The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Leaders of each race/faction

jd24
jd24
✭✭✭
Who are the race/faction leaders in eso currently?
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This one is Leader of Khajiit sleekness on PC-NA, across all factions.
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Breton (also Daggerfall Covenant) - High King Emeric
    Redguard - King Fahara'jad
    Orc - King Kurog

Orsinium DLC spoilers:
    At the end of the Orsinium questline, King Kurog is replaced by King Bazrag.

Nord (also Ebonheart Pact) - Jorunn the Skald-King
    Dunmer - the Tribunal (Almalexia, Sotha Sil, and Vivec)
    Argonian - no central political leader, but you might say they're led by the Hist as a unifying force

Altmer (also Aldmeri Dominion) - Queen Ayrenn
    Bosmer - King Camoran Aeradan
    Khajiit - the Mane

AD main quest spoilers:
    The Mane at the beginning of the AD questline is Akkhuz-ri. After he steps down, the Vestige chooses either Shazah or Khali to become the new Mane.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Nomadic_Atmoran
    Nomadic_Atmoran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I made this list I did not expect it to be this long. Just thought the typical answers was a bit too simple. So I compiled a list of leaders and notable members of the alliances. This took far longer than I actually expected, but some of these lists may be incomplete or still need to be fleshed out by ZOS. The following information may contain spoilers.

The Ebonheart Pact:

Nord: High King Jorunn, Leader of the Ebonheart Pact
    Dunmer: General Yeveth Normaril, Dunmer Leader of the Ebonheart Pact
    Argonian: Eyes-of-Steel, Argonian Leader of the Ebonheart Pact

Other Notable Ebonheart Pact Leaders and Members:

Nord: General Jeggord, Cyrodiil Campaign
    Nord: General Braning, Commander of the Southern Morrowind Gate, Cyrodiil
    Nord: General Kora Greatstorm, Possibly one Jorunns Military Advisors
    Nord: Prince Irnskar, Heir to the throne of Eastern Skyrim
    Nord: Holgunn One-Eye, Commander in the Ebonheart Pact
    Nord: Vicecanon Hrondar, Nord Representative for the Ebonheart Pact in Stormhold (Killed at Battle of Ten-Maur-Wolk)
    Dunmer: Mother Almalexia, Living Goddess of the Tribunal*
    Dunmer: Lord Vivec, Living God of the Tribunal*
    Dunmer: Wizard-Mystic Sotha Sil, Living God of the Tribunal**
    Dunmer: Grand Warlord Zimmeron, Commanding Officer of Cyrodiil Campaign
    Dunmer: Grandmaster Omin Dres, Leader of House Dres
    Dunmer: Grandmaster Tanval Indoril, Leader of House Indoril (Killed at the Tormented Spire)
    Dunmer: High Councilor Meriath, Supreme Leader of House Redoran, Vvardenfell
    Dunmer: Vicecanon Servyna, Dunmer Representative for the Ebonheart Pact in Stormhold
    Dunmer: Thrush, Leader of the Hidden Armigers, Ebonheart Pacts Intelligence Network
    Dunmer: General Vayne Redoran, Commander, Vivec Garrison (Not seen in game, Remands Captain Rana to Court Martial)
    Dunmer: Gavyrn Redoran, Tal'Deic Fortress Commander (Killed by Maulborn Cultists)
    Argonian: General Dar-Liurz, Cyrodiil Campaign
    Argonian: Walks-in-Ash, Ebonheart Pact Commander and Healer (Founding Member of the Ebonheart Pact)
    Argonian: Vicecanon Heita-Meen, Argonian Representative for the Ebonheart Pact in Stormhold (Leader of the Shellbacks, responsible for the Argonian participation in the Second Akaviri Invasion.)

We have not seen all of the regions of the Ebonheart Pact and so we are still missing a sizeable number of leaders including the High Councilor of House Hlaalu and the EP representatives from Thornmash and the zone previously known as Murkmire.

*Almalexia and Vivec, according to in-game dialogue, in some way shape or form participated in the creation or the events leading up to the creation of the Ebonheart Pact. As of 2E 582 these two have returned to whatever matters Gods may preoccupy themselves with and left the politics and administrating of the alliance to their lessers.
    **While Sotha Sil may be a member of the Tribunal, he is only on this list because of his status within the Dunmer society. In-game dialogue and books/papers regarding the Ebonheart Pact and events leading up to its creation indicate Sotha Sil was not involved. Which means he is not an active leader or recognized member of the alliance.

