The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Do Potions Get Better?

Lonzrick
Lonzrick
Ok, so I admit up front that I haven't done a lot of experimenting or researching... But...

I was doing some Potion making yesterday and nearly fell out of my chair laughing when I got the "Tincture of Invisibility" that lasted for an entire THREE SECONDS!!

Seriously?! After all the time it would take to find the three bits required to make the potion, then get to a table, then craft it....for THREE SECONDS!? By the time I've swallowed it, I'm visible again!

And a few other potions that I made--other than healing, stamina, magicka--seemed similarly hobbled. And even those seem useless to me as there's no real "hotbar" way of using them, unless I'm missing something, which is quite likely.

At this point, the only thing that would make me continue to explore Alchemy is learning that, yes, the first round is THREE SECONDS, but as your skill level goes up, so does the time you're invisible, etc.
  • recrooksb14_ESO
    They will improve when you use better base waters, and you can improve duration through the alchemy skill line (if I remember correctly...darn server maintenance).
  • Vangrave
    Vangrave
    Well, you can bind them to Q in the inventory screen. Hold Q while the cursor is over a potion and it'll bring up the quick potion menu, hold Q while in the world to select which potion is bound to Q. There might be a way to bind individual potions to a button too and maybe that's actually what you were talking about but if there is I don't know it.

As for whether they get better, I have no idea. I remember seeing some potions in a guild store that looked pretty awesome, boosting crit chance and things like that, but I didn't have a particularly good frame of reference for them since I was level 20. Invis might not last longer than 3 seconds at any tier though, the devs might be wary of making a potion last longer than a class invis.
  • Brennan
    Brennan
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to be invisible for more than 3 seconds here is how you do it:

1. Roll a Bosmer or Khajiit
    2. Take points in the Stealthy Racial Trait
    3. Take points in the Stealthy Medium Armor Trait.

FOR THE QUEEN!

:D
  • carazvaneb17_ESO
    I'm also using some mix potions I bought which give extra Health/magicka/stamina all in 1 so it definately gets to be useful
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Brennan wrote: »
    If you want to be invisible for more than 3 seconds here is how you do it:

1. Roll a Bosmer or Khajiit
    2. Take points in the Stealthy Racial Trait
    3. Take points in the Stealthy Medium Armor Trait.

FOR THE QUEEN!

:D

Holding a leafy branch in front of your face or wearing a lampshade on your head seems to work as well.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • Jirki88
    Jirki88
    ✭✭✭
    Just skin a Khajiit and wear it. Master camouflage.
    Veritas et aequitas, et usque ad mortem.
  • Aicilef
    Aicilef
    ✭✭
    As a level 50 alchemist (woot), I can tell you that potions will become pretty great, yes!

You can have...
    - a potion that heals health, magicka AND stamina in one single sip
    - a potion that raises your spell damage and restores magicka
    - a potion that raises your armor and restores health

But the example that you gave, the potion of invisibility, stays indeed at three seconds. Three second invisibility is mainly for nightblades, so they can get the +70% crit, for others the three seconds is indeed pretty useless.
  • Asltok
    Asltok
    Soul Shriven
    Aicilef wrote: »
    Three second invisibility is mainly for nightblades, so they can get the +70% crit, for others the three seconds is indeed pretty useless.

With the huge ability delay in this game rarely do I even get a hit off in those 3 seconds as a nightblade. That's excluding PvP, where you might as well add 2-3 seconds to every move you make (in a seige setting).

What i'm saying, is even as a nightblade the 3 seconds feels very impractical and useless.
  • rtx
    rtx
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow cloak lasts 2.5 seconds and it's very useful, despite huge magicka cost.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yea it's actually better than the skill nightblades can access, at least as a one-off. You can improve other potions quite a bit once you get the ability to add 3 reagents to them too.
  • clocksstoppe
    clocksstoppe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    an unexpected interruption of the combat pace can make all the difference in a pvp fight
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Invis for 3 seconds that can be used while in combat and while in 'locked down' stage is useful. But the other likes 10 seconds of weapon dps etc, they may appear useless, but once you get 3 items mixed and work out what combine combo there are, you can make some interesting combos.

