Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

What is considered spamming in zone chat?

ZioSam
ZioSam
Soul Shriven
Hi everyone!
Just a quick question. I run a small guild and I'm trying to make it grow with decent results until now.
One method I use to recruit is to link the guild in zone chat (usually starting zones as I'm searching for new players specifically), as I see many guilds doing the same. However, I usually travel to 2-3 different zones and post the message 1 time per zone.
Is it considered spamming? I don't want to break any rules.
Thanks for the answers :smile: !
Have a good day.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously 1 time per zone is ok, since it is entirely different chats. Spamming will be sending messages with no real conversational value over and over again, in the same chat.
    Imagine a guy sending the message "potato" in zone chat. Every 2 seconds. That's spamming.
    Even if he sends it every minute it is spamming, but much less.
    I think that the best way to "understand" if someone is spamming, is to think about how annoying it is while you are trying to have a conversation with someone in chat.
  • Sange13
    Sange13
    ✭✭✭
    "Repeatedly copy/pasting the same or similar message, especially within a short duration" would be the most commonly understood definition.

As for recruiting, almost all guilds have to spam somewhat to pick up members, so I'll offer you the guidelines I used when I was an active recruiter for a semi-professional guild back in Firefall:

*Do not message the same zone more than once per hour.
    *Try to message the 10 most common zones during that period. In an ideal world, all the guild recruiting would happen in the same half dozen zones or so and nobody would be bothered outside of those.
    *Keep the message as short and concise as possible--most people don't actually want to see stuff like, "We're a friendly social, RP, PvP, PvE, dungeon guild that wants to do trials eventually... blah, blah, blah." In other words, don't be generic and sound like the other guys. If your guild has a clear purpose, simply state that purpose. If you are just a social guild, that's okay, but you don't have to come up with a 6 paragraph essay to say that.
    *Provide your guild's link in the message. It's arguably the only important part of your message.
    IGN: Sange-13
  • ZioSam
    ZioSam
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks to both.
    I'll keep in mind your advices!
  • Pog_Mahone
    Pog_Mahone
    ✭✭
    If you post a cyrillic guild recruiting message that take all my chat window, you have a special place in my ignore list.