The Daggerfall Covenant:

Breton: High-King Emeric, Leader of the Daggerfall Covenant
    Redguard: King Fahara'jad, Redguard Leader of the Daggerfall Covenant
    Orsimer: King Kurog, Orsimer Leader of the Daggerfall Covenant (Killed in Wrothgar)*

Other Notable Daggerfall Covenant Leaders and Members:

Breton: King Casimir Deleyn, King of Daggerfall
    Breton: Grand Warlord Dortene, Commander of the Cyrodiil Campaign
    Breton: General Gautier, Lion Guard
    Breton: General Mandin, Lion Guard
    Breton: Duke Sebastion of Camlorn
    Breton: Commander Marone Ales, Lion Guard
    Breton: Duke Nathaniel, Lord of Alcaire Castle
    Breton: Sir Hughes, Knight and Leader of the Knights of the Flame (Killed/Arrested for the murder of Duchess Lakana)
    Breton: Sir Edmund, Knight and Current Leader of the Knights of the Flame
    Breton: Countess Eselde Tamrith, member of the Rivenspire Triumvirate
    Breton: Baron Alard Dorell, Lord of Northpoint, member of the Rivenspire Triumvirate
    Breton: Baron Wylon Montclair, member of the Rivenspire Triumvirate (Killed at the Battle of the Doomcrag for Treason)
    Breton: Duke Renchant, Brother of the now deceased King Eamond (Traitor to the Crown)
    Breton: Queen Arzhela, Ruler of Evermore, Cousin to King Emeric
    Breton: Knight Commander Cheryline, Knight of the Order of Saint Pellin
    Breton: Darien Gautier, Lion Guard
    Breton: General Serien, Commander of Daggerfall Covenant Invasion Force in Stonefalls (Killed at Fort Virak)
    Breton: Lord General Averos, Lion Guard (Not seen in game, Orders written by character instructing necromancer Severin Charnis to join General Serien on his military campaign into Stonefalls)
    Breton: General Vette, Commander of Army at Bleakrock and Bal Foyen (Killed at Bal Foyen Docks)
    Redguard: Prince Azah, Heir to King Fahara'jad
    Redguard: General Am-Shadal, Cyrodiil Campaign
    Redguard: General Thoda, Commander of Redguard Army at Alcaire Castle Gates.
    Redguard: Queen Maraya, Wife of King Emeric (Campaigns to keep DC strong after Duchess Lakanas, her sister, death)
    Redguard: Count Hosni at-Tura, Nobleman, Leader of the smuggler gang Midnight Union
    Redguard: Copper Dariah, Leader of the Ring of Daggers, Daggerfall Covenant Intelligence Network
    Orsimer: General Khamagash, Cyrodiil Campaign
    Orsimer: General Godrun Murtag, Leader of the Murtag Clan
    Orsimer: Forge-Mother Alga, King Kurogs Mother, Mage, Kings Advisor**
    Altmer: Count Verandis Ravenwatch, Lord of Ravenwatch Castle

* Following Kurogs death it is believed that the Orcs are no longer participants in the Daggerfall Covenant. Considering the history between the Bretons, Redguards and Orsimer the fate of the Orsimer and Orsinium following Kurogs death is uncertain at this time.
    * * While Forge-Mother Algas membership in the Covenant is not apparent. Her position as her sons advisor and counsel indicates she is likely heavily involved with any decisions he makes in regards to the alliance and the war in Cyrodiil.

Note: The Aldmeri Dominion list may be incomplete or incorrect due to the ambiguity of ranks within their society. Canonreeve and Battlereeve do not appear to mean just one rank or in some cases a rank at all. A canonreeve can be a leader and administrator of something as large as a city or region or something as small as a village. It is sometimes used in regards to agents of the Thalmor.

The First Aldmeri Dominion:

Altmer: Queen Ayrenn Arana Aldmeri, Leader of the Aldmeri Dominion
    Bosmer: King Camoran Aeradan, Bosmer Leader of the Aldmeri Dominion
    Khajiit: Mane Akkhuz-ri, Khajiit Leader of the Aldmeri Dominion*

Other Notable Aldmeri Dominion Leaders and Members:

