The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

What do you need just to find high level mats in the world?

Caroloces
Caroloces
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm kind of puzzled by this. I thought if your char had surpassed level 50 and your particular crafting skill reached level 50 you would be able to gather the highest level materials in the world. I have a nightblade who maxed out all of the clothing skills, did all the research for all of the traits, and is at level 50 in this craft. I decided to concentrate all my equipment crafting in one other toon because of motifs, and I respecced my nightblade so I could use those clothing skill points in other areas. Now, even though my NB still retains his level 50 in clothing, all he sees is jute in the world. I still want him to be able to gather materials like ancestor silk even though he is not actively crafting clothing. Any ideas?
Edited by Caroloces on April 22, 2020 9:14PM
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You need to put your skill points in to get max level mats
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You need to be able to craft max level items, which is max points in the first passive of the crafting line. You need to be level 50 in the craft to max out first passive, so Level 50 is a prerequisite but not sufficient.
  • Caroloces
    Caroloces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, is it sufficient to just put them in the first passive, tailoring (for clothing), or do I have to add them to other passives as well?
    (Whoops! Posted this before I saw Dagoth's response) Thank you both.
    Edited by Caroloces on April 22, 2020 9:30PM
  • MinuitPro
    MinuitPro
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just the first one. There's a correlation between that passive, your level and the node level.

I believe it uses the higher of [Node Type Crafting Passive Level] or [Your Level].
    Then the half the nodes will be [Node Type Crafting Passive Level] and half will be [Your Level], if you level is higher. Otherwise they will be at your level.

Ex:
    • Tailoring 2 / Level CP10 = half of the clothing plants will give you Flax, and half would be Kresh Fiber.
    • Blacksmithing 5 / Level 20 = all the nodes should be Ebonthread
    Edited by MinuitPro on April 22, 2020 9:42PM
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just max out the first one(tailoring), but you may want to put 1 into keen eye to make them easier to see. Also make sure you use your other character that has unraveling maxed out when you break it down or you wont get as much wax etc.
  • KingZeldaMaster
    KingZeldaMaster
    ✭✭✭
    @MinuitPro is correct, I believe. If you level a character to 50 and your CP is already above 150 (for max level crafting materials) but you haven't yet invested any skill points into the corresponding crafting tree, then you will see roughly half of the nodes be max level materials and half be minimum level materials.

I.e. if you have a character at or above CP150 who hasn't invested any points into Metalworking in the Blacksmithing tree, roughly half of the blacksmithing nodes will be rubedite ore while half will be iron ore.
  • Caroloces
    Caroloces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all. This is immensely helpful, and I'm finding that it pretty much corresponds with what I'm experiencing. I guess my ideal setup is to have two master crafters, one for equipment (to make efficient use of motifs), and one for consummables. Those 2 are currently in place. Then all of my other chars should level up the first passive in each craft, and maybe put a couple of points into keen eye. And then, of course, there are those passives that would extend the duration of food, drink, and potions.
    I'm not sure if hireling is worth leveling, apart from my 2 main crafters. Any opinions on that would be welcome.
    Also, any thoughts on Snakeblood in the alchemy line? I seem to recall that a few years ago, this passive might have been bugged, and not worth the points?
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have all crafting traits and the combat ones I want on my "main" pet sorc. It took me a while to get there, but I now have 10+ skillpoints I don't need (at the present).

I can't see the reason to split the two kinds of crafting.

I do personally level up all my alts in crafting too, but that takes a lot of time (for skillpoints) and is likely not worthwhile for all but the compulsive ones like me.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Aelorin
    Aelorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caroloces wrote: »
    Thank you all. This is immensely helpful, and I'm finding that it pretty much corresponds with what I'm experiencing. I guess my ideal setup is to have two master crafters, one for equipment (to make efficient use of motifs), and one for consummables. Those 2 are currently in place. Then all of my other chars should level up the first passive in each craft, and maybe put a couple of points into keen eye. And then, of course, there are those passives that would extend the duration of food, drink, and potions.
    I'm not sure if hireling is worth leveling, apart from my 2 main crafters. Any opinions on that would be welcome.
    Also, any thoughts on Snakeblood in the alchemy line? I seem to recall that a few years ago, this passive might have been bugged, and not worth the points?

The problem with crafting split on 2 characters is that you will not be able to make a lot of furniture, because it is a cross-over craft that uses many crafts at different levels.

If you do not mind that part, then sure, go with 2 crafters that craft different things.
    And so the Elder Scrolls foretold.You will be shy, and I will be bold.
  • Flameweaver1951
    Flameweaver1951
    ✭✭✭
    @MinuitPro is correct, I believe. If you level a character to 50 and your CP is already above 150 (for max level crafting materials) but you haven't yet invested any skill points into the corresponding crafting tree, then you will see roughly half of the nodes be max level materials and half be minimum level materials.

I.e. if you have a character at or above CP150 who hasn't invested any points into Metalworking in the Blacksmithing tree, roughly half of the blacksmithing nodes will be rubedite ore while half will be iron ore.

I can confirm this. I've recently leveedl a new warden to L50. She is not a crafter, but harvests everything she can get. As she was leveling I noticed that there was, roughly, a 50/50 chance between level 1 mats and leveled mats.