The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Changes needed for NB

Otiz
Otiz
✭✭
Hi guys.

Been playing this game on and off, and recently came back after a long break.
I have all characters except Necro, but main NB.

After trying multiple build, setups, CP etc. etc. I can conclude that Nightblade is unredeemably behind any other stamina classes (tested a lot of youtube build as well)

Survivability is just really really poor on NB, and the trade off (burst dmg) is not better than any other, I'd even argue that it is worse than quite a few classes.

I mean sure, you cxan 1vX against noobs in Cyradiil. But any half decent PvP'er, or similar skilled player on another class will destroy you. Obviously I have tested my other stamina classes, and on my templar and DK it only confirms that the difference in effort/results is very apparent.

I hate to whine about it, and I know that NB's have had glory days in the past, but as it is, they are so far behind that it is in no way enjoyable to play.

Do you guys see changes coming that will make NB's relevant, or have suggestion to how? Switching main is not a long term solution for me at least, and I don't find it fun to make gank builds.

• jadarock
    jadarock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope they want you to use dswing or snipe get rekt and buy warden/necro ...
  • DTAmoral
    DTAmoral
    ✭✭✭✭
    jadarock wrote: »
    Nope they want you to use dswing or snipe get rekt and buy warden/necro ...

*Hides my Bow, and 2H*

Thats not true :(
    Xbox NA - EP
    Team Rocket's Finest Support
    We are recruiting! Use below link for recruitment!
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/577520/team-rocket-ebonheart-pvp-guild#latest
  • Vietfox
    Vietfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NBs need:
    - Major defile back on Incap.
    - Major Breach/Fracture on Concealed/Surprise attack
    - Their cloak fixed
    - A better Fear
    - Remove cast time on Soul siphon (i'm against all cast times, but this one in particular is pretty stupid since it's a defensive ulti)
  • Vietfox
    Vietfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also they should rework Mark target, right now it's a waste of slot.
  • Sneakers
    Sneakers
    ✭✭✭
    Thats odd, since I face on a daily basis really lethal stamina NBs and mag NBs who deal the most burst damage of any players/classes I face on my 'overpowered' p2w necromancer.

I face many bad NBs who I basically 1 shot but there is a handfull of NBs who can burst me down even during "brp" 'carry' mayor protection going.

Now if these guys have figured out a way to hit ppl for 15k with assassins scourge, incap etc what would happen if NB was buffed?

They would hit ppl for 20k? 25k?

The potential on NB seems to be 'there' to make really OP builds.

These 5-10 NBs I am thinking off are also unkillable since they are tanky and stealth as soon as they get hit more then a couple of times.
  • OWLTHEMAD
    OWLTHEMAD
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sneakers wrote: »
    Thats odd, since I face on a daily basis really lethal stamina NBs and mag NBs who deal the most burst damage of any players/classes I face on my 'overpowered' p2w necromancer.

I face many bad NBs who I basically 1 shot but there is a handfull of NBs who can burst me down even during "brp" 'carry' mayor protection going.

Now if these guys have figured out a way to hit ppl for 15k with assassins scourge, incap etc what would happen if NB was buffed?

These 5-10 NBs I am thinking off are also unkillable since they are tanky and stealth as soon as they get hit more then a couple of times.

The nightblade relies entirely on you making a mistake to get clean burst. This isnt an attack on you btw, everyone makes mistakes, and the nightblade is the 'oppurtunist' class after all, so even in their current gimped state they are better suited to capitalize on even minor mistakes then other classes.

Because of this, in one on one and in the right hands, they are still pretty solid; the problem lies in group play and in being out numbered. A nightblade who can do damage usually doesnt have much in the way of defense, or sustain. This limits them currently to only a couple different playstyles while still being viable in current meta. Usually ganking, or borderline ganking/evasive brawler. You cant really play them effectively without cloak and the more players around the less effective cloak is. The difficulty when facing larger amounts of opponents whether in a group or solo 1vx, increases exponentially with every opponent.

The workable builds you can get with nightblade also mean that you are not very adaptable.

Far too often the most success you can attain on a nightblade is to simply not die. Especially in the tank meta.