Altmer: Proxy Queen Alwinarwe, Regent ruler of Alinor, Cousin to Queen Ayrenn
    Altmer: Prince Naemon, Brother of Queen Ayrenn (Traitor to the Throne)
    Altmer: Canonreeve Nesaranwe, Vulkhel Guard Administrator
    Altmer: High Kinlord Rilis XIII, Firsthold Administrator, Leader of the First Auridon Marines
    Altmer: Battlereeve Urcelmo, Commander in the First Auridon Marines, Queens Military Advisor
    Altmer: Battlereeve Tanerline, Commander in the Aldmeri Dominion
    Altmer: General Marenil, Commander of the Western Elsweyr Gate
    Altmer: Grand Warlord Sorcalin, Commanding Officer of the Cyrodiil Campaign
    Altmer: Ruuvitar, Commander of Aldmeri Dominion Invasion Forces in Shadowfen, Alchemist (Killed at Loriasel)
    Altmer: Battlereeve Alduril, Commander of Aldmeri Dominion Troops on Tempest Island
    Bosmer: General Nedras, Commander of the Aldmeri Dominion Forces in the Imperial City
    Bosmer: Silvenar Edhelorn, Bosmer Religious Leader, Ambassador for the Aldmeri Dominion (Killed on Khenarthis Roost)
    Bosmer: Silvenar Indaenir, Bosmer Religious Leader following the death of Edhelorn
    Bosmer: Green Lady Finoriell, wife of Silvenar Edhelorn, Silvenars Protector
    Bosmer: Green Lady Gwaering, wife of Indaenir, Silvenars Protector, niece of Finoriell
    Bosmer: General Thoron, Cyrodiil Campaign
    Khajiit: General Atahba, Cyrodiil Campaign
    Khajiit: Razum-dar, Leader of the Eyes of the Queen, Aldmeri Dominions Intelligence Network
    Khajiit: Lunar Champion Khali, Possible Mane, Twin sister of Shazah
    Khajiit: Lunar Champion Shazah, Possible Mane, Twin sister of Khali

*Akkhuz-ri would eventually be corrupted by dark magic utilized by Javad Tharn, a worshipper of Molag Bal and leader of an invading Imperial Army in the border region of Elsweyr and Valenwood. Akkhuz-ri would give up his position as the Mane.

Edited by Nomadic_Atmoran on February 13, 2020 11:29PM
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry - Laerinel Rhaev - Enrerion - Caius Berilius - Seylina Ithvala - Signa Squallrider - H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Yynril Rothvani - Tenarei Rhaev - Bathes-In-Coin - Dazsh Ro Khar - Aredyhel - Reads-To-Frogs - Azjani Ma'Les
    Kheshna gra-Gharbuk - Gallisten Bondurant - Aban Shahid Bakr - Etain Maquier - Atsu Kalame - Faulpia Severinus
  • jd24
    jd24
    ✭✭✭
    When I made this list I did not expect it to be this long. Just thought the typical answers was a bit too simple. So I compiled a list of leaders and notable members of the alliances. This took far longer than I actually expected, but some of these lists may be incomplete or still need to be fleshed out by ZOS.

This is awesome. Thank you!
  • Nomadic_Atmoran
    Nomadic_Atmoran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Updated the list as I have found writings from 2 generals not seen in game.
    Korith Eaglecry - Laerinel Rhaev - Enrerion - Caius Berilius - Seylina Ithvala - Signa Squallrider - H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Yynril Rothvani - Tenarei Rhaev - Bathes-In-Coin - Dazsh Ro Khar - Aredyhel - Reads-To-Frogs - Azjani Ma'Les
    Kheshna gra-Gharbuk - Gallisten Bondurant - Aban Shahid Bakr - Etain Maquier - Atsu Kalame - Faulpia Severinus
  • Aristocles22
    Aristocles22
    ✭✭✭
    I should point out that the Mane is only the spiritual leader of the Khajiit. The Speaker (Lord Garash-Ri) is the real leader; we even see his projection along with the various kings and queens when Mannimarco shows them bowing before him in a egotistical display. Also keep in mind that the local leaders have considerable autonomy in Elsweyr.
    Edited by Aristocles22 on February 16, 2020 9:00AM
  • Nomadic_Atmoran
    Nomadic_Atmoran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I should point out that the Mane is only the spiritual leader of the Khajiit. The Speaker (Lord Garash-Ri) is the real leader; we even see his projection along with the various kings and queens when Mannimarco shows them bowing before him in a egotistical display. Also keep in mind that the local leaders have considerable autonomy in Elsweyr.

As far as I can tell there is no one above the Mane as far as leadership goes. Garesh-ri is nothing more than a mouth-piece for the Mane. Obviously being the Speaker is going to garner you a great deal of power and respect when your word is basically taken as directly coming from the Mane whether it was his/her position or not. Lord Gareshi-ri will tell you himself that he was dispatched to Northern Elsweyr as the Mane was too busy with other matters.

When you meet Garesh-ri in Norther Elsweyr his dialogue changes based on your previous interactions. If you met him before in the AD storyline his response to you is:

"When Abnur Tharn spoke of a hero of renown, I had no idea he was referring to you. It's so good to see you again, though I wish the circumstances were not so dire.
    Well, you helped the Mane before. I have no doubt you will do so again."

