes some skill to use well.

special werewolf builds
    Werwolf tanks (pack leader morph)- need to use the tormentor set, and in my early/solo testing need a second set that increases their healing OR health recovery.

Light and heavy attack builds (beserker morph) - easy to play and have no problem with sustain. Possibly relequen could be great, but you also have
    loads of interesting ways to boost attack damage, or add extra effects like increased speed or rare debuffs.

Bleed builds - haven't tried yet, but seems like an interesting theme.

Edit - spelling
    Edited by Jim_Pipp on May 30, 2020 10:49PM
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Even though stamina gets boosted by 30%, and weapon damage by 18%, penetration is still the best damage boost until you are capped.

Crit and crit damage are also more valuable up to a certain point. That's why tzogvins is so good, because you can't get minor force in ww form, and that overloads the 5 piece, plus the other bonuses are good.
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim_Pipp wrote: »
    I've been pretty obsessively theory-crafting and testing all things werewolf since the update.

A strong Stam dps build is still strong in werewolf form, which is the main reason the usual Stam dps sets get recommended, but maybe they aren't great recommendations...

Standard Stam dps
    I believe the strength of werewolves largely comes from the huge %increases you get for max stamina (30%), Stam recovery (15%), and weapon damage (18%). Weapon damage gets passively multiplied even more by major brutality (20%) and medium armor (15%). Buffing these stats through gear sets means you get much more than the basic tooltip. Unless you are building for something specific prioritise sets that add max stamina, stamina recovery and especially weapon damage... Sets that add crit, cost reduction, or proc damage, are still good, but their effects are not buffed.

I reckon one of the best sets for a werwolf is the new Yandir's Might trial set - everything it boosts gets made stonger on werewolf, but probably takes some skill to use well.

special werewolf builds
    Werwolf tanks (pack leader morph)- need to use the tormentor set, and in my early/solo testing need a second set that increases their healing OR health recovery.

Light and heavy attack builds (beserker morph) - easy to play and have no problem with sustain. Possibly relequen could be great, but you also have
    loads of interesting ways to boost attack damage, or add extra effects like increased speed or rare debuffs.

Bleed builds - haven't tried yet, but seems like an interesting theme.

Edit - spelling

well get some builds out mate!!! cant wait.... ;)
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theignson wrote: »

If you search these forums there is somewhere a 100 page thread about werewolf builds. It goes back years, you can see some comment about virtually any werewolf build

why would I want to go back years? The new skills are what is making WW shine now, so that's what I am looking for....Greymoor stuff.
  • Mr_Wolfe
    Mr_Wolfe
    ✭✭✭
    Because WW play really hasn't changed that much, and I say this as someone who's been playing on and off since the beta, and spent most of that time focusing on werewolf builds. There's a wealth of knowledge to be mined about tactics and playstyle, and that will carry you much farther than flavor of the month 'meta' sets.
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Wolfe wrote: »
    Because WW play really hasn't changed that much, and I say this as someone who's been playing on and off since the beta, and spent most of that time focusing on werewolf builds. There's a wealth of knowledge to be mined about tactics and playstyle, and that will carry you much farther than flavor of the month 'meta' sets.

good to know! Thanks! ;)
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Wolfe wrote: »

Yes I agree 100%. If you study the history of werewolf builds , especially on that huge thread, you'll learn tons about werewolf, imo
    Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Colonel
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Centurion
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • daemonor
    daemonor
    ✭✭✭✭
    WW is not a complimentary ult, you either go full WW or not. Relequen+tzogwin+selenes, you're welcome.
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daemonor wrote: »
    WW is not a complimentary ult, you either go full WW or not. Relequen+tzogwin+selenes, you're welcome.

how is it not? Hits like a truck while you are in WW. And how does one stay full WW for the length of a trial? Pretend you talking to someone who has nary a clue...cuz I don't. ;)
  • daemonor
    daemonor
    ✭✭✭✭

how is it not? Hits like a truck while you are in WW. And how does one stay full WW for the length of a trial? Pretend you talking to someone who has nary a clue...cuz I don't. ;)

I mean ww ulti doesn't enhance your regular playstyle, if you try to build for both human and ww form you will end up worse versions of either. If you wanna play a werewolf you have to focus on your werewolf performance only.

Since i believe you were looking for a pve setup relequen is still the best single target damage set, with tzogvins to pair since you dont have access to minor force (10% crit damage) which is an essential pve dps buff in werewolf form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWE5QjCblm8&t=686s this is most up to date information on werewolf currently and I would copy everything he says.
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I mean ww ulti doesn't enhance your regular playstyle, if you try to build for both human and ww form you will end up worse versions of either. If you wanna play a werewolf you have to focus on your werewolf performance only.

