Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Lockpicking.. not a raiseable skill?

thilog
thilog
✭✭✭
First off lockpicking.. doesn't seem to raise as a skill.. i take it, it's the same "difficulty" all the time.

Second off, why is the loot completely random? Simple lock chests can give better loot than master locks and often do.

And forcing a lock doesn't really seem to work, best offer i've seen in forcing is 9%.. not much of an offer to break.

Fyi - To pick a lock,
push down until it wiggles and then release, remembering where it wiggled, push again and release, just before where it wiggles to lock the pin.
Edited by thilog on April 18, 2014 9:24AM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I understand the locks are leveled to you level, if you are somewhere above your level you get lots of hard ones, below you level and easy is most common.
    Gear will be according to level so if you are level 30 in a level 25 zone you will get easy locks and around level 20 gear.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    thilog wrote: »
    Second off, why is the loot completely random? Simple lock chests can give better loot than master locks and often do.
    Welcome to TES, where you break 23 lockpicks opening a master chest to get 10 gold and a petty soul gem. :)
  • thilog
    thilog
    ✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    Welcome to TES, where you break 23 lockpicks opening a master chest to get 10 gold and a petty soul gem. :)

It was the same admittedly in skyrim.. you could actually open a master lock and get an empty chest.
  • UnknownXV
    UnknownXV
    ✭✭✭
    How are chests harder in difficulty, skill wise? I haven't noticed a difference between a simple lock and an intermediate one (haven't found a master chest yet).
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    UnknownXV wrote: »
    How are chests harder in difficulty, skill wise? I haven't noticed a difference between a simple lock and an intermediate one (haven't found a master chest yet).
    Less time to pick the lock.
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    UnknownXV wrote: »
    Less time to pick the lock.
    Also I think picks will break more often but of course that doesn't matter one bit since picks are everywhere.
    Well sometimes you get a just a lockpick.
    Edited by PBpsy on April 18, 2014 10:29AM
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • Rhylanna
    Rhylanna
    ✭✭
    PBpsy wrote: »

That's just wrong lol :p
    Fatewalkers NA server, primarily Daggerfall Covenant, 30+ (mature, working folks with kids, dogs, etc!), casual, PVE oriented, small but growing!
    Antique Ordinatus Populus NA server, technically with Aldmeri Dominion but have members in all alliances, 40+ (even ++++!), mature, casual (fun people who sometimes forget what they're doing...or maybe that's just me :p ) antique-ordinatus-populus.enjin.com
  • OZGODUSA
    OZGODUSA
    It's a skill than can be raised. When you get better at it you will be able to do it quicker.
  • jmido8
    jmido8
    ✭✭✭
    There's hardly any difference between master locks and simple locks. I have a couple stacks of lockpicks just because of how stupidly easy the entire design is. You might break 1 lockpick every dozen or so chests, regardless if they're master or not. And yeah, loot quality from "higher" tier chests doesn't seem to change at all.
  • Elvent
    Elvent
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope they add a lockpicking skill when they release thieves guild. Or maybe it will be a passive bonus in the skill line, maybe increases lockpicking time for a couple seconds or something.

It's nice to have that more variety and more elder scrolls feel with skills.
  • YourNameHere
    YourNameHere
    ✭✭✭
    Rhylanna wrote: »
    PBpsy wrote: »

That's just wrong lol :p

But it happened to me. Picked a lock, and the chest had a lockpick in it.
    NA Megaserver / RPer
    Alinyssa Gaethar - AD || Raahni-do - AD || Wind-In-Tree's-Shadow - DC
  • scabrous_ftz
    scabrous_ftz
    ✭✭
    OZGODUSA wrote: »
    It's a skill than can be raised. When you get better at it you will be able to do it quicker.

Exactly. It's a "meta" skill that is improved via eye-hand coordination.

• UnknownXV
    UnknownXV
    ✭✭✭
    I think difficulty should scale with the chest, not just in the amount of time you have to unlock the entire thing, but how much time you have to react to each tumbler. Master lockpicks should require master level reflexes.

But alas, who am I kidding. They'd never make a mechanic that excluded people based on skill.

I am very jaded. MMORPGs are so easy, this lockpicking mechanic is a symptom of a much larger problem.
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭

It was the same admittedly in skyrim.. you could actually open a master lock and get an empty chest.

And in Oblivion ... :)

I find the lockpicking mini-game in TESO the easiest by far of any Elder Scrolls game.

"Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...
  • RangerChad
    RangerChad
    ✭✭✭
    They need to add a skill tree to it. The passive upgrades would be like; lvl 1 Simple, lvl 2, intermediate, lvl 3 Advanced, lvl 4 Master, and Lvl 5 Impossible. You must open so many chests to level up and use a skill point to open the next level of chest. Also if they do this, they need to make the chest have reasonable loot for the difficulty of the chest. lvl 1 has a chance to get green gear, lvl 2 has mostly green gear with a chance for blue. Lvl 3 mostly green, higher chance for blue. Lvl 4 mostly green really high chance for blue, small chance for purple. Lvl 5 guaranteed a blue, slightly higher chance for purple, very small chance for yellow. Something along those lines, perhaps?
  • Bob
    Bob
    ✭✭✭
    Staffs, staffs and even more staffs in my boxes! And nothing more..
    Is this a bug or they troll my DK?
  • Nasuradin_ESO
    Nasuradin_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Bob wrote: »
    Staffs, staffs and even more staffs in my boxes! And nothing more..
    Is this a bug or they troll my DK?

Maybe they are suggesting you should be a fire caster DK.

As for lockpicking, after a while you can just remember at what points the tumblers usually start to jiggle and there is much less trial and error to get the thing to unlock, I can usually get master chests open in half the time it gives me.

• thilog
    thilog
    ✭✭✭
    I think making it a skill would also give you somewhere to put those extra points.. esp if you have the skill point addon, by 34 you'll have spare pts.