And when asked if the Mane is in Northern Elsweyr his response is this:

"No. Matters in other parts of Elsweyr occupy the Mane right now. That's why I'm here.
    I originally arrived to take charge of the Northern Elsweyr Defense Force. Efforts to expel the usurper Euraxia Tharn were well underway when the Dragons appeared."

In both instances he is implying that the Mane has more authority and that he is doing the bidding of the Mane.

And Mannimarcos choice of representation for the Khajiit says more about his lack of knowledge about the Khajiiti people than it does about the Speakers authority.
  • Aristocles22
    Aristocles22
    ✭✭✭

As far as I can tell there is no one above the Mane as far as leadership goes. Garesh-ri is nothing more than a mouth-piece for the Mane. Obviously being the Speaker is going to garner you a great deal of power and respect when your word is basically taken as directly coming from the Mane whether it was his/her position or not. Lord Gareshi-ri will tell you himself that he was dispatched to Northern Elsweyr as the Mane was too busy with other matters.

When you meet Garesh-ri in Norther Elsweyr his dialogue changes based on your previous interactions. If you met him before in the AD storyline his response to you is:

"When Abnur Tharn spoke of a hero of renown, I had no idea he was referring to you. It's so good to see you again, though I wish the circumstances were not so dire.

"No. Matters in other parts of Elsweyr occupy the Mane right now. That's why I'm here.
    I originally arrived to take charge of the Northern Elsweyr Defense Force. Efforts to expel the usurper Euraxia Tharn were well underway when the Dragons appeared."

In both instances he is implying that the Mane has more authority and that he is doing the bidding of the Mane.

And Mannimarcos choice of representation for the Khajiit says more about his lack of knowledge about the Khajiiti people than it does about the Speakers authority.

The lore seems inconsistent at points, but the Mane was only ever called the spiritual leader, and we never see the Mane actually doing much of anything when it comes to actually leading. The Mane is probably occupied with matters involving religion, rather than much that is political. So my point about the Speaker holding the real power still stands, like the PM of the United Kingdom as opposed to the King or Queen, even if the UK's government is still technically "his/her majesty's government". I'm quite certain Mannimarco wasn't making any mistakes when it came to political power; he's far too intelligent for that.
    Edited by Aristocles22 on February 18, 2020 8:04AM
  • slicksteezin
    slicksteezin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nord - Travis fimmel
    Redguard - LeBron James
    High elf - Alexandria Ofraudio Cortez
    Breton - Patrick stewart
    Argonian - Rosie "beefcakes" O'Donnell
  • Nomadic_Atmoran
    Nomadic_Atmoran
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The lore seems inconsistent at points, but the Mane was only ever called the spiritual leader, and we never see the Mane actually doing much of anything when it comes to actually leading. The Mane is probably occupied with matters involving religion, rather than much that is political. So my point about the Speaker holding the real power still stands, like the PM of the United Kingdom as opposed to the King or Queen, even if the UK's government is still technically "his/her majesty's government". I'm quite certain Mannimarco wasn't making any mistakes when it came to political power; he's far too intelligent for that.

So your argument is that the lore is inconsistent except when it favors your position?
  • MaisonNaevius
    MaisonNaevius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Empire of Cyrodiil

Imperial - Tharn Clivia (Empress-Regent)
    Imperial - Tharn Abnur (Chancellor)
    Imperial - Lovidicus (Chief Councilor)
    Imperial ? - Abor (Councilor)
    Imperial - Faleria (Councilor)
    Imperial ? - Itinia (Councilor)
    Imperial ? - Jirich (Councilor)
    Imperial - Vandacia (Councilor)
    Altmer - Mannimarco (Advisor)

Imperial - Axius Lavinia (General of the Legion of the West Weald)
    Imperial - Nipia (General of second Legion)
    Imperial - Quintilius (General of colovian army in 2E 565)
    Imperial - Raetus (General of a Legion)
    Imperial - Renmus Meric (General of the thirteenth Legion)
    Imperial - Tharn Septima (Magus General of seventh Legion)
    Imperial - Velarius (General of a Legion)

Imperial - Antias (Prefect of Cropsford)
    Imperial - Aquilarios Carolus (Count of Kvatch)
    Imperial - Benirus Ephrem (Count of Anvil)
    Imperial - Calantius (Count of Skingrad)
    Imperial - Charonius (maybe count of Sutch ?)
    Imperial - Doran (former Prefect of Chorrol)
    Imperial - Voteporix Opius (maybe count of Cheydinhal ?)