Honestly thats the biggest issue though is the tank meta. If you play your necro as a straightup dd, and not as a tanky settup then a nightblade can perform reasonably well, but against tanky builds nightblades just struggle far more than other classes and cant really play that way themselves. Ttk is too high, and nightblades rely on low ttks. Because once your friends show up oh boy were in trouble.

In your case though, by my personal experience i find necros to be the easiest class to hit with a nightblade. I think its just compatibility with the playstyles.

I dont think nightblades need major buffs. You are right, the potential is there, but some really bad design decisions have been made in the past that have just had devastating effects on the class. A few tweaks minor tweaks would go a REALLY long way.

Lower minimum travel time on bowproc, and drop cast time on incap/soulharvest. Thats it. Just those two things could make the whole class feel decent again. You could do that and nothing else and you would get far fewer complaints from us.
  • Joinovikova
    Joinovikova
    ✭✭✭✭
    NB get indirect buff in upcoming patch...
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you enlighten me exactly what that will be ? ;)
  • Otiz
    Otiz
    ✭✭

I'm sure you can build a gank build that can kill anyone. But I am talking about a regular build where you actually play the game.

Even though we say its a tank meta, you will die soo fast on NB that it is insane. Ulties with stuns destroys NB's, and if you go deeper into defense then you don't have killing power. I've tried so many combinations, troll king, ancient dragonguard, more impen, less impen and more well fitted etc. etc. Right now there isn't a NB build that compares to any other Stam class.

Again I discredit gank builds cause those are bad for the game, and I don't see how people get enjoyment out of it.
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would say NB needs better healing, and if not that, better uptime and more access to buffs on damage reduction. The class is doing bad because you can tell the dev team has no direction with it.

They wanted to gut damage+healing, but with the nerfs coming to healing across the board in the next patch, it's no longer necessary in PvP. PvE could have been balanced by making the healing %hp based so that it works better on tanks, works worse on PvE DPS builds, and works decent in PvP if you actually built for it.

But no, ZOS would rather reserve HP% heals for certain classes where it's not actually needed and contributing to their broken state.

Ignoring NB's overall balance because some crappy sets exist locked behind DLC that can make NB too much of a threat is bad game design. Think it's too much? Buff NB and nerf those sets. I am certain no NB running a proc set now will cry about it getting nerfed in exchange for the freedom to use something else.

ZOS keeps claiming they want build diversity, yet they nerf things to the point there is no build diversity and keep targeting unique builds every patch while empowering the meta even further. It's bizarre, but the forums are too most of the time.
  • WacArnold
    WacArnold
    ✭✭✭
    If shadow image was placed where you are looking instead of where you are that would be pretty cool.
    Xbox One - North American - Ebonheart Pact
    Anti-Pop Lv 50 Magicka Nightblade Dark Elf
    WacArnold Lv 50 Magicka Templar Argonian
  • killingspreeb16_ESO
    killingspreeb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

Yeah totally buffed.

Less healing on a class with low healing which mean will be harder to survive.(especially in no-cp)

Bloodspawn and trollking two of the most used set for NB nerfed which also mean even harder to survive.

And the amazing buff that melee heavy attacks from cloak now break your cloak.

Not sure how this is reflect a buff in your eyes but /shrug.

• Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bloodspawn and trollking two of the most used set for NB nerfed which also mean even harder to survive.
    I used Chudan on magblade sometimes. Most of my deaths come from snipers, so I wanted to ensure I had major resolve up 100% of the time, and the extra resistances were nice too. Sadly the 1pc on that is getting nerfed also D:
  • Atherakhia
    Atherakhia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Given the state the Nightblade and some other classes/specs are in, it would really be great if ZOS was more forthcoming on what changes they had coming down the pipe. With them already saying there will be no changes in he near future, and NBs being in this state for well over 6 months already, it's really not an unreasonable request.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    WacArnold wrote: »
    If shadow image was placed where you are looking instead of where you are that would be pretty cool.
    Man, I really like that idea. It would turn it into a Streak-like movement tool, albeit in two GCDs - quite a large penalty when used purely for forward movement - so I wouldn't be worried about it being too OP or overloaded.