Again, I don't see how it wouldn't be a boost to whatever dps I was doing as say a Stamplar, for the time I was in WW. Still not seeing how I would be able to stay in WW for the length of a trial either. I mean if you can stay in it that long why have a class that builds Ulti fast? Is not the reason for that so I can build ulti back and then use WW again, for the next big fight? Also, I am talking solely pve here....and yea, have watched that video and others many times, and none of them really say "how" to play as WW, just what to use when in it.
    Edited by Joxer61 on June 1, 2020 12:48AM
  • Kilcosu
    Kilcosu
    ✭✭✭
    when running my werewolf for entire durations of dungeons and trials it ultimately comes down to your own knowledge of where the next add pulls are and management of the timer. feral pounce is the best option for solo ww

Good pug groups or guild runs are nice because mechanics are known and not a lot of stopping for explanations happen, thus high uptime werewolf form.

in situations of falling out of form happens (because no run can be the perfect pug run) it's best to get comfortable with the non werewolf rotation, luckily tzvogin and relequen are not a bad combo for this,

you'll see a dps loss in humanoid form realistically because champion points and gear sets for werewolf may not 100% match what is good for other stam builds. it can't really be avoided and is what it is but that's a decent middle ground.

I hope I provided some insight, but overall it's just experience and knowledge you get by playing
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kilcosu wrote: »

I hope I provided some insight, but overall it's just experience and knowledge you get by playing

Very much and thanks.....so now lemme ask, do you see WW being played, in other than all WW meme groups and such. Reckon the skill will be taken seriously now? Cuz it does hit hard so not sure why you would want to pass on it other than simply not liking WW, which is fine. ;)
    One can but hope.
  • Wolfchild07
    Wolfchild07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're doing casual PvE then you can have alot of fun with builds like stacking Grothdarr, Ashen Grip, and red Mountain sets, which will work both in and out of werewolf form. I mostly do casual PvE myself. You can come up with some really fun proc set stacking for cool effects. I used to run Ilambris + Embershield + Storm Master, but ZOS killed my fun with that build when they nerfed/changed/whatever you wanna call it, Ilambris stacking fire and lightning together.

Lots of fun to be had for sure, look around.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can do both, you can simply use WW as a decent ulti, or you can focus and build into WW with the intention of maining it for the character.

I advise strongly the later, to get the most out of WW, otherwise the damage will be sub optimal. Always with the proviso that out of WW form, yes the character must still pull reasonable dps - Creating such a character is entirely possible.

I chose Stamsorc, mainly due to the passive buffs to damage that apply as a WW. Also because the survivability of a Stamsorc out of WW form is good, and several of the skills carry over into your WW form until they run out.

My WW set up is pretty standard I think...

2 Molag Kena
    5 Relequen
    5 Blood Moon

-Wpns sharpened
    -Jewlery bloodthirsty and wpn damage

CP is fairly standard for stam dps with some important changes, one of the most important being investing in Light/Heavy attack damage and Direct Damage, more than usual.

This works great and is awesome fun, all the sets provide increased damage and dps via light attacks, which as a WW of course are doing the majority of the time.

Id also consider Tzogvin and Briarheart.

• Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joxer61

This is the basis for my build, from t3hasiangod, it also provides info on some alternative set ups. Xynode, Alcast and Hacktheminataur also have good builds, but I prefer my set up.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=tGvg8kI5mQA
    Edited by Grianasteri on June 1, 2020 9:44AM
  • Mr_Wolfe
    Mr_Wolfe
    ✭✭✭

As others have said, a lot of it comes down to practice and knowing how far away your next meal is--as well as getting a feel for how long you can go between feedings. Feral Pounce/Carnage is great for maintaining timer because dealing damage with either adds 1 second of WW time--though I'm not sure whether Feral Carnage triggers that on every damage tick, or just the first one. The Blood Rage passive also gives you timer back when you deal damage, so in theory you can maintain wolf form indefinitely as you don't run out of things to fight. Just remember to back up and pounce if you start to get low.

A few extra tips:
    • Keeping werewolf form throughout a dungeon usually involves rushing from fight to fight, so it's not the best option if you haven't done that dungeon before and want to actually experience the quest/story.
    • Try not to loot enemies until you're ready to leave an area, and prioritize feeding on enemies that don't have loot. The bodies that do will stick around longer so if there's a talky bit or something you have to wait for (looking at you, Moongrave Fane :p ) you can keep your timer up by feeding on 1 enemy at a time. I've found it's best to let it drop a little above halfway before each feeding, and make sure to let the entire animation finish to get the most duration out of your snack break.
    • This can also be helpful for dungeons where you have to double back. (Ie: Direfrost Keep) Leave some lootable bodies behind and with luck they'll still be there to feed on when you come back. Just be careful about doing that if you're farming for gear, as sometimes the bodies will despawn and you'll lose whatever items were in them.
    • Make sure to put some champion points into sprint cost reduction, so you can hang back and finish feeding, then sprint to catch up with the group without using up all your stamina. If the dungeon/trial has a long talky section you have to sit through before you can start the next fight (again, Moongrave Fane), let someone run ahead and get that started while you feed on the last batch of bodies.
    • The best morph for learning how to use werewolf right now is Pack Leader. You'll lose your light attack bleeds and the AoE heavy attack, but you'll take less damage and your timer will last 40% longer. In fact, with the Pack Leader's direwolves now counting for the Call of the Pack passive, all you need is a Pack Leader and one other werewolf in your group to max out your timer.
    • There are 'Burst Wolf' builds that use the transformation as a short-term boost, but those are mainly PvP oriented since they have good burst damage but lower overall DPS. The trick is to build your character so you can stay on the defensive and let your opponent(s) use up their resources trying to kill you, then pop wolf and burn them down before they can recover. Stam DK using Sword & Shield and a two-hander works well for this.