Imperial - Ambustus Frontarius (Ancient commandant of the imperial Legion)
    Imperial - Ancrus Vesnentia (Centurion of the thriteenth Legion)
    Imperial - Antistia Zonara (Centurion scout of the fourth Legion)
    Imperial - Apinia Jena (Desertor captain)
    Imperial - Atilus (Sergeant of the Legion of the West Weald)
    Imperial - Attius (Commander of the seventh Legion)
    Imperial - Bodenius (Centurion of the seventh Legion)
    Imperial - Calo (Prefect of the Cygnus Irregulars)
    Imperial - Carina (Major of the seventh Legion)
    Imperial - Candidus (Captain of the seventh Legion - second cohort)
    Imperial - Caudex Anatolius (Captain and survivor in the Nobles District)
    Imperial - Cipius Marcius (Captain of the seventh Legion)
    Imperial - Cornelia Midara (Optio in the second Legion)
    Imperial - Corvinus (Lieutenant of the seventh Legion - maybe second cohort)
    Imperial - Corvus Valoria (Desertor captain in Cyrodiil imperial outpost)
    Imperial - Drusus (Captain in Cyrodiil)
    Imperial - Falixia (Centurion of the Cygnus Irregulars)
    Imperial - Festius (Colonel of the Legion of the West Weald - cohort of Vlastarus)
    Imperial - Fidenas (Imperial Major)
    Imperial - Fortis Lucina (Captain and concurrent of Dragonstar arena)
    Imperial - Fulvianus (Centurion of the fifth Legion)
    Imperial - Gallus (Legate in Imperial City)
    Imperial - Gavo (Centurion of the Legion of the West Weald)
    Imperial - Gemelle (Captain of the seventh Legion)
    Imperial - Graccus (Commander of the Legion of the West Weald)
    Imperial - Hadérus Gavo (Ancient lieutenant and friend of Anatolius Caudex)
    Imperial - Helenus (Captain of the seventh Legion - maybe second cohort)
    Imperial - Invel Jano (Ancient battemage and instructor of Forsaken Citadel)
    Imperial - Lampronius (Captain of the fifth Legion)
    Imperial - Laurentia (Imperial ambassador in Highrock)
    Imperial - Midara (Killed captain in Imperial City)
    Imperial - Musius (Desertor commander of the second Legion)
    Imperial - Ocella Iunius (Aide-de-camp of the general Axius of the Legion of the West Weald)
    Imperial - Oranius (Centurion of the colovian army in 2E 565)
    Imperial - Papus (Commander ? battlemage of the seventh Legion)
    Imperial - Peltrasius Aquila (Ancient commander of Forsaken Citadel)
    Imperial - Pera (Probably died lieutenant on Cyrodiil)
    Imperial - Priscus (Captain in Cyrodiil)
    Imperial - Regilus (Captain in Imperial City)
    Imperial - Renmus Aeliah (Aide-de-camp of the general Renmus of the thirteenth Legion)
    Imperial - Rogano (Centurion in the second Legion)
    Imperial - Sanga (Sergeant of the colovian army in 2E 565)
    Imperial - Scipio Quatrius (Commander ? of the second Legion)
    Imperial - Secundus Sadas (Commander of the second Legion)
    Imperial - Siro (Captain of the seventh Legion)
    Imperial - Solinthia (Centurion of the second Legion)
    Khajiit - Ululmalit (Captain of the imperial city prison)
    Imperial - Varro Panthius (Commander of the seventh Legion)
    Imperial - Virgilus (Captain in Cyrodiil)
    Imperial - Vitulasius (Ancient centurion in Forsaken Citadel)
    Imperial - Volso (Captain of the colovian army in 2E 565)
    Imperial - Voteporix (Lieutenant of the seventh Legion - maybe second cohort)
    Imperial - Weston (Ancient commander in Forsaken Citadel)
    > Wiki spécialisé sur Cyrodiil / en cour de rédaction <
    https://tescyrodiipedia.blogspot.com/

> Cyrodiil de l'Info <
    https://cyrodiildelinfo.blogspot.com/

- Naevius-
  • Aristocles22
    Aristocles22
    ✭✭✭

So your argument is that the lore is inconsistent except when it favors your position?