I use
    Columbine, Lady's Smock & Mountain Flower to get potions that restore health, magicka and stamina in one bottle
    In PVP
    Blue Entoloma, Bugloss & Nirnroot when in problem, (Invisibility & Restore Health)

If you want a Full List
    Edited by Natjur on April 15, 2014 11:49PM
  • SexyVette07
    SexyVette07
    ✭✭✭
    The 3 second invisibility potion is just to drop combat. Especially helpful for non NB players. It can be used to get by a pack or elite that you cant kill to do some farming, or simply preventing death while wearing gear that costs a lot to repair. Usually these potions can be found on guild stores for pennies and can save you 20-30g for each death.

But yes, they get more powerful with higher solvents, and also with passives in the alchemy tree.
  • RSram
    RSram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My character is at level VR1 and has all the alchemy stats maxed out and I can only make a 3 second invisibility or stun potion using VR5 solvent.

The "Medical Use"s kill only allows 10% increase induration which isn't much since 10% of 3 seconds is useless.

It should be increased to 10 seconds, like the rest of the potions.

With the exception if making a potion that restores magica, stamina, and health, (when taking damage) the rest of the potions are worthless.

Increase stealth radius might be useful in PVP if a player goes into stealth mode on you (its effect, doesn't last long either). The Mages Guild Magelight is more practical and cost less skill points.

I didn't see any different in the 200 critical or spell damage potions; someone can correct me if I am wrong on this, I just did a quick and then reviewed the FTC logs.

Also many of the reactants only have negative effects, so what's the point of collecting them?

At least in Skyrim the negative potions could be placed on a weapon to increase its damage.
  • Anastasia
    Anastasia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do potions get better as your skill in Alchemy increases/use of ingredients from higher tiers in potions OTHER THAN INVIS? Yup. A lot, but that does NOT include better stealth/invis. Btw 3 secs is longer than the NB one, *raises one eyebrow.

LoL. Invis/stealth in this TESO is literally the suck. No comparison to ANY other triple-A MMO invis/stealth/roguish skill/ability.

Eh. It is what it is though. :s
    Edited by Anastasia on September 25, 2014 4:16AM
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When you get three ingredient upgrade, you can create potions that restore X amount of health immediately Plus X amount over Y seconds ie 234 Points of health plus 234 Points over 10 seconds (from an actual potion I made not random numbers despite how it looks).

This can be handy.

Plus you can have potions that do about five things at once.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • RSram
    RSram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't test this yet, but will invisibility break you out of a stun attack? If so then the 3 second limit would be all you need and make it a practical potion (if the quick menu worked).
  • Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aicilef wrote: »
    As a level 50 alchemist (woot), I can tell you that potions will become pretty great, yes!

You can have...
    - a potion that heals health, magicka AND stamina in one single sip
    - a potion that raises your spell damage and restores magicka
    - a potion that raises your armor and restores health

But the example that you gave, the potion of invisibility, stays indeed at three seconds. Three second invisibility is mainly for nightblades, so they can get the +70% crit, for others the three seconds is indeed pretty useless.

I use it to sneak past mobs that I otherwise can't get around. Useful for getting out of dungeons and past guards.

There is a 4 second invisibility potion (Blue Entoloma, Nirnroot, and Namira's Rot). It doesn't matter what solvent you use, it comes out the same:

mdpfalb.png

I find that Namira's Rot is not very common, so I usually just make the 3-second version.

Here's my standard set of potions. I use the addon "Harvin's Potions Alert" to help trigger switching the active potion, and then prompt me when it's time to use it, though I frequently ignore it.

1. The most powerful potion combo, (Bugloss, Columbine, Mountain Flower), restores Health, Magicka, and Stamina, with an extra boost to Health. There are two other all-in-one potions (Bugloss, Columbine, Dragonthorn) and (Columbine, Lady's Smock, Mountain Flower) but this is the only one with the extra health boost.