Imagine not being on a timer, yet able to port back to a protected platform in IC. So many possibilities! You'd have to think about how it handles elevation, though. There is potential for abuse, if you could port straight up a keep wall. I guess porting forward to a higher elevation would have to be disallowed.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • WacArnold
    WacArnold
    ✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    Man, I really like that idea. It would turn it into a Streak-like movement tool, albeit in two GCDs - quite a large penalty when used purely for forward movement - so I wouldn't be worried about it being too OP or overloaded.

Imagine not being on a timer, yet able to port back to a protected platform in IC. So many possibilities! You'd have to think about how it handles elevation, though. There is potential for abuse, if you could port straight up a keep wall. I guess porting forward to a higher elevation would have to be disallowed.

Yeah there would have to be some limit to elevation. It would be really fun to be able to port around like that.
    Xbox One - North American - Ebonheart Pact
    Anti-Pop Lv 50 Magicka Nightblade Dark Elf
    WacArnold Lv 50 Magicka Templar Argonian
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Otiz wrote: »
    Hi guys.

Been playing this game on and off, and recently came back after a long break.
    I have all characters except Necro, but main NB.

After trying multiple build, setups, CP etc. etc. I can conclude that Nightblade is unredeemably behind any other stamina classes (tested a lot of youtube build as well)

Survivability is just really really poor on NB, and the trade off (burst dmg) is not better than any other, I'd even argue that it is worse than quite a few classes.

I mean sure, you cxan 1vX against noobs in Cyradiil. But any half decent PvP'er, or similar skilled player on another class will destroy you. Obviously I have tested my other stamina classes, and on my templar and DK it only confirms that the difference in effort/results is very apparent.

I hate to whine about it, and I know that NB's have had glory days in the past, but as it is, they are so far behind that it is in no way enjoyable to play.

Do you guys see changes coming that will make NB's relevant, or have suggestion to how? Switching main is not a long term solution for me at least, and I don't find it fun to make gank builds.

Gina has said that there’s no class balance changes this patch sadly. As a nb main I know how you feel new moon acolyte and spriggan potentates back bar 1 mighty chudan 1 blood spawn works for me I like the burst and survivability always shade or los before cloak.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    unknown.png
    Same setup on both tests, thats with master dualwield. Its roughly 30% more dmg on twin slashes compared to surprise attack and thats not even counting in the ~10k dot afterwards on twin slash. Why even bother playing a nightblade or use any class skills for dmg?

PC EU
    PvP only
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vietfox wrote: »
    NBs need:
    - Major defile back on Incap.
    - Major Breach/Fracture on Concealed/Surprise attack
    - Their cloak fixed
    - A better Fear
    - Remove cast time on Soul siphon (i'm against all cast times, but this one in particular is pretty stupid since it's a defensive ulti)

Increase Surprise attacks range so it actually goes off too
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Any realitively tanky target wont get hit for that much. Also think about the skill and money they have to sink into their builds vs how much skill a stamcro or healbot has to put in
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »

Yeah there would have to be some limit to elevation. It would be really fun to be able to port around like that.

cant be climbing up keep walls lmao
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

These NBs will own you regardless if the NB gets buffed or not.
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi
  • SebDeTyra
    SebDeTyra
    ✭✭✭
    Nightblades burst is clunky asf and the easiest burst in the game to avoid. Every other class has something baked in to make the burst hard to avoid like hit through roll, unblockable or delayed burst etc nightblade needs 5 auto attacks to even have access to their main burst and since incapped was nerfed it's the most obvious and easiest thing to block or roll, especially with the sound. Even if you manage to hit incap, the spectral bow doesn't flow smoothly, it just feels off.
  • Zabulus
    Zabulus
    ✭✭✭
    SebDeTyra wrote: »
    Nightblades burst is clunky asf and the easiest burst in the game to avoid. Every other class has something baked in to make the burst hard to avoid like hit through roll, unblockable or delayed burst etc nightblade needs 5 auto attacks to even have access to their main burst and since incapped was nerfed it's the most obvious and easiest thing to block or roll, especially with the sound. Even if you manage to hit incap, the spectral bow doesn't flow smoothly, it just feels off.

What else to say ... NB burst sucks.