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that the lore is inconsistent no matter what my position is, but a path can be drawn from it based on what the characters say. When there's a contradiction, look for what can reconcile it or can provide context which makes it make sense. The politically adept Mannimarco, who was shrewd enough at politics to accompany the emperor, showed the Speaker as the Khajiiti leader, alongside figures such as King Jorunn, High King Emeric, Quenn Ayrenn, etc. This would imply that the Speaker is on the same level as they are relative to their respective race. Furthermore, such a depiction comes from a reasonably reliable source on this matter, seeing as how Mannimarco was not only well-educated, politically astute, and clearly aware of what he was doing when he cast that image. At another point, we hear - repeatedly- that the Mane is only the spiritual leader of the Khajiit, and that while the Speaker for the Mane serves the Mane, this is only in the sense that a Prime Minister in a Constitutional monarchy actually "serves" the monarch while actually being the one in charge. To reinforce my point further, at no point do we actually see the Mane running the country or checking in on local governments in Elsweyr; the speaker does that.

I repeat, the Mane's duties are spiritual, which is actually a very big deal in a setting with objectively-confirmed gods and spirits, even more so in Elsweyr, which takes spiritualism very seriously. I'd be very surprised if the Mane even had time to deal with political affairs. The original version of the Mane didn't in earlier lore; that version had so much fur that he couldn't be seen through it, apart from maybe his snout. Kitty has to breath, after all. I doubt such a heavily-weighted cat person could attend to politics much. Thank God they change that bit of lore.
    Edited by Aristocles22 on May 3, 2020 11:25AM
  • PrinceShroob
    PrinceShroob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With regard to the Mane's versus the Speaker's authority, it's worth noting that Shazah, a candidate for the position of Mane, says that Akkuz-ri "always deferred to Gharesh-ri in political matters" and that the Speaker "does most of the actual governing." Notably, the Mane did not sign the document creating the Aldmeri Dominion, but the Speaker did. Khamira, a personal spy, the equivalent to Ayrenn's Eyes of the Queen, is an agent of the Speaker, specifically, not the Mane.

I should note that there is no dialogue explicitly stating that Akkuz-ri did not sign the Elden Accord while Gharesh-ri did, but that seems to be the tenor of Shazah's comment on the matter. The fact that Akkuz-ri was present for the signing but did not actually sign the Accord is telling, I think.
    Edited by PrinceShroob on March 14, 2020 12:12PM
  • Aristocles22
    Aristocles22
    ✭✭✭
    With regard to the Mane's versus the Speaker's authority, it's worth noting that Shazah, a candidate for the position of Mane, says that Akkuz-ri "always deferred to Gharesh-ri in political matters" and that the Speaker "does most of the actual governing." Notably, the Mane did not sign the document creating the Aldmeri Dominion, but the Speaker did. Khamira, a personal spy, the equivalent to Ayrenn's Eyes of the Queen, is an agent of the Speaker, specifically, not the Mane.

I should note that there is no dialogue explicitly stating that Akkuz-ri did not sign the Elden Accord while Gharesh-ri did, but that seems to be the tenor of Shazah's comment on the matter. The fact that Akkuz-ri was present for the signing but did not actually sign the Accord is telling, I think.

Thank you. Yes, it appears the Speaker is really in charge of the Khajiit, insofar as they actually follow laws in Elsweyr.

So, let's see if I can make a list of the top leaders during the game, not including kings of subordinate kingdoms (I make an exception for Valenwood because there's no other figure which could fit there), nobles (counts, barons, dukes, treethanes, orc chiefs, jarls, kinlords, councilors, etc) or generals who may have significant power:

Dunmer: The Tribunal (Vivec, Almalexia, Sotha Sil)
    Nords: Skald-King Jorunn (Eastern Skyrim) and High King Svargrim (Western Skyrim)
    Altmer: Queen Ayrenn
    Bretons: High King Emeric
    Bosmer: King Camoran Aeradan
    Khajiit: Speaker Gharesh-ri
    Argonians: No single leader (the highest-ranked we see is likely Chief Raj-Kaal Seelan of the Dead-Water Tribe, but he only rules one tribe.)
    Imperials: Empress-Regent Clivia Tharn (nominally), Mannimarco (de facto until a certain point in the main quest)
    Orcs: King Kurog (until he dies in combat), King Bazrag (after Kurog dies).
    Redguards: King Faharajad (ruler of Sentinel if not the Alik'r Desert)

As for the Reachmen, they have no single overarching government any more than the Argonians do. The Maormer are also led by the unseen King Orgnum, IIRC. Also note that the Mane is important for the Khajiit, Green Lady, Wilderking/Queen and the Silvenar are important local figures for the Bosmer, and that Prince Irnskar (assuming the moot approves, or else he might just inherit the title of Jarl of Eastmarch) and Azah are set to take over their father's thrones one day.
    Edited by Aristocles22 on May 28, 2020 1:06PM
  • Demnvath
    Demnvath
    ✭✭✭
    One common misconception about dunmers' rulers is about understanding their political hierarchy.