2. A Magicka potion that restores Magicka, Health, and boosts Spell Critical: (Columbine, Lady's Smock, Water Hyacinth)

3. A Stamina potion that restores Stamina, Health, and boosts Weapon Critical: (Dragonthorn, Lady's Smock, Water Hyacinth).

There are various other potions that are useful for various situations.

A nice one for a boss fight would be Weapon Crit + Spell Crit (Dragonthorn, Namira's Rot, Water Hyacinth). Keep your self-heals handy, however.

An "Oh crap!" escape potion that restores health, gives a 10 second Unstoppable, and a 3 second invisibility (Blue Entoloma, Columbine, Namira's Rot). For a simpler version without the invisibility, use Wormwood instead of Namira's Rot.

A Mage's Boost potion that restores Magicka, boosts spell crit and spell power (Corn Flower, Lady's Smock, Water Hyacinth)

A Fighter's Boost potion that regenerates Stamina, boosts weapon crit and weapon power (Blessed Thistle, Dragonthorn, Wormwood)

I've come to prefer to use nothing but combo potions that always restore health, because when you die the battle is over. ;-)

Hope this helps!
    Edited by Srugzal on September 26, 2014 5:52PM
  • Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In PvP, the "detection" potion is also quite useful. Requires a cornflower and wormwood. Can be "upgraded" to include various other effects by adding a third ingredient.

As for invisible, I would like to know too what exactly can be expected if you use it in combat. If you listen to NB all over the forum it's obvious that vanishing out of combat is not at all straightforward.
    Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some do, some don't.

Some of them are as effective at Level 1 (natural water) as at VR (Cloud Myst)

Invisibility, Spell Power, Weapon Power, the overall effect and duration is the same, so use the cheap stuff.

Restore's (H/M/S) by themselves or added with the above effects do increase based on potion level though.

My advise is to always hover over the potion to see the difference (if it's already known to you), if not, make a level 1 and then a level 10. If the numbers don't budge, they probably won't at VR either.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • alkoriak
    alkoriak
    ✭✭✭
    If you rely heavily on potions maybe the best choice is an argonian nightblade. Argonian has a passive boost for potions as well as nightblade has another passive, but they only concern stats like health, stamina and magicka. If you use jewelry to reduce cooldown betweem potions by 5 sec you can have almost full time a potion effect on. It can be usefull if you already maximized other stats you want. Also invisibility potions (3 ingredients) can go up to 4 sec invisibility which is enormous considering the nightblades have only 2.5 sec base.
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    alkoriak wrote: »
    If you rely heavily on potions maybe the best choice is an argonian nightblade. Argonian has a passive boost for potions as well as nightblade has another passive, but they only concern stats like health, stamina and magicka. If you use jewelry to reduce cooldown betweem potions by 5 sec you can have almost full time a potion effect on. It can be usefull if you already maximized other stats you want. Also invisibility potions (3 ingredients) can go up to 4 sec invisibility which is enormous considering the nightblades have only 2.5 sec base.
    Argonians should remain slaves. Stop encouraging rebellion.
    Wololo.
  • Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    alkoriak wrote: »

Don't forget the potion-boost enchantments for jewelry. Slap a purple one of those on a blue ring and you're good to go. Also there are self-heal enchantments for weapons (add magicka damage and restore health, magicka, or stamina); the bottom line is, there are a lot of ways to provide a constant healing stream.
  • corrupted
    corrupted
    Soul Shriven
    I've gotten up to 12 secs of invisibility with upgrading the solvent
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    corrupted wrote: »

Do you have any idea how gross a 6 year old body is? That's what this thread is. Put down that shovel and think about what you've done!
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    corrupted wrote: »

Well, yes. That is how it works now.

However you'd have to go back and see how Alchemy was working 6 years ago. Might possibly have been changed in any of the patches over the years.....
  • ZOS_Volpe
    ZOS_Volpe
    admin
    Greetings,

We have closed this topic as it was originally created in 2014 and the information contained within may longer be relevant to the game. In many cases, it's better to create a new thread on a topic that you want to discuss as opposed to bumping one that is rather old.

Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.