The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Gem turn in for the daily ESO+ rewards

TropicsDelight
TropicsDelight
✭✭✭
This is one thing I really wish we had. There are a lot of potions, poisons, scrolls, and food that I get that I have little use for and it would be nice to be able to convert them to gems to open up the bag/bank space without having to destroy an orange item. It can be a minor amount of gems, even 1 gem for a stack of poison or an exp scroll would be enough that I would be happy to convert them.

Even the orange character bound items we get during leveling could potentially qualify, it is the opposite of P2W as we are taking in game items that affect character performance and converting them into gems for cosmetics. There are so many of those items in my inventory just taking up bag space and they are character bound so I cannot even bank them..

This would give ESO+ members access to some free gems without having to spend their ESO+ crowns on crates.

If anything once people get some gems stored up and get close to a gem purchase they want it would probably actually encourage some people to get a crate or 4 to get the remaining gems they need for an item once they get close to the amount they need.
  • mikejezz
    mikejezz
    ✭✭✭✭
    That means zenimax will lose money. By having gems bring able to get other places than just crates will make them worth less and people could be hesitant to buy crates.

It would be consumer friendly, but whyd you expect zenimax to be that? Especially after having a mediocre horse as 500 gems for a limited time.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mikejezz wrote: »
    That means zenimax will lose money. By having gems bring able to get other places than just crates will make them worth less and people could be hesitant to buy crates.

^This.^
  • TropicsDelight
    TropicsDelight
    ✭✭✭
    mikejezz wrote: »

It would be consumer friendly, but whyd you expect zenimax to be that? Especially after having a mediocre horse as 500 gems for a limited time.

Keep in mind it is the paying customers that would benefit from this. It would be ESO+ exclusive and another selling point to push people to actually pay for the game instead of F2P it.

Plus I don't think this would reduce crate sales. Once people get some gems and get used to buying things from the gem store they will get more inclined to want to continue doing that. If you combine this with a proper itemization of the crown store and crates such as adding many more hairstyles as people keep asking for you end up in a situation where people need more gems then those trickling in to get all of the stuff they want.

The first taste is free if you will, the next will cost you once you are hooked.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gem turn in is for crate items. Daily rewards are not crate items. If they wanted to give us gems, they could sprinkle a few in for daily rewards, but the intention is not to just convert everything you don't want into gems every day.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure this is why they stopped giving out free crates, and starting introducing very expensive gem exclusive items. Players were building up enough gems from freebies that they were able to get all the things they wanted without buying any crates. (I still have almost 300 gems left over and I didn't even get all the free crates.)

Also you should probably make it clearer in your initial post that this would only be available to people with ESO+. I know you said it would save subscribers having to buy crates with their subscription crowns, but other than it reads like it would be open to everyone, which would definitely lose ZOS money.

Wait, I see the confusion. I don't know where this reoccurring misconception comes from but the daily login rewards are not ESO+ exclusive. They're available to absolutely everyone with an ESO account, even if you only own the base game. That's why they're not mentioned as one of the benefits you get on the ESO+ page on the store: https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/store/product/eso_plus

So yeah, this would give all players a regular, free supply of crown gems every month. I haven't taken the time to add up how many gems you'd get in a typical month, but I doubt it would take long to save up enough for a few nice items. Even if exchanging them for gems was restricted to subscribers what's to stop someone saving up all their login reward items and then buying a subscription to convert them all to gems in one go?
    Edited by Danikat on May 26, 2020 3:14PM
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • MagicalLija
    MagicalLija
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gem turn in is for crate items. Daily rewards are not crate items. If they wanted to give us gems, they could sprinkle a few in for daily rewards, but the intention is not to just convert everything you don't want into gems every day.

I miss the days when they would give us like 1-4 crown crates a month.

Just look at this: unknown.png