Technically ALSMIVI has a spiritual power over the Dunmers, a religious power. ALMSIVI reigns as a god.

On the other hand, temporal power is not fully in charge of ALMSIVI. Dunmers are structured into Great Houses which were once clans/tribes (like Ashlanders have). Today they are rather considered as political parties with heavy independance from ALMSIVI. If ALMSIVI reigns as a god (or three gods), the country is ruled by Great Houses. Indeed Morrowind is not a realm nor a kingdom nor anything like a structured State. Great Houses' temporal power is even expressed in different ways depending on which house we're talking about.
    It's such an independant state that allowed Great House Telvanni to say no to the Ebonheart Pact and no to joining it for example; while remaining an active element of the political landscape of Morrowind.

Saying ALMSIVI is the ruler of Morrowind is not false, but isn't complete. Each Great House have a Grand Master, a Council, Ambassadors, and all five Great Houses meet on a regular basis in some kind of a Great Council. However, they are not united at all, and often are in conflict, sometimes at war. In the game you can often see members of different Great Houses fight to death on Vvardenfell.

To avoid Great Houses from destroying themselves, the Morag Tong exists. The legal assassins are an institution whose vocation is to hover the threat over Great Houses rulers in order to retain some order.

And finally, Ashlanders don't recognize ALMSIVI nor the Great Houses, and all tribes meet and sometimes ally. Each tribe have a Khan, a Mabrigash (a wise-woman), and a council of warriors.

Thus there are several rulers in Morrowind with different roles:

- ALMSIVI (Alma, Sil, Vehk) has a spiritual power and some temporal authority (ordinators, armigers, ...). The Temple of ALMSIVI hierarchy is sprawling, and often composed of nobles from all the five Great Houses.

- Great Houses (Redoran, Hlaalu, Dres, Telvanni, Indoril) have a temporal power, an economic power, can raise armies and have some sort of common council to decide how to react to foreign threats (ALMSIVI can intervene here, too, essentially because without the Hortator the Great Houses can't agree most of the time). Great Houses have different degrees of obedience to ALMSIVI. While Great Houses Redoran and Indoril blindly follow ALMSIVI in each and every matter, Great House Hlaalu often looks at foreign examples, Great House Dres tends to pray the daedra like in the ancient times and Great House Telvanni is often deciding on its own how to consider one or another subject (or not deciding anything since Great House Telvanni internal politics is as complex as the HRE). Great Houses have Grand Masters (or Archmagister for Great House Telvanni).

- Morag Tong is a pressure lever over the Great Houses, and have some "fear power". Its potency is confirmed by the fact that all the Great Houses use the assassins' service at a moment or another to eliminate troublesome rivals. Morag Tong isn't ruled by any of the Great Houses nor by ALMSIVI. It's a religious sect. Morag Tong has a Grand Master.

- Ahslanders have no political power among the others and are not interested in having one. They pray the daedra like the ancient Chimers did. Ashlanders tribes have Khans.

- The Sixth House (Great House Dagoth) has no political power among the others but still exists and has an absolute ruler: Voryn Dagoth (or Dagoth Ur). They want to make Dunmereth great again.
    Edited by Demnvath on May 5, 2020 8:58PM
    Contributeur à la conception de la langue Dunmeri.
  • Nomadic_Atmoran
    Nomadic_Atmoran
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What does defer mean? You don't defer to someone if they are above you or have their own separate power. You defer to someone when you are the authority. A King may defer to his advisors decisions on a matter. A President may defer to his cabinet on a matter. You don't defer to your bosses decision and you don't defer to the decisions of the guy running the other department at your job.

Gharesh-Ri definitely has power in the Khajiit society and does the administrative business of the Khajiiti Kingdom of Elsweyr. But this is like saying the Pope didn't have more power than the Kings during the Medieval and Renaissance periods.
    Edited by Nomadic_Atmoran on May 7, 2020 2:54PM
  • Aristocles22
    Aristocles22
    ✭✭✭
    The Pope didn't have more power than any one king most of the time. All he did was rule over the papal states and exert indirect pressure in the form of the threat of excommunication and indicts. In fact, he didn't have as much power over the church then as he does now; most of the practical power was in the hands of the bishops and abbots. Only in the last few centuries has the pope become more powerful over the church, even as he's lost control of political power.

Also, the "Speaker does most of the actual governing" part should be enough to convince you who is really in charge. I know what the definition of "defer" is, but the game might not have used it quite correctly. It isn't perfect.
    Edited by Aristocles22 on May 11, 2020 12:38PM
  • Aristocles22
    Aristocles22
    ✭✭✭
    Time for a bit of an update, with the Greymoor chapter. Note that things might change again with the DLC late this year. Here are the leaders now. I'll be naming the top leaders of each region, not lesser titles like count, baron, house councilor, chief, or jarl unless said title is the highest. Regions with an unclear leader or unclear status (like Murkmire or Falkreath) will be given their own category or not be counted. Note that there will be some overlap in places. This counts the situation at the most advanced point in-game as released by 5/28/2020, not at the starting point of the game. I'm not including realms of Oblivion or other continents, such as Pyandonea or Akavir. And forgive my spelling.

Alliances: Collections of several countries

Ebonheart Pact: Skald-King Jorunn (Eastern Skyrim, All of Morrowind apart from House Telvanni's holdings, and the Black Marsh regions of Shadowfen and Thornmarsh.)
    Aldmeri Dominon: Quenn Ayrenn (Summerset Isles, Valenwood, and Elsweyr, although the alliances control over the latter is weak at first)
    Daggerfall Covenant: High King Emeric (High Rock and at least part of Hammerfell; Wrothgar was part of the alliance, but it seems to have left when King Kurog died.)

Countries: Note that some rulers can be vassals of other rulers

Eastern Skyrim: Skald-King Jorunn
    Morrowind: The Tribunal (Almalexia, Sotha Sil, Vivec)
    Wrothgar: King Bazrag (unlike King Kurog, Bazrag never entered the Daggerfall Covenant, so Wrothgar likely isn't a part of it)
    Summerset Isles: Queen Ayrenn (she left Summerset itself under the command of her cousin Proxy Queen Alwinare).
    High Rock: High King Emeric
    Valenwood: King Aeredan Cameron (subject to Queen Ayrenn)
    Elsweyr: Speaker Gharesh-Ri (the Mane is the spiritual leader only)
    Hammerfell: King Faharajad (he may be only in charge of Sentinel, but we haven't seen any other kings in Hammerfell)
    Cyrodiil: Unclear (Mannimarco is dead and Empress-Regent Clivia Tharn is a puppet, assuming she's still alive)
    Black Marsh: No single ruler (every village and tribe has its own chief or other leader)

Special Cases: ESO takes place in a time of civil war, breakaway states, and deep division, so some regions which would normally be a part of a larger country aren't

Western Skyrim: None (High King Svargrim is dead and his daughter Svana is at most the Jarl of Haafingar, as there was no moot to give her any higher title)
    Gold Coast: Count Carolus Aquilarios (his rivals are dead and while the Gold Coast is usually a region of Cyrodiil, it has effectively broken off from Cyrodiil for the duration of the Three-Banners war at least.)
    Anequina: Queen Khamira (subject to the Speaker Gharesh-Ri and Queen Ayrenn)
    Pelletine: Unclear (General Renmus may or may not be there by the end, depending on the player's choice)
    The Reach: Unclear but we will probably find out, as the next full DLC will take place there. Odds are, there is no single ruler, as we have seen different tribes with their own leadership. That said, there is a "Despot of Markarth", and he has been described in vague terms in existing material in-game; we know that the despot is a male Reachman, but not much else.

Regional Leaders: Not all are known, and there are some odd cases. Again, there is going to be some overlap. I'm not including every petty lord, mayor, treethane, chief, ashkhan, and kinlord, as they only rule over single settlements.

Alik'r Desert: King Faharajad (at least Sentinel; the exact situation is unclear.)
    Glenumbra: King Casimir (subject to High King Emeric)
    Vvardenfell: Vivec (he is considered the God-King of Vvardenfell)
    Deshaan: Almalexia (at least, we get that impression)
    Clockwork City: Sotha Sil
    Stormhaven: High King Emeric
    Bangkorai: Queen Arzhela (subject to High King Emeric)
    Eastmarch: Skald-King Jorunn
    Rivenspire: King Dorell or Queen Tamrith, depending on the player's choice (subject to High King Emeric)
    Betnikh: Chief Tazgol (he rules over the island, not just a stronghold)
    Stros M'kai: Headman Bhosek
    Murkmire: Chief Raj-Kaal Seelan is in charge of the Naga tribe, and the only other village with a clear leader is the Root-Whisper village, whose leader is either Xukas or Jaxsik-Orrn, depending on the player's choice.

Purely religious figures like Primate Artorius, The two sets of Silvenars and Green Ladies, Archcanon Llevule (basically Vivec's highest priest), the Wilderking/Queen, and the Mane don't actually rule over any territory, but the members of the Tribunal do, with the possible exception of Almalexia.
    Edited by Aristocles22 on May 29, 2020 2:55AM